brenton

Default Complete idiot (me) needs help with hammer drill

I just bought a corded hammer drill from Homebase, brand PBX (their
own) and,... I cannot work out how to insert the drill bit. (Pause
while you all have complete hysterics) It's a keyless chuck where you
pull the rear sleeve of chuck back and then turn front sleeve to
tighten/loosen the chuck.

The rear sleeve seems to move back, although only slightly and the
front sleeve only turns a half - 3/4 turn which barely tightens the
chuck at all.

I know this is absolutely stupid but I am completely baffled and
embarassed to have to ask for help.

Please someone put me out of my misery!

Set Square

brenton wrote:

I just bought a corded hammer drill from Homebase, brand PBX (their
own) and,... I cannot work out how to insert the drill bit. (Pause
while you all have complete hysterics) It's a keyless chuck where you
pull the rear sleeve of chuck back and then turn front sleeve to
tighten/loosen the chuck.

The rear sleeve seems to move back, although only slightly and the
front sleeve only turns a half - 3/4 turn which barely tightens the
chuck at all.

I know this is absolutely stupid but I am completely baffled and
embarassed to have to ask for help.

Please someone put me out of my misery!

Are you sure it's a hammer drill and not an SDS drill. SDS drills need
special bits with fluted ends - which can be inserted or removed after
sliding back the collar on the equivalent of the chuck. Is this what you've
got?
--
Cheers,
Set Square

brenton

Yes it is a hammer drill. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious but
can't work out what.

Alex \(YMG\)

"brenton" wrote in message
oups.com...
Yes it is a hammer drill. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious but
can't work out what.

SDS is also sold as 'rotary hammer' though. When you look in the end of the
chuck, are the three jaws present?

Alex

mrcheerful

"Alex (YMG)" wrote in message
"brenton" wrote in message
oups.com...
Yes it is a hammer drill. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious but
can't work out what.

SDS is also sold as 'rotary hammer' though. When you look in the end of
the chuck, are the three jaws present?

Alex

or are there two roundy things?

Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
brenton wrote:
I just bought a corded hammer drill from Homebase, brand PBX (their
own) and,... I cannot work out how to insert the drill bit. (Pause
while you all have complete hysterics) It's a keyless chuck where you
pull the rear sleeve of chuck back and then turn front sleeve to
tighten/loosen the chuck.

The rear sleeve seems to move back, although only slightly and the
front sleeve only turns a half - 3/4 turn which barely tightens the
chuck at all.

I know this is absolutely stupid but I am completely baffled and
embarassed to have to ask for help.

Please someone put me out of my misery!

Sounds like it's an SDS drill. You need SDS bits which simply push in. To
remove them you pull the sleeve back.

An SDS chuck is easily identified by not having the usual three jaws
sticking out.

--
*Never put off until tomorrow what you can avoid altogether *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
chris French

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article .com,
brenton wrote:
I just bought a corded hammer drill from Homebase, brand PBX (their
own) and,... I cannot work out how to insert the drill bit. (Pause
while you all have complete hysterics) It's a keyless chuck where you
pull the rear sleeve of chuck back and then turn front sleeve to
tighten/loosen the chuck.

The rear sleeve seems to move back, although only slightly and the
front sleeve only turns a half - 3/4 turn which barely tightens the
chuck at all.

I know this is absolutely stupid but I am completely baffled and
embarassed to have to ask for help.

Please someone put me out of my misery!

Sounds like it's an SDS drill.

Indeed, maybe the op could find the drill on the homebase website?

--
Chris French

brenton

There are three jaws present in the chuck. They don't stick out of the
chuck like on most drills but it does look like the picture of the
drill.

I have looked for drill on website and elsewhere but no such luck.

It does also come with a small set of drill bits which are ordinary
bits.

Brenton

chris French

In message .com,
brenton writes
There are three jaws present in the chuck. They don't stick out of the
chuck like on most drills but it does look like the picture of the
drill.

I have looked for drill on website and elsewhere but no such luck.

It does also come with a small set of drill bits which are ordinary
bits.

Ahh, ok it certainly does sound like a standard hammer drill. Can't say
I've ever seen chuck mechanism like you describe though.

Have you considered the possibility that it maybe faulty in some way?
I'd maybe take it back and get another one see if that is working
better.

On another tack, how much use do you imagine you will give this drill as
an actual hammer drill. If it's going to be a significant amount then
I'd suggest buying an SDS drill, which are *soooooo* much better at
drilling masonry. But probably not worth it if you are just putting up
the odd curtain track etc.
--
Chris French

Lobster

brenton wrote:
There are three jaws present in the chuck. They don't stick out of the
chuck like on most drills but it does look like the picture of the
drill.

I have looked for drill on website and elsewhere but no such luck.

It does also come with a small set of drill bits which are ordinary
bits.

So it's definitely not SDS then.

Doesn't it come with any instructions?

Is it faulty? Try taking it back to Homebase?

David

Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
brenton wrote:
There are three jaws present in the chuck. They don't stick out of the
chuck like on most drills but it does look like the picture of the
drill.

Every keyless chuck I've got has the jaws protruding for smaller size
drills. Only for the largest are they behind the front of the chuck.

Perhaps yours has simply jammed? Try running some thin oil into it and
working it back and forth?

The sleeve at the rear which pulls back has confused me - that's normally
the way you remove an SDS type drill.

I have looked for drill on website and elsewhere but no such luck.

It does also come with a small set of drill bits which are ordinary
bits.

--
*To be intoxicated is to feel sophisticated, but not be able to say it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
David Lang

Hi All
I just bought a corded hammer drill from Homebase, brand PBX (their
own) and,... I cannot work out how to insert the drill bit. (Pause
while you all have complete hysterics) It's a keyless chuck where you
pull the rear sleeve of chuck back and then turn front sleeve to
tighten/loosen the chuck.

By Jove I think I've cracked it lads! Is it one of theose 'Snappy' type
chuck which takes a hex bit? They have a pull back collar. I have a B&D
mains drill driver which has one as standard.

Dave

brenton

I have followed the instructions as far as I can tell.

I will take it back on Monday but was hoping to use it this weekend!

brenton

brenton

Tried that. Good idea. Just shame it doesn't work.

brenton

brenton

Thank you all for your advice. I took it back to Homebase this morning.
They insisted on checking it themselves, tried plugging it in and
loosening chuck as suggested by Rob and it still didn't work. Got their
mate to come over and look at it as well. Ten minutes later they
conceded that it was faulty and decided to replace it. They then got
shirty when I insisted on unwrapping the replacement and checking that
it works which it does so I now have no more excuses left.

brenton