Aidan

The 92% is the only inaccuracy, should be 86%.

"The above represents what I have been told by suppliers."
Electronic ignition was available long ago, but on more efficient &
more expensive boilers. He says it was generally adopted 5 years ago to
meet the efficiency requirements.

condensing boilers with secondary heat exchangers are generally reckoned to be a poor

substitute for the real thing.

Reckoned by you or I, maybe. However, to Mr & Mrs Joe Public, a boiler
is a boiler. They don't know, and don't want to know, about secondary
heat exchangers whether of aluminium or stainless steel. Their boiler
is broken and they've been told they need a new one.

They will generally go along with what the CORGI fitter recommends
because they don't know enough to make an informed choice. The
installer is liable to recommend something which has the highest profit
margin, i.e., which is cheap for him, & will last for the duration of
the guarantee. Many people have been similarly misled into installing
unsuitable combi boilers.

Mr & Mrs Public won't necessarily get a good boiler and the life cycle
energy consumption of the new condensing boiler is liable to exceed
that of the old boiler it replaced.

This is the opposite of the intended purpose of the legislation.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article . com,
Aidan wrote:
"The above represents what I have been told by suppliers."
Electronic ignition was available long ago, but on more efficient &
more expensive boilers. He says it was generally adopted 5 years ago to
meet the efficiency requirements.

I'd also like to see a real world comparison about how much energy spark
ignition saves. I'll bet the ones quoted assume all the heat from a pilot
light is totally wasted.

--
*What hair colour do they put on the driver's license of a bald man? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Tony Bryer

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
I'd also like to see a real world comparison about how much energy
spark ignition saves. I'll bet the ones quoted assume all the heat
from a pilot light is totally wasted.

I would suspect that the vast majority of it is. If it's an unfanned
BF boiler the pilot heat just blows out of the terminal (as does the
heat in the heat exchanger when the boiler turns off), or if it's a
fanned flue boiler with pilot light (IIRC some Alpha boilers are
like this) the fan has to run at low speed all the time to supply
combustion air for the pilot.

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.10 released 4 April 2005]

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Tony Bryer wrote:
I'd also like to see a real world comparison about how much energy
spark ignition saves. I'll bet the ones quoted assume all the heat
from a pilot light is totally wasted.

I would suspect that the vast majority of it is. If it's an unfanned BF
boiler the pilot heat just blows out of the terminal (as does the heat
in the heat exchanger when the boiler turns off),

Well, it will do, but via the heat exchanger? So some of the heat from it
will end up in there?

--
*I have my own little world - but it's OK...they know me here*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk

andrewpreece wrote:

I heard that there were problems with the first Turbomax models but that
they have ironed them out. It might be a good idea to buy a boiler that
has been around for at least three years, to benefit from from any teething
troubles that show up being fixed. Just an idea,

We have a Valliant "turboMAX plus" installed about 5 (maybe 6) years ago
running the 4 bedroom flat before switching to heat the shop then
switching back to do the flat again.
As the shop is (was) a cold old place as is the flat (Victorian) it's
running for at least 16 hours a day during winter months.

Had a service issue with a sticky diverter valve that was replaced under
warranty. Same problem re-occurs a couple of times a year i.e. no hot
water which is easily rectified by switching off mains on spur and
powering up again. So in-frequent I've not bothered fixing it.

Oh, and it's never been serviced either.

So, yes, very happy with it.

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)

Ed Sirett

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 12:03:49 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article . com,
Aidan wrote:
"The above represents what I have been told by suppliers."
Electronic ignition was available long ago, but on more efficient &
more expensive boilers. He says it was generally adopted 5 years ago to
meet the efficiency requirements.

I'd also like to see a real world comparison about how much energy spark
ignition saves. I'll bet the ones quoted assume all the heat from a pilot
light is totally wasted.

It's reckoned to move the SEDBUK by 4% say the Energy Savings Trust.
That's plausible.

Ed Sirett

wrote:
I'd also like to see a real world comparison about how much energy
spark ignition saves. I'll bet the ones quoted assume all the heat
from a pilot light is totally wasted.

I would suspect that the vast majority of it is. If it's an unfanned
BF boiler the pilot heat just blows out of the terminal (as does the
heat in the heat exchanger when the boiler turns off), or if it's a
fanned flue boiler with pilot light (IIRC some Alpha boilers are
like this) the fan has to run at low speed all the time to supply
combustion air for the pilot.

It's the lower end of the market that used to do this trick.
Pott Puma (some models). Saunier Duval. Vokera.

The biggest single factor between the older an new styles is the
introduction of a fan.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article . uk,
Ed Sirett wrote:
I'd also like to see a real world comparison about how much energy
spark ignition saves. I'll bet the ones quoted assume all the heat
from a pilot light is totally wasted.

It's reckoned to move the SEDBUK by 4% say the Energy Savings Trust.
That's plausible.

Ok. It's just that I could easily modify my old Kingfisher to not run the
pilot light when not in use, and to light it by spark ignition when it is.

--
*A person who smiles in the face of adversity probably has a scapegoat *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
raden

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article . uk,
Ed Sirett wrote:
I'd also like to see a real world comparison about how much energy
spark ignition saves. I'll bet the ones quoted assume all the heat
from a pilot light is totally wasted.

It's reckoned to move the SEDBUK by 4% say the Energy Savings Trust.
That's plausible.

Ok. It's just that I could easily modify my old Kingfisher to not run the
pilot light when not in use, and to light it by spark ignition when it is.

As long as you're aware of the fact that you might have insurance
problems if you modify your boiler.

Of course, if you want to do this with a minimum of messing around,
you're prolly best off just putting a netaheat ignition box in there

If you really want to DIY, I can lob you an HT transformer etc

--
geoff
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
raden wrote:
Ok. It's just that I could easily modify my old Kingfisher to not run
the pilot light when not in use, and to light it by spark ignition when
it is.

As long as you're aware of the fact that you might have insurance
problems if you modify your boiler.

Heh heh. As with everything else I ignore. ;-)

Of course, if you want to do this with a minimum of messing around,
you're prolly best off just putting a netaheat ignition box in there

I've got one from something else looking for a home.

If you really want to DIY, I can lob you an HT transformer etc

Thanks very much. But the whole project is rather far down the line -
given I don't find my gas bills excessive. It was just a thought.

But I'm intending replacing the boiler later this year since I'm going to
do a complete refurkle of the bathroom. So look out for a new thread about
boilers - and ignore it. ;-)

--
*And don't start a sentence with a conjunction *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Doctor Evil

Ed Sirett wrote:
I'd also like to see a real world comparison about how much energy
spark ignition saves. I'll bet the ones quoted assume all the heat
from a pilot light is totally wasted.

It's reckoned to move the SEDBUK by 4% say the Energy Savings Trust.
That's plausible.

Ok. It's just that I could easily modify my old Kingfisher to not run the
pilot light when not in use, and to light it by spark ignition when it

is.

As long as you're aware of the fact that you might have insurance
problems if you modify your boiler.

Of course, if you want to do this with a minimum of messing around,
you're prolly best off just putting a netaheat ignition box in there

If you really want to DIY, I can lob you an HT transformer etc

Maxie, don't encourage madness.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
raden

raden wrote:
Ok. It's just that I could easily modify my old Kingfisher to not run
the pilot light when not in use, and to light it by spark ignition when
it is.

As long as you're aware of the fact that you might have insurance
problems if you modify your boiler.

Heh heh. As with everything else I ignore. ;-)

and ignore it. ;-)

I'm detecting a pattern here

likewise

--
geoff
Doctor Evil

"raden" wrote in message
In message .com,
Aidan writes
As best as I can recall it was the recorded life expectancy, so this
suggests figures collected over 7, 10 or 15 years. A bullet-proof
kryptonite mythical boiler coming on the market now would take several
years to affect the data.

Like I said, it's some months ago, I've probably binned the magazine
and can't be bothered to look for it.

Dr. Evil says that "Silicon coating has eliminated that problem."
Which brochure did he read that in, I wonder?

Ah, but the laws of physics in dIMMworld
are different to those in the
real world

Maxie, the laws of physics are same in Din Lins world. If you fell off that
tree you were up in your frock, you would drop to the ground.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Ed Sirett

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 22:51:08 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article . uk,
Ed Sirett wrote:
I'd also like to see a real world comparison about how much energy
spark ignition saves. I'll bet the ones quoted assume all the heat
from a pilot light is totally wasted.

It's reckoned to move the SEDBUK by 4% say the Energy Savings Trust.
That's plausible.

Ok. It's just that I could easily modify my old Kingfisher to not run the
pilot light when not in use, and to light it by spark ignition when it is.

Modifying a gas appliance for whatever motive is a bit akin to making diy
vehicle brakes. You might well make something that is safe but convincing
anyone that is was safe if (through no fault of you own) things go wrong
will be impossible.

To do the modification I think you would find it much harder than you
might think. You would have to add an additional solenoid gas
valve and somehow rig the thermocouple valve to always let gas through.

Then you would need an off the shelf sequencer (say a Pactrol unit [1])
which has all the ignition and flame supervision stuff in it with the fan
supply and APS replaced with a slow acting mains relay.

I'd be interested to read how you thought you could modify the boiler
easily.

[1] A complete set of basic electronics for controlling the innards of a
gas boiler, favoured by minor manufacturers.

Doctor Evil

news

Ed Sirett wrote:
[...]

I wouldn't be interested at all as he is an incompetent idiot. A qualified
experienced engineer converting the appliance would be acceptable.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download

Dave Plowman (News)

In article .uk,
Ed Sirett wrote:
Ok. It's just that I could easily modify my old Kingfisher to not run
the pilot light when not in use, and to light it by spark ignition
when it is.

Modifying a gas appliance for whatever motive is a bit akin to making diy
vehicle brakes. You might well make something that is safe but convincing
anyone that is was safe if (through no fault of you own) things go wrong
will be impossible.

Yes - I see that. It was only musing.

--
*A plateau is a high form of flattery.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article .uk,
Ed Sirett wrote:
Modifying a gas appliance for whatever motive is a bit akin to making diy
vehicle brakes. You might well make something that is safe but convincing
anyone that is was safe if (through no fault of you own) things go wrong
will be impossible.

My SDI Rover has Jaguar discs all round. ;-) It originally had rear drums.
Doesn't seem to be a problem at MOT time, though.

--
*I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Doctor Evil

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article .uk,
Ed Sirett wrote:
Modifying a gas appliance for whatever motive is a bit akin to making

diy
vehicle brakes. You might well make something that is safe but

convincing
anyone that is was safe if (through no fault of you own) things go wrong
will be impossible.

My SDI Rover has Jaguar discs all round. ;-) It originally had rear drums.
Doesn't seem to be a problem at MOT time, though.

Until you have an insurance claim and have not stated the change to standard
spec. Then no payout.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Doctor Evil wrote:
My SDI Rover has Jaguar discs all round. ;-) It originally had rear
drums. Doesn't seem to be a problem at MOT time, though.

Until you have an insurance claim and have not stated the change to
standard spec. Then no payout.

Tsk tsk. It's on classic insurance and all modifications have been
notified. It's a very common mod to these cars.

Just because you're simply a fitter rather than an engineer capable of
original thought doesn't mean everyone is.

--
*I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore I am perfect*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Doctor Evil

Doctor Evil wrote:
My SDI Rover has Jaguar discs all round. ;-) It originally had rear
drums. Doesn't seem to be a problem at MOT time, though.

Until you have an insurance claim and have not stated the change to
standard spec. Then no payout.

Tsk tsk. It's on classic insurance and all modifications have been
notified. It's a very common mod to these cars.

Just because you're simply a fitter rather than an engineer capable of
original thought doesn't mean everyone is.

Madness! Total madness!

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Ed Sirett

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 21:54:25 +0100, Doctor Evil wrote:

news

Ed Sirett wrote:
[...]

Read my first paragraph. The discussion is hyptothetical about what it
_would_ take, the sub-text being that from my POV whatever it would
take would likely be too much hassle.

Aidan

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Just because you're simply a fitter rather than an engineer capable of
original thought doesn't mean everyone is.

A fitter? You're calling him a fitter now?

That could get you sued for libel, by the fitters' union.
I think you owe fitters an apology.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
Aidan wrote:
Just because you're simply a fitter rather than an engineer capable of
original thought doesn't mean everyone is.

A fitter? You're calling him a fitter now?

That could get you sued for libel, by the fitters' union.
I think you owe fitters an apology.

Done.;-)

--
*Why is the word abbreviation so long? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article .uk,
Ed Sirett wrote:
I wouldn't be interested at all as he is an incompetent idiot. A
qualified experienced engineer converting the appliance would be
acceptable.

Read my first paragraph. The discussion is hyptothetical about what it
_would_ take, the sub-text being that from my POV whatever it would
take would likely be too much hassle.

My initial thought was to look at how it's achieved on an older pretty
basic boiler like the Neataheat.
But like I said it was only musing.

--
*He who dies with the most toys is, nonetheless, dead.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Doctor Evil

Ed Sirett wrote:
I wouldn't be interested at all as he is an incompetent idiot. A
qualified experienced engineer converting the appliance would be
acceptable.

Read my first paragraph. The discussion is hyptothetical about what it
_would_ take, the sub-text being that from my POV whatever it would
take would likely be too much hassle.

My initial thought was to look at how it's achieved on an older pretty
basic boiler like the Neataheat.
But like I said it was only musing.

If you want to kill yourself go ahead. I fear you may take someone nice
with you. I see the newspaper report: "Electric caber tossing man commits
suicide with an electronic ignition unit."

So, don't touch things you haven't clue about. Leave it alone and get
yourself a modern condensing boiler. Get a proper CORGI man to do it as you
will totally screw it up.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Doctor Evil wrote:
My initial thought was to look at how it's achieved on an older pretty
basic boiler like the Neataheat.
But like I said it was only musing.

If you want to kill yourself go ahead. I fear you may take someone nice
with you. I see the newspaper report: "Electric caber tossing man commits
suicide with an electronic ignition unit."

So you also write newspaper headlines? Is there no end to your talents?

But I'd expect you'd keep a team of proof readers in full time employment.

So, don't touch things you haven't clue about.

If I did decide to do this, I'd do it properly. No using hacksaws on
plastic pipe. I have a decent grounding on how to do things like this
*properly*.

Leave it alone and get yourself a modern condensing boiler.

I might well do that as it's time to modernise the bathroom. But I don't
have room for your twin 'combi's'.

Get a proper CORGI man to do it as you will totally screw it up.

The last CORGI person to enter this house was a con man per excellence.
Wanted to replace the boiler when all that was wrong was a thermocouple.
Said it was burning the floor. And that it didn't have enough ventilation.
Left it in bits, and stole some of them. Went round the house and attached
red labels to every gas appliance.

I take it you're CORGI registered?

--
*Tell me to 'stuff it' - I'm a taxidermist.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Doctor Evil

Doctor Evil wrote:

My initial thought was to look at how it's achieved on an older pretty
basic boiler like the Neataheat.
But like I said it was only musing.

If you want to kill yourself go ahead. I fear you may take someone nice
with you. I see the newspaper report: "Electric caber tossing man

commits
suicide with an electronic ignition unit."

So you also write newspaper headlines? Is there no end to your talents?

No end at all.

So, don't touch things you haven't clue about.

If I did decide to do this, I'd do it properly.

You can't do it properly, you are biodger and haven't a clue. LEAVE IT
ALONE.

Leave it alone and get yourself a modern condensing boiler.

I might well do that as it's time to
modernise the bathroom. But I don't
have room for your twin 'combi's'.

Don't do it your self, you are useless. Get proper companies to do it for
you.

Get a proper CORGI man to do it
as you will totally screw it up.

The last CORGI person to enter this
house was a con man per excellence.
Wanted to replace the boiler when
all that was wrong was a thermocouple.
Said it was burning the floor. And that
it didn't have enough ventilation.
Left it in bits, and stole some of them.
Went round the house and attached
red labels to every gas appliance.

And you went around and switched them all back on again. I can't believe
this. This man is totally dangerous.

raden

In message , Doctor Evil
writes

news

Ed Sirett wrote:
[...]

How so?

If he modified it and there were consequences, he would be uninsured
against the fault

--
geoff
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Doctor Evil wrote:

You can't do it properly, you are biodger and haven't a clue. LEAVE IT
ALONE.

Like I said you need a team of proof readers.

Leave it alone and get yourself a modern condensing boiler.

I might well do that as it's time to modernise the bathroom. But I
don't have room for your twin 'combi's'.

Don't do it your self, you are useless. Get proper companies to do it
for you.

Like I said you need a team of proof readers.

Get a proper CORGI man to do it as you will totally screw it up.

The last CORGI person to enter this house was a con man per
excellence. Wanted to replace the boiler when all that was wrong was a
thermocouple. Said it was burning the floor. And that it didn't have
enough ventilation. Left it in bits, and stole some of them. Went
round the house and attached red labels to every gas appliance.

And you went around and switched them all back on again. I can't believe
this. This man is totally dangerous.

You 'switch on' gas appliances?

Like I said you need a team of proof readers.

--
*Prepositions are not words to end sentences with *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Doctor Evil

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Doctor Evil
writes

news

Ed Sirett wrote:
[...]

An experienced and qualified engineer adapting the controls of a boiler
could be regarded as "monkeying" with it and rendering the appliance
dangerous. An electric caber tosser doing it would be. Although insurance
companies will find a way not to pay up.

raden

In message , Doctor Evil
writes
I'd be interested to read how you thought you could modify the boiler
easily.

I wouldn't be interested at all as he is an incompetent idiot. A

qualified
experienced engineer converting the appliance would be acceptable.

How so?

If he modified it and there were consequences, he would be uninsured
against the fault

An experienced and qualified engineer adapting the controls of a boiler
could be regarded as "monkeying" with it and rendering the appliance
dangerous. An electric caber tosser doing it would be. Although insurance
companies will find a way not to pay up.

dIMM on his best incomprehensible form, as usual

--
geoff
Doctor Evil

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Doctor Evil
writes
I'd be interested to read how you thought you could modify the

boiler
easily.

I wouldn't be interested at all as he is an incompetent idiot. A

qualified
experienced engineer converting the appliance would be acceptable.

How so?

If he modified it and there were consequences, he would be uninsured
against the fault

An experienced and qualified engineer adapting the controls of a boiler
could be regarded as "monkeying" with it and rendering the appliance
dangerous. An electric caber tosser doing it would be. Although

insurance
companies will find a way not to pay up.

dIMM on his best incomprehensible form, as usual

Maxie, Dim Lin, the Oriental enchantress, converts ignitions?

Doctor Evil

Doctor Evil wrote:

You can't do it properly, you are
bodger and haven't a clue. LEAVE IT
ALONE.

Like I said

Don't say anything at all. You are a health hazard.

raden

In message , Doctor Evil
writes

An experienced and qualified engineer adapting the controls of a boiler
could be regarded as "monkeying" with it and rendering the appliance
dangerous. An electric caber tosser doing it would be. Although

insurance
companies will find a way not to pay up.

dIMM on his best incomprehensible form, as usual

Maxie, Dim Lin, the Oriental enchantress, converts ignitions?

dIMM on his best incomprehensible form, as usual
--
geoff

Good impartial advice about boilers. Peter Balcombe UK diy 4 June 5th 05 11:38 PM
Condensing Boiler News RedOnRed UK diy 0 April 9th 05 05:37 PM
Suitable bath taps for combi boilers First Network UK diy 1 February 11th 05 02:40 PM
New regs for who can fit gas boilers?? Lobster UK diy 15 December 10th 04 07:19 PM
how do I ensure there is a cold water path to the boilers return BigWallop UK diy 0 July 3rd 03 01:59 PM