James Harvey

Default Help! Restain Luan Doors?

Hi,

Just found this group, and wish I had before I started my first attempt at
staining. Oh well, here's the situation:

I stained replacement doors with three coats of Minwax Dark Walnut oil
stain, trying to match the color of other existing doors in my house. At
some point later, I decided the original doors must have been stained with a
wood dye. The base color of the original doors ws stained brown with
black-colored graining.

The wood of the original doors is luan as well, as evidenced by manufacturer
stamping. They were prolly built in the late '70s.

The new doors are top-coated with two coats of Minwax Fast-Drying
Polyurethane (satin finish).

Is it too late to change the color without a tremendous amount of work, if
at all? Will I have to strip off the sealer, the old stain, or both? How?
Would tintable lacquer work without any stripping and still show the grain?
Would de-waxed shellac work without any stripping

Or, am I screwed to the point where I'll have to buy new doors and try
again? Any advice much appreciated?

TIA,
James

Waterproof doors for bathroom cupboard Forgone Conclusion UK diy 0 November 23rd 03 05:25 PM
Stripped doors in Edinburg (experience; long) robin UK diy 0 September 1st 03 02:49 PM
Wide Wardrobe Doors Andrew May UK diy 1 August 15th 03 09:01 AM
Kitchen cabents using Mills Pride boxes and custom made doors / drawer fronts David Jensen Woodworking 9 August 6th 03 05:15 AM