Mark Watson

Default Advice on Steels

Howdy

I'm mulling over doing some work at the back of the house. It's 100yr
old, and a wall has already been taken down between what was the
'breakfast room' and the kitchen as is often the case with this kind
of house.

http://www.bestsf.net/images/100_1373.JPG for a piccie. The idea is
that the wall with the 2x doors is knocked down and a steel put in
place. The wall between what is now the toilet and the utility room
will come down (it's not brick, so obviously isn't supporting).

The sink will move into the karzi, so that we will have a clear bit of
space leading to what is currently a back window. This back window
will be replaced by a big set of doors that will a) lead out into the
conservatory(more of a lean to) and b) get in a lot of light and let
us see the garden from the kitchen.

The back window is pictures at
http://www.bestsf.net/images/100_1374.jpg

My questions are

- any rough estimates on the size of the steel needed to replace the
wall, and the likely cost of putting it in? The wall rises up through
the first floor (not unsurprisingly) to the loft.
- will I need a steel to go over the doors which will replace the back
window, and a guide to the cost?

Thanks in anticipation

mark Watson

Peter Crosland

The idea is
that the wall with the 2x doors is knocked down and a steel put in
place. The wall between what is now the toilet and the utility room
will come down (it's not brick, so obviously isn't supporting).

The sink will move into the karzi, so that we will have a clear bit of
space leading to what is currently a back window. This back window
will be replaced by a big set of doors that will a) lead out into the
conservatory(more of a lean to) and b) get in a lot of light and let
us see the garden from the kitchen.

Before you do that you need to check that what you are proposing will be
acceptable in principle to building control. Thereason I say this is that
the rules on heat loss are much more critical now and you will need to
comply with them.

Peter Crosland

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mark Watson wrote:
My questions are

- any rough estimates on the size of the steel needed to replace the
wall, and the likely cost of putting it in? The wall rises up through
the first floor (not unsurprisingly) to the loft.
- will I need a steel to go over the doors which will replace the back
window, and a guide to the cost?

Get a structural engineer in to calculate the loads. Without his figures
you'll have problems with the BCO which *will* cost more. IMHO.

--
*Women like silent men; they think they're listening.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.