Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Any idea how to cut an ostrich egg in half?

It used a Bill ders drill.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Paul" wrote in message
John Rumm wrote:
On 21/03/2021 09:59, Paul wrote:

It would be easier, to just print an egg-shaped item on
a 3D printer, use a filament which is paint-able with
acrylic paint, and make the Faberge egg that way.

https://all3dp.com/2/beginner-s-guid...rints-pla-abs/

Were 3D printers commonly available 15 years ago when the question was
asked?

And it's not in the spirit of Faberge eggs anyway :-)

I did like the comment about "a drill or a hammer" though.
That's one tough egg. The bird inside must have a diamond beak,
to get out.

Paul

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes we will sell for a good price on the black market cos all we see is
black. Actually that is not the case but it was just too tempting.

Public flogged, How do you know we might not enjoy it? It takes all sorts.
At least I did not suggest you sawed the whole Ostrich in half then the egg
would be softer and you could eat well for a few days.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

Yes I was thinking that.

I'm not sure where you would get either egg these days anyway.

Emu eggs are still available here, but more restricted than they once
were.

You might need to shell out a lot for an Eggcelent cutting tool nowadays.

I'd have you publicly flogged for that if you hadn't
so obviously enjoyed that the last time. And don’t
try claiming that we cant flog the blind either.

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
susanb1222 wrote

The egg, I'm using an Emu egg, is thicker and stronger than you think.
An Ostrich egg is probably stronger (think of what's inside and has to
be contained). I've used a VERY fine tooth saw or a Dremel Cutting
tool on LOW speed. The egg MUST be Secured to avoid uneven cut.

I'm making Faberge Egg replicas for Christmas presents this year using
EMU Eggs.

Given that it was 15 years ago, you are just a tad late.

--
For full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...lf-316850-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 Mar 2021 03:44:29 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile pest's latest troll**** unread

--
The Natural Philosopher about senile Rodent:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/03/2021 14:04, Theo wrote:
Paul wrote:
Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Yes I was thinking that.
I'm not sure where you would get either egg these days anyway.
You might need to shell out a lot for an Eggcelent cutting tool nowadays.
Brian

The eggs are available, because there are small hobby farms keeping
exotic birds.

Ostrich eggs are £25 in Waitrose. I suppose people must buy them...

Theo

One of the Scottish farms followed on "This Farming Life" on
BBC2 tried rearing Emu's ? for meat, but gave up because it
cost more than the potential returns. Also tricky to incubate
them successfully.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've been cutting Ostrich & Emu Eggshells. Tried Everything.
First pencil where you want cut. Use a COPING saw to gently make a shallow cut in egg all around. Then, go around again, going deeper with each round until egg is cut in half. Will be a little rough, Put med. grit sandpaper flat and rub shell half over it 'til smooth. Trim will cover -up flaws.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...lf-316850-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

susanb wrote

I've been cutting Ostrich & Emu Eggshells. Tried Everything.

First pencil where you want cut. Use a COPING saw to gently make a
shallow cut in egg all around. Then, go around again, going deeper with
each round until egg is cut in half. Will be a little rough, Put med.
grit sandpaper flat and rub shell half over it 'til smooth. Trim will
cover -up flaws.

Rather likely that in 15 years he managed to work it out for himself or gave
up.

--
For full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...lf-316850-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More Heavy Trolling by the Senile Octogenarian Nym-Shifting Ozzie Cretin!

On Mon, 19 Apr 2021 07:54:11 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Website (from 2007) dedicated to the 86-year-old trolling senile
cretin from Oz:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2021 09:00, jon wrote:
On Sun, 18 Apr 2021 21:01:02 +0000, susanb wrote:

I've been cutting Ostrich & Emu Eggshells. Tried Everything.
First pencil where you want cut. Use a COPING saw to gently make a
shallow cut in egg all around. Then, go around again, going deeper with
each round until egg is cut in half. Will be a little rough, Put med.
grit sandpaper flat and rub shell half over it 'til smooth. Trim will
cover -up flaws.

Use a guillotine.

laser cutter

--
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over
the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that

Frédéric Bastiat
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 20/04/2021 09:00, jon wrote:
On Sun, 18 Apr 2021 21:01:02 +0000, susanb wrote:

I've been cutting Ostrich & Emu Eggshells. Tried Everything.
First pencil where you want cut. Use a COPING saw to gently make a
shallow cut in egg all around. Then, go around again, going deeper with
each round until egg is cut in half. Will be a little rough, Put med.
grit sandpaper flat and rub shell half over it 'til smooth. Trim will
cover -up flaws.

Use a guillotine.

laser cutter

Angle grinder.
--
bert

Powdercoating panel seaming idea. Ernie Leimkuhler Metalworking 18 July 21st 04 03:10 PM
Veritas twin screw idea? keith Woodworking 2 April 16th 04 03:07 PM
Half mask filters CandT UK diy 0 February 16th 04 11:25 AM
Need Creative Idea for built in table saw R. Lawrence Woodworking 3 January 3rd 04 11:42 AM
shower install - half inch 15mm elbow ? Matthew Thomasson UK diy 6 October 30th 03 08:35 AM