PeteZahut

Default Opinions please

Is it false economy buying cheap lightbulbs from say Asda's than paying for
a decent brand. We've got one of those ceiling fans with lights and the
bulbs do fail quite a lot, i'm presuming its to do with vibration because
normally when a light bulb blows in this house it knocks the mcb for the
lighting circuit off yet with these they just stop working.
I was considering getting some of those low wattage???? ones, do they have a
filament in them? If they would be better can you also get them with screw
type fittings and not bayonet?
Pete

fred

In article ,
PeteZahut writes
Is it false economy buying cheap lightbulbs from say Asda's than paying for
a decent brand. We've got one of those ceiling fans with lights and the
bulbs do fail quite a lot, i'm presuming its to do with vibration because
normally when a light bulb blows in this house it knocks the mcb for the
lighting circuit off yet with these they just stop working.
I was considering getting some of those low wattage???? ones, do they have a
filament in them? If they would be better can you also get them with screw
type fittings and not bayonet?
Pete

I think you're looking for a 'rough service' lamp ooer missus, these are
less susceptible to vibration and are available in the popular lamp
sizes/fittings, they're filament lamps.

Btw: You'll probably get more replies if you put something more specific in
the subject, like light bulbs. Few have time to wade through every vague
subject line and many will pass them by.
--
fred
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"PeteZahut" writes:
Is it false economy buying cheap lightbulbs from say Asda's than paying for
a decent brand. We've got one of those ceiling fans with lights and the
bulbs do fail quite a lot, i'm presuming its to do with vibration because
normally when a light bulb blows in this house it knocks the mcb for the
lighting circuit off yet with these they just stop working.
I was considering getting some of those low wattage???? ones, do they have a
filament in them? If they would be better can you also get them with screw
type fittings and not bayonet?

Energy saving ones are not vulnerable to vibration, and they are
available with ES and SES screw fittings. They are about 4 times
more efficient, so if you've been using 40W lamps, look for something
around 10W Energy saving lamps instead (the claimed equivalence on
the packaging is over optimistic IME).

If you can't get energy saving ones which fit, you might try cooker
hood lamps, which are supposedly rough service types to cope with
the fan vibration (although I've not noticed any difference in
practice).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Lobster

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

If you can't get energy saving ones which fit, you might try cooker
hood lamps, which are supposedly rough service types to cope with the
fan vibration (although I've not noticed any difference in practice).

I once bought a rough service bulb from Screwfix to use in my site lamp;
it cost approx 5 times more than a standard bulb, and its lifespan was
approx 5 times shorter. Screwfix don't seem to sell them any more. Go
figure.

David
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Lobster wrote:
If you can't get energy saving ones which fit, you might try cooker
hood lamps, which are supposedly rough service types to cope with the
fan vibration (although I've not noticed any difference in practice).

I once bought a rough service bulb from Screwfix to use in my site lamp;
it cost approx 5 times more than a standard bulb, and its lifespan was
approx 5 times shorter. Screwfix don't seem to sell them any more. Go
figure.

If bulb cost really is an issue, use a suitable car one and a transformer.
The standard 21 watt stop light types are fine for an inspection light,
cheap, and have a reasonable life.

--
*Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

dale hammond

ALWAYS buy a branded make i.e osram sylvania or phillips
the ones you buy from asda and most other supermarkets are inferior chinese
quality
when i worked for a electrical wholesaler we used to supply B&Q head office
with lamps because they know there own make is crap
"Lobster" wrote in message
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

If you can't get energy saving ones which fit, you might try cooker hood
lamps, which are supposedly rough service types to cope with the
fan vibration (although I've not noticed any difference in practice).

I once bought a rough service bulb from Screwfix to use in my site lamp;
it cost approx 5 times more than a standard bulb, and its lifespan was
approx 5 times shorter. Screwfix don't seem to sell them any more. Go
figure.

David

PeteZahut

Cheers guys, I'll try some branded ones first then maybe go for energy
saving ones if the first lot keep blowing.
Pete

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteZahut
I was considering getting some of those low wattage???? ones, do they have a
filament in them? Pete
the energy saving bulbs i have take a significant time to "warm" up to give the full light, this may be a consideration for your application where instant light is desirable.

steve
Trevor

And don't forget you cant use a dimmer if you have energy saving bulbs.
Trevor smith

PeteZahut:

Is it false economy buying cheap lightbulbs from say Asda's than

paying for
a decent brand.

I've never found any difference myself.

We've got one of those ceiling fans with lights and the
bulbs do fail quite a lot, i'm presuming its to do with vibration

because
normally when a light bulb blows in this house it knocks the mcb for

the
lighting circuit off

Replace type B mcb with type C.

Suggest either:
rough service bulbs,
12v bulbs, which are much more robust, plus transformer of course
CFL if you can get one that fits
or finally, solving the vibration. Straighten the blades, balance them,
use rubber washers at the ceiling fixing, sometimes it clears it up.

NT

Finish Nailer opinions?? Ol' Texan Woodworking 5 January 17th 05 10:42 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Buying a new press brake, opinions? KMC Metalworking 2 August 3rd 04 07:02 PM
opinions on machine suppliers michael Metalworking 0 July 31st 04 07:16 PM
Opinions on computer home design software Jeff Home Repair 0 January 16th 04 03:27 AM