Stephen Gower

Default Short Doors

The internal doors sold by the Sheds round here come in a variety
of widths (although the majority seem to be 30" width), but only
78" high. The instructions on the moulded panel ones say a maximum
of 5mm can be trimmed from any edge (so 1cm off the total height),
while the wooden ones give a maximum of 12mm per edge so the door
will still be 77" high. The doorframes in our flat need the doors
to be between 76" and 76.5" - we're fine with the standard 30"
width.

Is anything likely to actually go wrong if I trim these doors more
than the instructions say I should, or are the Sheds just covering
themselves? I don't really want to go down this route, so can
anyone suggest a source of cheap doors 30" wide, but about 77" high
before trimming?
--
Selah
nightjar

"Stephen Gower" wrote in message
The internal doors sold by the Sheds round here come in a variety
of widths (although the majority seem to be 30" width), but only
78" high. The instructions on the moulded panel ones say a maximum
of 5mm can be trimmed from any edge (so 1cm off the total height),
while the wooden ones give a maximum of 12mm per edge so the door
will still be 77" high. The doorframes in our flat need the doors
to be between 76" and 76.5" - we're fine with the standard 30"
width.

Is anything likely to actually go wrong if I trim these doors more
than the instructions say I should, or are the Sheds just covering
themselves? ...

The moulded panel doors will have something like a honeycomb fill in the
centre and only a certain amount of wood on the edges, to permit trimming.
Cut too far and you will expose the core. You can solve that problem by
fitting your own edging strip into the cut edge, but the proportions of the
door might look a bit odd. On solid wooden doors, the problem is likely to
be whether you get too close to the joints and weaken the door.

Colin Bignell

Mike

"Stephen Gower" wrote in message
The internal doors sold by the Sheds round here come in a variety
of widths (although the majority seem to be 30" width), but only
78" high. The instructions on the moulded panel ones say a maximum
of 5mm can be trimmed from any edge (so 1cm off the total height),
while the wooden ones give a maximum of 12mm per edge so the door
will still be 77" high. The doorframes in our flat need the doors
to be between 76" and 76.5" - we're fine with the standard 30"
width.

I've trimmed about 12mm top and bottom from various Wickes doors. You do
begin to expose some of the internal structure sometimes though so a bit of
making good with the Resin W is required.

David Lang

Hi Stephen
while the wooden ones give a maximum of 12mm per edge so the door
will still be 77" high. The doorframes in our flat need the doors
to be between 76" and 76.5" - we're fine with the standard 30"
width.

The problem is weakening the joint. I doubt if an inch off each end would
do that, but it's worth looking at the top & bottom rails.

Dave