jamie

Default false ceiling

I am putting up a false ceiling in my bathroom- I was wondering what
size of timber to use for the stud work and if the plasterboard should
be hung along the studs or across them? It is a fairly small room 2.4m
by 1.7m.
many thanks!

Lobster

jamie wrote:
I am putting up a false ceiling in my bathroom- I was wondering what
size of timber to use for the stud work and if the plasterboard should
be hung along the studs or across them? It is a fairly small room 2.4m
by 1.7m.

Use 3" x 2". Not sure what you mean by hanging the pb along or across?
But you should certainly minimise the amount of unsupported butting
edges of boards, if that's what you're getting at. Any joins which are
parallel to the studs should certainly be *on* the studs. Best to
consider the spacing of the studs to enable you to do this with minimal
wastage and chopping up of boards.

David
[news]

jamie wrote:
I am putting up a false ceiling in my bathroom- I was wondering what
size of timber to use for the stud work and if the plasterboard should
be hung along the studs or across them? It is a fairly small room 2.4m
by 1.7m.
many thanks!

I've recently done my 3.6m x 1.96m kitchen ceiling like this:

47mm x 47mm battening around the room at about 2.5m height, drilled
and screwed to the wall every 300 mm with Very Big Screws Indeed.

75mm x 50mm x 1.96m joists, 400mm centres, notched out to sit on the battens

3 sheets of vapourboard held up with about 500 plasterboard screws (sore fingers,
plenty of steel spliters in them) and the ceiling is solid as a rock the downlighters
look great and when it's skimmed and painted it'll look even better.

HtH

RT

[news]

jamie wrote:
I am putting up a false ceiling in my bathroom- I was wondering what
size of timber to use for the stud work and if the plasterboard should
be hung along the studs or across them? It is a fairly small room 2.4m
by 1.7m.
many thanks!

I've recently done my 3.6m x 1.96m kitchen ceiling like this:

47mm x 47mm battening around the room at about 2.5m height, drilled
and screwed to the wall every 300 mm with Very Big Screws Indeed.

75mm x 50mm x 1.96m joists, 400mm centres, notched out to sit on the battens

3 sheets of vapourboard held up with about 500 plasterboard screws (sore fingers,
plenty of steel splinters in them) and the ceiling is solid as a rock the downlighters
look great and when it's skimmed and painted it'll look even better.

HtH

RT

David Lang

Hi

drilled
and screwed to the wall every 300 mm with Very Big Screws Indeed.

"Very Big Screws Indeed". Like it! VBSI. Great technical term!

Dave