Junior Member

Default Foundations how long to pour?

I going to be pouring foundations for a dwarf wall conservatory soon, unfortunatly it looks like I will have to mix the concrete myself using a mixer rather than use ready mixed. Over what period of time can the concrete be poured, as I'm worried that the first lot will start setting before it is all finished . I'm guessing it will take a quite a few hours to mix enough up to complete the foundations, I've estimated that around 2.7m3 is required.

Thanks
Andy
Tony Bryer

In article , Pike wrote:
I going to be pouring foundations for a dwarf wall conservatory
soon, unfortunatly it looks like I will have to mix the concrete
myself using a mixer rather than use ready mixed. Over what period
of time can the concrete be poured, as I'm worried that the first
lot will start setting before it is all finished .

Even if it does there's no real problem. If you've got the sort of
mixer that goes on a rotating stand it may make life easier if you can
position the mixer so that you shovel the ballast straight into it
then rotate and tip straight into the trench, rather than barrowing
wet concrete (which is heavy)

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.10 released 4 April 2005]

Christian McArdle

I going to be pouring foundations for a dwarf wall conservatory soon,
unfortunatly it looks like I will have to mix the concrete myself using
a mixer rather than use ready mixed.

Unfortunately, it's probably too late to mention, but the following system
can be useful when readymix concrete is unobtainable.

www.ezebuilder.co.uk.

I only used the steel base, but they also do bolt on dwarf walls, which
seems a lot easier than getting a brickie in!

Fitting the base was simplicity itself. You just need a few 0.45m cubes of
concrete under where the legs go, easily dug with a shovel. I simply used
440x230x100 dense concrete blocks mortared together and surrounded by a
little wet concrete. This isn't the recommended method, but has worked
perfectly.

It's a bit more expensive than the heavy approach, but makes it a lot
easier, especially when access is limited. It reduces the weight of
materials very considerably.

Christian.

Christian McArdle wrote:
I going to be pouring foundations for a dwarf wall conservatory soon,
unfortunatly it looks like I will have to mix the concrete myself using
a mixer rather than use ready mixed.

Unfortunately, it's probably too late to mention, but the following system
can be useful when readymix concrete is unobtainable.

www.ezebuilder.co.uk.

I hope they put more thought into the products than they did into the
website!

MBQ

Christian McArdle

I hope they put more thought into the products than they did into the
website!

Yes, the web "designer" responsible could certainly use a little
re-education.

Christian.

The Natural Philosopher

Tony Bryer wrote:

In article , Pike wrote:

I going to be pouring foundations for a dwarf wall conservatory
soon, unfortunatly it looks like I will have to mix the concrete
myself using a mixer rather than use ready mixed. Over what period
of time can the concrete be poured, as I'm worried that the first
lot will start setting before it is all finished .

Even if it does there's no real problem. If you've got the sort of
mixer that goes on a rotating stand it may make life easier if you can
position the mixer so that you shovel the ballast straight into it
then rotate and tip straight into the trench, rather than barrowing
wet concrete (which is heavy)

About a couple of hours it stays more or less liquid..

Oh bugger. The cat's having kittens behind the 19" rack and theres
placenta all over the place.

Excuse me...nature calls..
Bob Minchin

--
pike

Have you checked to see if there is a Mixamate service in your area?

Normally listed in Yellow pages. These guys turn up with a wagon full of
ballast and cement and water. Their wagon has a big mixer fixed on the back
and they mix while you barrow and pour. They provide barrows. you will need
two people barrowing full time and possible someone to level off/tamp plus
wifey to make tea for the operator. They allow you 30 mins per M cubed to
place it before the possibility of additional charges. Mugs of tea usually
work to distract the operator from looking at his watch.
The best bit is that you order the nominal quantity you need and the chap
will mix a bit less/bit more to complete the job.
I've used them a few times and overall it works out quite cost/time
effective. Last time was a couple of years ago and it cost about £80/m
cubed.

Bob

:::Jerry::::

"Christian McArdle" wrote in
message t...
I hope they put more thought into the products than they did into

the
website!

Yes, the web "designer" responsible could certainly use a little
re-education.

meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Publisher 2000"

Says it all really..... Sadly. :~(

Rick

On Wed, 25 May 2005 06:33:22 +0100, pike
wrote:

I going to be pouring foundations for a dwarf wall conservatory soon,
unfortunatly it looks like I will have to mix the concrete myself using
a mixer rather than use ready mixed. Over what period of time can the
concrete be poured, as I'm worried that the first lot will start
setting before it is all finished . I'm guessing it will take a quite a
few hours to mix enough up to complete the foundations, I've estimated
that around 2.7m3 is required.

Thanks
Andy

I mix smaller ammounts, what I do is put the mixer on a stand neer the
hole, fill, mix and pour into hole, move mixer. Working from one end
to the other, 10-15 minuites a mix, OK so the start may be getting
hard by the time I get to the end, but I am always putting my new mix
next to stuff thats still wet. On hot days it will set faster -
obvious

You need to be VERY fit to do 2.7 cubes in one go, thats about 5
tonnes of ballast to shovel into the mixer. Plus all the cement and
water. You need to choose weather you can work in for this sort of
level of physical endevor, unless you are a super athlete.

If you are in a rural area, I suggest you ask the farmers if they know
anybody with a mixer on the back of a tractor.

In an urban area, I suggest you look in yellow pages for a mix &
barrow type operation.

Rick

googlebot

news
wrote:

[...]

Well speaking as a slightly overweight and generally unfit 25 year old. I
managed to do the very same foundation in around 5 hours, it was a very hot
day and yes i was a little cream crackered but with me mixing and a mate
pouring it worked a treat. The trick is to put your ingredients into the
mixer in the right order. 3/4 of the water 1/2 the ballast, all of the
cement, then the rest of the ballast and add water until correct. Worked for
me and you get the full mixer capacity out of the mixer.

The Natural Philosopher

googlebot wrote:

The trick is to put your ingredients into the
mixer in the right order. 3/4 of the water 1/2 the ballast, all of the
cement, then the rest of the ballast and add water until correct. Worked for
me and you get the full mixer capacity out of the mixer.

You didn't use any sand?
Tony Bryer

In article , The Natural
Philosopher wrote:
You didn't use any sand?

Most people use all-in ballast which doesn't need any, i.e. the ballast
is a mix of sand and stones

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.10 released 4 April 2005]

The Natural Philosopher

Tony Bryer wrote:

In article , The Natural
Philosopher wrote:

You didn't use any sand?

Most people use all-in ballast which doesn't need any, i.e. the ballast
is a mix of sand and stones

Ah. Semantics. To me ballast is just the chippings...isn't aggregate the
word for the mixture?
googlebot

t...
Tony Bryer wrote:

In article , The Natural
Philosopher wrote:

You didn't use any sand?

Most people use all-in ballast which doesn't need any, i.e. the ballast
is a mix of sand and stones

Ah. Semantics. To me ballast is just the chippings...isn't aggregate the
word for the mixture?

No its the word for the average score. ;-)

Junior Member

Thanks for all your helpful suggestions, in the end I used a Mixamate service to pour my foundations. I was very lucky as the driver said he could get far enough up my drive to point the chute straight into the foundations, job was done in about 30 minutes. All the father in law and me had to do was push the concrete around the foundations and level it and the best bit was that it worked out cheaper than buying the materials,hiring a mixer and mixing it myself.

Pike