Bert

Default Alarm systems (Menvier)

Anyone familiar with the communications technology used between Menvier
Remote LCD Keypads and their alarm panels? I am interetsed in using an
off-the-shelf Keypad for a Homebrew Alarm system and these look like the
sort of thing I need. I assume they use some form of serial comms rather
than a whole bunch of wires between the units. I'd like to have an idea of
the communictaions I need to interface to before I go off and aquire one.

Are the interfaces perhaps standard across Alarm systems or are they unique
to each manufacturer? Perhaps they use standard protocols lie RS232 or I2C?

Any clues much Appreciate.

Bert

BigWallop

"Bert" wrote in message
Anyone familiar with the communications technology used between Menvier
Remote LCD Keypads and their alarm panels? I am interetsed in using an
off-the-shelf Keypad for a Homebrew Alarm system and these look like the
sort of thing I need. I assume they use some form of serial comms rather
than a whole bunch of wires between the units. I'd like to have an idea

of
the communictaions I need to interface to before I go off and aquire one.

Are the interfaces perhaps standard across Alarm systems or are they

unique
to each manufacturer? Perhaps they use standard protocols lie RS232 or

I2C?

Any clues much Appreciate.

Bert

Most are using RS232, but, saying that, manufacturers are embedding code
into the comms to ID specific equipment. I suppose it keeps compatibility
between their own gear, so other systems become useless if installed by the
unsuspecting DIYer.

It might be a good idea to contact the makers tech' people, just to see if
they'll help in getting you started on your own system using their
equipment. Worth a try. I'd have thought. You may find something they
already have on the shelf will be useful to you.