Default How do I get pointing a yellow colour like the bricks

I'm building a retaining wall in my garden using some old yellow stock
bricks. I'd like to have the pointing a yellowish colour but I'm not
sure how to get this.

I have put some air vents in at the back of my house and the pointing
has turned a very nice golden yellow colour. However I've also put in
some air bricks and the pointing has stayed grey.

On both occasions I think I've used Wickes building sand(which looks
quite yellow) and their Portland cement. I'm not sure why the colour
has turned out different.
I may have used plasticiser when fitting the air vent, could this have
made the difference?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Rusty

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
.. .
In article .com,
writes:
I'm building a retaining wall in my garden using some old yellow stock
bricks. I'd like to have the pointing a yellowish colour but I'm not
sure how to get this.

I have put some air vents in at the back of my house and the pointing
has turned a very nice golden yellow colour. However I've also put in
some air bricks and the pointing has stayed grey.

On both occasions I think I've used Wickes building sand(which looks
quite yellow) and their Portland cement. I'm not sure why the colour
has turned out different.

Building sand and white cement comes out a nice yellow, although
it depends how strong a pigment the sand forms, and this varies
(seems to be a feature which depends on the amount of find sand
dust in the sand).

You can get mortar dies from builder's merchants. I've only used
black, and I suspect colours like yellow would only work with
white cement.

Some Wickes do black and beige cement dye. But in my limited experience you
have to try with your own cement brand and it dries to a different colour
altogether as the cement cures so initial appearance is not a good guide.
Then outdoors it weathers to a paler colour over the course of a year or so.

On both occasions I think I've used Wickes building sand(which looks
quite yellow) and their Portland cement. I'm not sure why the colour
has turned out different.

In some sensitive parts of the country the councill planning dept will
specify what type of sand to use.

rusty

Thanks for your suggestions. Any idea if any of the big diy sheds
(wickes,b&q, homebase, travis perkins etc) sell white cement or where I
might find it?

Thanks for your suggestions. Any idea if any of the big diy sheds
(wickes,b&q, homebase, travis perkins etc) sell white cement or where I
might find it?

Christian McArdle

Thanks for your suggestions. Any idea if any of the big diy sheds
(wickes,b&q, homebase, travis perkins etc) sell white cement or where I
might find it?

My local B&Q warehouse certainly stocks it.

Christian.

Stuart Noble wrote:
wrote in message

Whatever you do, I'd avoid cement dyes, as the colour often washes out
after a while, usually very unevenely.

Cement colours are not true dyes. They are pigments, which behave no
differently from sand, or any other solid material, once the mortar has
set.

Maybe there are different types then, as colour loss is a real world
problem, common with coloured cement products.

NT

I got a bag in Travis Perkins for =A311.70 which is a bit steep but one
bag should do. I've tried a little with the wickes sand and it looks
good.Thanks for all your help.