myk

Default Hot Water

Hi
Could anyone tell me what temperature domestic hot water should be set to.
Thanks
myk

Christian McArdle

Could anyone tell me what temperature domestic hot water should be set to.

Any hot water cylinder should be set to 55C or above, to avoid legionnaries
disease. Any heat bank or thermal store should be set to 70C or above, to
provide sufficient headroom for the heat exchanger.

The outlet temperature must be set to 60C or below. If there are children,
or infirm people, then the outlet should be set to 40C, provided this does
not compromise the water vessel temperature above.

Some systems allow separate setting of outlet temperature and hot water
cylinder temperature. Some systems don't, so should be set between 55C and
60C.

Christian.

myk

Christian McArdle wrote in message
t...
Could anyone tell me what temperature domestic hot water should be set

to.

Any hot water cylinder should be set to 55C or above, to avoid

legionnaries
disease. Any heat bank or thermal store should be set to 70C or above, to
provide sufficient headroom for the heat exchanger.

The outlet temperature must be set to 60C or below. If there are children,
or infirm people, then the outlet should be set to 40C, provided this does
not compromise the water vessel temperature above.

Some systems allow separate setting of outlet temperature and hot water
cylinder temperature. Some systems don't, so should be set between 55C and
60C.

Christian.

Thanks for your prompt answer Christian, mines coming out of the tap at
57/59c which is about righ.t
myk

andrewpreece

"myk" wrote in message

[...]

By experiment I found that 50C was the absolute maximum I could hold my hand
in
indefinitely without being forced to withdraw it ( not pleasant though ). As
the previous
poster has pointed out, 60C is a maximum, I suspect that any higher could
lead
to a potential scalding accident before a person was able to get their body
out of
contact with the hot water in time.

Andy.

Aidan

Store at 60 degC. The water from any hot tap should be at 50 degC plus
within 60 secs.

50C was the absolute maximum I could hold my hand

Your hands are acclimatized to hot water and are less sensitive than
other body parts, hence you test the baby's bath with your elbow. 50
degC will burn, eventually.

If there's any very young, disabled or very old people, all outlets
should be at 43 degC max. The usual practice is to have a thermostatic
mixing valve (TMV) at each outlet, or group of outlets, so the
distribution is kept at 40 - 60 degC because of legionella.

The above is the usual commercial practice, specified in HSE L8 regs,
but Prezza's in the process of having TMVs required for new build
housing. Coming your way soon.

Aidan

Sorry, that should be;
.....so the distribution is kept at 50 - 60 degC because of legionella.

John Stumbles

Aidan wrote:

Store at 60 degC. The water from any hot tap should be at 50 degC plus
within 60 secs.

50C was the absolute maximum I could hold my hand

Your hands are acclimatized to hot water and are less sensitive than
other body parts, hence you test the baby's bath with your elbow. 50
degC will burn, eventually.

If there's any very young, disabled or very old people, all outlets
should be at 43 degC max. The usual practice is to have a thermostatic
mixing valve (TMV) at each outlet, or group of outlets, so the
distribution is kept at 40 - 60 degC because of legionella.

The above is the usual commercial practice, specified in HSE L8 regs,
but Prezza's in the process of having TMVs required for new build
housing. Coming your way soon.

Can't say I'm outraged by that one. The price of TMVs has come down quite
reasonably and, coupled with a generally increasing concern for people[1]
who for whatever reason are more vulnerable than us TABs[2] it seems a
reasonable move.

[1] at least, those resident at the correct latitude and longitudes

[2] Temporarily Able-Bodied
Christian McArdle

Can't say I'm outraged by that one. The price of TMVs has come down quite
reasonably and, coupled with a generally increasing concern for people[1]
who for whatever reason are more vulnerable than us TABs[2] it seems a
reasonable move.

The problem is that for us grown ups it effectively bans hot baths. You
can't keep topping up with 60C. Once it goes below 39C, you have to throw it
all out and start again.

Christian.

Nick Atty

On Wed, 25 May 2005 18:13:02 GMT, Chris Hodges
wrote:

But the purpose of hot water isn't just to wash people. It should be
possible to get properly hot water out for getting things (e.g. dishes,
clothes and even paintbrushes) clean.

When we had our first child we got a nice leaflet on "safety" from some
section of officialdom.

Scattered within the pages were the statements that:
You should have your cylinder stat set so that your hot tap water is at
no more than 45 degrees
You should always wash your dishes at at least 60 degrees.
--
On-line canal route planner: http://www.canalplan.org.uk

(Waterways World site of the month, April 2001)
lou

"Christian McArdle" wrote:

Can't say I'm outraged by that one. The price of TMVs has come down quite
reasonably and, coupled with a generally increasing concern for people[1]
who for whatever reason are more vulnerable than us TABs[2] it seems a
reasonable move.

The problem is that for us grown ups it effectively bans hot baths. You
can't keep topping up with 60C. Once it goes below 39C, you have to throw it
all out and start again.

Only the crumbliest flakiest chocolate, eaten in a bath filled from a
big hot water tank, heated by a proper boiler, with proper individual
taps that can fill the thing to overflowing in single digit minutes
will do.

Dr Double Combi/Prescott/etc fcuk off - we like big baths of steaming
water.

Doctor Evil

"lou" wrote in message
"Christian McArdle" wrote:

[...]

I think we have a makers troll here. Japanese made instantaneous water
heaters beat any cylinder any day. And they never run out of water.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Christian McArdle

I think we have a makers troll here. Japanese made instantaneous water
heaters beat any cylinder any day. And they never run out of water.

Nor does a cylinder if you only draw water at the same piddle as an
instantaneous heater.

Christian.

Chris Hodges

John Stumbles wrote:
The above is the usual commercial practice, specified in HSE L8 regs,
but Prezza's in the process of having TMVs required for new build
housing. Coming your way soon.

Can't say I'm outraged by that one. The price of TMVs has come down quite
reasonably and, coupled with a generally increasing concern for people[1]
who for whatever reason are more vulnerable than us TABs[2] it seems a
reasonable move.

[1] at least, those resident at the correct latitude and longitudes

[2] Temporarily Able-Bodied

But the purpose of hot water isn't just to wash people. It should be
possible to get properly hot water out for getting things (e.g. dishes,
clothes and even paintbrushes) clean.

--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with blueyonder dot co dot uk
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk

Nick Atty wrote:

Scattered within the pages were the statements that:
You should have your cylinder stat set so that your hot tap water is at
no more than 45 degrees
You should always wash your dishes at at least 60 degrees.

That's the beauty of dishwashers and washing machines.

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
Aidan

And they never run out of water.

Oh Yes they do. Like at 6:30 a.m. this morning when Thames Water had
managed to cut off the supply to thousands of houses. I had 50 gallons
of potable water in the storage tank and lots of hot water too, thanks
very much.

So stick that up your combi. Both of them.

George

"Aidan" wrote:

And they never run out of water.

Oh Yes they do. Like at 6:30 a.m. this morning when Thames Water had
managed to cut off the supply to thousands of houses. I had 50 gallons
of potable water in the storage tank and lots of hot water too, thanks
very much.

So stick that up your combi. Both of them.

ahh but you forgot that to cater for just such set of circumstances Dr
Combi is unique in having a back up water supply specially provided by
an out of area supplier. Dual (japanese) combi boilers, the backup
electricity supply and dual water supplies brought some 150 miles
across the desolate wastelands of surburbia mean that both him and his
rubber duck can entertain each other in 2.7 inches of lukewarm water.

Another bit of scandal unearthed by the Daily Blowtorch is that Mrs
Combi apparently ran off with a plumber some years ago when she heard
that deep steamy baths and lots of hot water on tap were available
from systems with hot water tanks. Dr Combi it must be assumed has
been bitter about the better systems to this day.

Doctor Evil

"George" wrote in message
"Aidan" wrote:

And they never run out of water.

Oh Yes they do. Like at 6:30 a.m.
this morning when Thames Water had
managed to cut off the supply to thousands
of houses. I had 50 gallons of potable water
in the storage tank and lots of hot water too, thanks
very much.

How often does sthat happen? Every week? Amazing! In 25 years I have
NEVER had a water outage. Witha large familt with a water oyutage, you soon
will run out of water.

So stick that up your combi. Both of them.

Who is this manufacturers troll. Comes from nowhere giving abuse. Whjat
cylidn er maker do you work for? And what does he say?...

ahh but you forgot that to cater for just
such set of circumstances Dr
Combi is unique in having a back up
water supply specially provided by
an out of area supplier.

You can have an accumulator if you are paranoid about water outages. Why not
have a full battery and inverter setup in case of popwer outages? One LPG
and NG gas boiler in case of a gas outage as well. Where do you stop? How
about having nuclear bunker too? Yes, let's have one of those too with its
own air supply. Let's all go all the way.

cut a trolling/spamming lunatic

Profits must be down.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download

Andy Hall

On Thu, 26 May 2005 21:25:25 +0100, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

But the purpose of hot water isn't just to wash people. It should be
possible to get properly hot water out for getting things (e.g. dishes,
clothes and even paintbrushes) clean.

When we had our first child we got a nice leaflet on "safety" from some
section of officialdom.

Scattered within the pages were the statements that:
You should have your cylinder stat set so that your hot tap water is at
no more than 45 degrees
You should always wash your dishes at at least 60 degrees.

60? Nonsense.

70 is better...

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

http://www.diybanter.com

Aidan

The point is that you had said;

And they never run out of water.

Clearly, they can and do run out of water.

Witha large familt with a water oyutage, you soon

will run out of water.

No, Doctor, wrong again. If you've got a combi, or even two combis such
as recommended by yourself, and the water supply fails, you don't SOON
run out of water. When you notice the lack of water, you have run out
of water, you have no storage. You have a toilet you can't flush, a
shower you can't use and no drinking water. You're stuffed.

I have a 50 gallon potable water storage tank and a hot water storage
cylinder. I hardly noticed. I recommend this system to you.

How often does sthat happen? Every week?

Er, about 2 weeks ago. The pipes are knackered.

Mike

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
Scattered within the pages were the statements that:
You should have your cylinder stat set so that your hot tap water is at
no more than 45 degrees
You should always wash your dishes at at least 60 degrees.

60? Nonsense.

70 is better...

Agreed. This new Prescott nonsense on thermostatic mixer taps with temp
limits is just beyond.

Doctor Evil

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Thu, 26 May 2005 21:25:25 +0100, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

But the purpose of hot water isn't just to wash people. It should be
possible to get properly hot water out for getting things (e.g.

dishes,
clothes and even paintbrushes) clean.

When we had our first child we got a nice leaflet on "safety" from some
section of officialdom.

Scattered within the pages were the statements that:
You should have your cylinder stat set so that your hot tap water is at
no more than 45 degrees
You should always wash your dishes at at least 60 degrees.

60? Nonsense.

70 is better...

If you want scalded hands then yes.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Doctor Evil

"Aidan" wrote in message
oups.com...

The point is that you had said;

And they never run out of water.

Clearly, they can and do run out of water.

Hot water. And only if when a rare water ourage.

snip rubbish

How often does sthat happen? Every week?

Er, about 2 weeks ago. The pipes are knackered.

I said How often does it happen? Not when. Most people very rarely
experience water outages, and when they happen it is for only a matters of
hours.

Only the UK and Ireland has cold tanks/hot cylinder. The rest of the world
is mains pressure. Amazing how it never affects them.

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk

Doctor Evil wrote:

70 is better...

If you want scalded hands then yes.

Like I said.
Dish washer does a lovely hot wash.

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
The Natural Philosopher

Mike wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

Scattered within the pages were the statements that:
You should have your cylinder stat set so that your hot tap water is at
no more than 45 degrees
You should always wash your dishes at at least 60 degrees.

60? Nonsense.

70 is better...

Agreed. This new Prescott nonsense on thermostatic mixer taps with temp
limits is just beyond.

Yes. Just how many people do die from scalding their hands under a tap
who are not also living in a nursing home?

Aidan

Clearly, they can and do run out of water.

Hot water. And only if when a rare water ourage.

And cold water. All water if you don't have any storage.

Er, about 2 weeks ago. The pipes are knackered.

I said How often does it happen? Not when.

Well I'd make that every 2 weeks at present levels of digging up roads
and replacing knackered pipes. They generally do the shut-downs
overnight.

Most people very rarely experience water outages,

They're also reducing water supply pressures to reduce leaks. This
doesn't affect most systems with loft storage tanks. If you've got a
combi or a mains pressure system, it may be a problem.

Only the UK and Ireland has cold tanks/hot cylinder. The rest of the world
is mains pressure. Amazing how it never affects them.

Amazing how their record of back-siphonage and contamination incidents
has affected them. The loft-tank system was fairly fool-proof and, as
you see form the many approving comments on here, it supplies adequate
flow of both hot and cold water. The only failing is shower pressure,
but you can sort that out by other means.

The rest of the world generally has a system of licenced installers. We
will also, after we've had a serious mains contamination incident. With
enthusiastic eccentrics like yourself on the loose, it can only be a
matter of time.

Doctor Evil

Mike wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

Scattered within the pages were the statements that:
You should have your cylinder stat set so that your hot tap water is

at
no more than 45 degrees
You should always wash your dishes at at least 60 degrees.

60? Nonsense.

70 is better...

Agreed. This new Prescott nonsense on thermostatic mixer taps with temp
limits is just beyond.

Yes. Just how many people do die from scalding their hands under a tap
who are not also living in a nursing home?

What a pair of retards. I know one guy who was in hospital at the age of 4
for 3 months because he jumped into a bath of scalding hot water. His
mother filled with hot first. I always have blenders on my system to ensure
that the water does not scald.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Andy Hall

On Fri, 27 May 2005 02:38:43 +0100, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 26 May 2005 21:25:25 +0100, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

But the purpose of hot water isn't just to wash people. It should be
possible to get properly hot water out for getting things (e.g.

dishes,
clothes and even paintbrushes) clean.

When we had our first child we got a nice leaflet on "safety" from some
section of officialdom.

Scattered within the pages were the statements that:
You should have your cylinder stat set so that your hot tap water is at
no more than 45 degrees
You should always wash your dishes at at least 60 degrees.

60? Nonsense.

70 is better...

If you want scalded hands then yes.

In a dishwasher, yer plonker.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

http://www.diybanter.com

Hamie

Christian McArdle wrote:
I think we have a makers troll here. Japanese made instantaneous water
heaters beat any cylinder any day. And they never run out of water.

Nor does a cylinder if you only draw water at the same piddle as an
instantaneous heater.

Australian/NZ (And probably Jap ones as well) water heaters heat it
faster than your mains run (As fast as Wellington mains) so it's a
pretty bad comparison really if you were attempting to disparage them.

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamie
Christian McArdle wrote:
I think we have a makers troll here. Japanese made instantaneous water
heaters beat any cylinder any day. And they never run out of water.

Nor does a cylinder if you only draw water at the same piddle as an
instantaneous heater.

Australian/NZ (And probably Jap ones as well) water heaters heat it
faster than your mains run (As fast as Wellington mains) so it's a
pretty bad comparison really if you were attempting to disparage them.

The problem here is total ignorance of anything heating and water, compounded by DIY know-it-allness. A fatal combination.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Doctor Evil wrote:
How often does sthat happen? Every week? Amazing! In 25 years I have
NEVER had a water outage. Witha large familt with a water oyutage, you
soon will run out of water.

Had over 6 in one year here in London. Could have been more.

--
*Money isn't everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Jim

Doctor Evil wrote:

The problem here is total ignorance of anything heating and water,
compounded by DIY know-it-allness. A fatal combination.

ooh what an unpleasant surprise he just popped out from behind my kill
filter.

Back to where you belong Dr Combi

zap

ahh that's better

Doctor Evil

"Jim" wrote in message
Doctor Evil wrote:

The problem here is total ignorance of anything heating and water,
compounded by DIY know-it-allness. A fatal combination.

ooh what an unpleasant surprise he just popped out from behind my kill
filter.

This man is indicative of what I stated above. He should killfile me.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Doctor Evil

"Huge" wrote in message
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article ,
Doctor Evil wrote:
How often does sthat happen? Every week? Amazing! In 25 years I

have
NEVER had a water outage. With a large family with a water outage, you
soon will run out of water.

Had over 6 in one year here in ...

There's your problem, right here;

... London

I think he should move a place that has even more water outages.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Huge wrote:
How often does sthat happen? Every week? Amazing! In 25 years I
have NEVER had a water outage. Witha large familt with a water
oyutage, you soon will run out of water.

Had over 6 in one year here in ...

There's your problem, right here;

... London

;-)

However, not had one since. Think they may have been replacing very old
pipework.

--
*Virtual reality is its own reward *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Doctor Evil wrote:
"Huge" wrote in message
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article ,
Doctor Evil wrote:
How often does sthat happen? Every week? Amazing! In 25 years I

have
NEVER had a water outage. With a large family with a water outage, you
soon will run out of water.

Had over 6 in one year here in ...

There's your problem, right here;

... London

I think he should move a place that has even more water outages.

Is there water on the planet Zog?

--
*It is easier to get older than it is to get wiser.

Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
Why do gas water heaters fail? I-zheet M'drurz Home Repair 40 January 12th 04 09:59 PM
Grounding Rod Info Mark Wilson Home Repair 37 July 19th 03 02:34 PM