David

Default Remote gsm alarm systems

I would like to install an alarm in a new workshop and have come across
a system using gsm whereby a signal is sent to a mobile phone as an
alert. Any comments or help please ?

[news]

David wrote:
I would like to install an alarm in a new workshop and have come across
a system using gsm whereby a signal is sent to a mobile phone as an
alert. Any comments or help please ?

there are webcams and software that capture an image of any motion
in a given area, emil the picture to your phone or FTP the images to a
remote site. you could quite easily set up HTTP streaming to the web
and check in using a mobile phone or suitably equiped PDA

see http://www.grisby.org/burglar.html

and http://www.nimisis.com/projects/mugshot.php

HtH

RT

David

Thank you Hywel for your comment. Apparently you can hear from
microphones what is happening e.g. If you hear a lot of wrenching and
breaking of windows, then you know to call the police etc.

Andy Dee

David wrote:

I would like to install an alarm in a new workshop and have come across
a system using gsm whereby a signal is sent to a mobile phone as an
alert. Any comments or help please ?

This is a good system but the GSM module is about £200!

http://www.alertelectrical.com/produ...ID=28&subID=94

Phil

If you can received email/email alerts on your mobile phone, then all
you need is a webcam/pc, motion detection sw and a reliable internet
connection....
mmm, might give that a try!

BigWallop

"David" wrote in message
oups.com...
I would like to install an alarm in a new workshop and have come across
a system using gsm whereby a signal is sent to a mobile phone as an
alert. Any comments or help please ?

A speech-dialler would do the same job for you. You enter up to three
telephone numbers, your own and two close friends or relatives, and each has
to verify the call by pressing a preset number. The telephone numbers can
be to mobile or landline telephones, it doesn't matter, but the
speech-dialler must be plugged in to a landline socket, or hardwired, for it
to work of course.

A web search for Speech Dialler should bring many hits for you to looks
through.

David

The telephone numbers can
be to mobile or landline telephones, it doesn't matter, but the
speech-dialler must be plugged in to a landline socket, or
hardwired, for it
to work of course.

Yes that is the downside of that, if they cut the cable.

ThePunisher

David wrote:
I would like to install an alarm in a new workshop and have come
across a system using gsm whereby a signal is sent to a mobile phone
as an alert. Any comments or help please ?

Ebay.co.uk under GSM alarm.

--
ThePunisher
Latitude: 54.67N

BigWallop

"David" wrote in message
oups.com...
The telephone numbers can
be to mobile or landline telephones, it doesn't matter, but the
speech-dialler must be plugged in to a landline socket, or
hardwired, for it
to work of course.

Yes that is the downside of that, if they cut the cable.

That's where the monitored line comes in to play. An alarm receiving centre
would ping the line every few minutes to see if it still responded properly.
But with DIY alarms this can sometimes be expensive to arrange through your
telephone supplier.

Andrew Gabriel

In article .com,
"David" writes:
The telephone numbers can
be to mobile or landline telephones, it doesn't matter, but the
speech-dialler must be plugged in to a landline socket, or
hardwired, for it
to work of course.

Yes that is the downside of that, if they cut the cable.

There are GSM phones which present a landline interface,
e.g. the Nokia 32. Intended to be connected to a PABX to
route moble calls direct to GSM network, but would probably
work with a speach dialler too.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"BigWallop" writes:

A speech-dialler would do the same job for you. You enter up to three
telephone numbers, your own and two close friends or relatives, and each has
to verify the call by pressing a preset number. The telephone numbers can
be to mobile or landline telephones, it doesn't matter, but the
speech-dialler must be plugged in to a landline socket, or hardwired, for it
to work of course.

If you know you are going to want a speach dialler in the first place,
you would be well advised to consider an alarm with one built in, where
it will be much better integrated into the alarm functioning than one
which is a generic add-on product attached to an alarm which wasn't
specifically designed to control or be controlled by a speach dialler.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
David wrote:
I would like to install an alarm in a new workshop and have come across
a system using gsm whereby a signal is sent to a mobile phone as an
alert. Any comments or help please ?

Have you got phone wiring to the workshop? If so a normal dialer at about
40 quid would do this.

--
*Just remember...if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
If you know you are going to want a speach dialler in the first place,
you would be well advised to consider an alarm with one built in, where
it will be much better integrated into the alarm functioning than one
which is a generic add-on product attached to an alarm which wasn't
specifically designed to control or be controlled by a speach dialler.

Don't most panels these days have an aux relay for just this sort of
purpose?

And BTW it's 'speech' ;-)

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
If you know you are going to want a speach dialler in the first place,
you would be well advised to consider an alarm with one built in, where
it will be much better integrated into the alarm functioning than one
which is a generic add-on product attached to an alarm which wasn't
specifically designed to control or be controlled by a speach dialler.

Don't most panels these days have an aux relay for just this sort of
purpose?

Yes, but there's a world of difference between what you can do with
one (or even 4 on some models) relay contacts to a speech dialler, and
properly integrated speech access to the alarm, which enables me to do
everything remotely that can be done from the panel.

And BTW it's 'speech' ;-)

Yes, I saw that just after I posted it... sigh.

--
Andrew Gabriel
David

Dave please see my previous message - 'cutting of the cable' which is
partly why i like the gsm option. Has anybody out there had experience
of these systems, that is my question ??

Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
David wrote:
Dave please see my previous message - 'cutting of the cable' which is
partly why i like the gsm option. Has anybody out there had experience
of these systems, that is my question ??

Well, most would run the electricity to the workshop or whatever
underground, so perhaps do the same with the phone cable?

And after long experience with such things, if security/reliability is an
issue, you can't beat sensible hard wiring.

--
*No husband has ever been shot while doing the dishes *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
BigWallop

"David" wrote in message
oups.com...
Dave please see my previous message - 'cutting of the cable' which is
partly why i like the gsm option. Has anybody out there had experience
of these systems, that is my question ??

To be NACOSS acceptable today, all alarm systems have to have two paths of
communication. These are separated in to hardwired telephony and GSM / Pager
technology. The case used to be the use of RedCare telephone lines, which are
constantly monitored from the local exchange, and any disruption on the line was
reported as fault and alarm conditions sent to the receiving centre for
appropriate actions.

With the increased use of more modern telecommunications, the norm' now is to
have the two paths to allow the condition of the alarm system to be ascertained,
even with a fault or tampering occurring to one of the comm.'s techniques. With
the actual condition of the alarm being found, it reduces the occurrence of
police being called if the alarm system has not been compromised, and the only
fault was with the telecoms circuit.

There are retro-fit GSM units which can be installed in to the alarm system, and
this gives the ability to use the mobile telephony system directly from the
control panel of the alarm. They are still quite expensive to buy and maintain
contracts for, but if this is of use to you, then you can search for "GSM Remote
Alarm" on the web for a few useful hits on the subject.

Alarm systems (Menvier) Bert UK diy 1 May 6th 05 08:29 PM
Self install/monitor alarm systems Matt Home Ownership 2 December 17th 04 07:39 PM
Radio alarm with remote control mike ring UK diy 15 September 15th 04 10:35 PM
Gardtec Alarm Systems Trevor Smith UK diy 4 August 30th 04 02:04 PM
DSL service & alarm system trebor4258 Home Repair 6 November 19th 03 11:16 PM