Simon

Default Looking for for 6V 0.5A solar panel

Hello -

I'm looking for a solar panel or panels to supply up to 0.5A at around 6V
(for powering a small IP camera), preferably with built-in regulation, for
permanent installation outdoors. The camera can't see at night, so battery
backup is not required. The ones at RS, Maplin and Farnell seem to be either
tiny ones that can't supply the current, or hefty and expensive 12V units
that would require external step-down circuitry.

It looks like my combination of requirements will cost around £200 - any
ideas on how I might achieve them more cheaply?

Thanks

Simon

Simon wrote:
Hello -

I'm looking for a solar panel or panels to supply up to 0.5A at

around 6V
(for powering a small IP camera), preferably with built-in

regulation, for
permanent installation outdoors. The camera can't see at night, so

battery
backup is not required. The ones at RS, Maplin and Farnell seem to be

either
tiny ones that can't supply the current, or hefty and expensive 12V

units
that would require external step-down circuitry.

It looks like my combination of requirements will cost around =A3200 -

any
ideas on how I might achieve them more cheaply?

Thanks

Simon

1=2E Get low v ones from Rapid.com
2=2E Better: buy a 12v one and a 6v regulator. If you dont mind an extraa
few quid, if you get one with larger rating your cam will keep going
further through the day.
3=2E If you use a switcher reg you'll get significantly more operating
hours out of it.

No way will you need to spend anything remotely approaching =A3200.

4=2E Realise the solar panel will give up long before daylight does. A
small set of nicads would extend operating hours until dark.

NT

Alan

In message , Simon
wrote
Hello -

I'm looking for a solar panel or panels to supply up to 0.5A at around 6V
(for powering a small IP camera), preferably with built-in regulation, for
permanent installation outdoors.

If your proposed system hasn't got a battery acting as a reservoir the
panel will have to supply your volts/amps under the worst case daytime
weather conditions. The panel will have a quoted output with a certain
input light level.

This means that you proposed system may require a panel with a better
specification or running a panel capable of a higher voltage output with
a regulator.

--
Alan

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Set Square wrote:
1. Get low v ones from Rapid.com

Are you sure about Rapid.com?

Rapid Electronics do them at what looks like decent prices.
http://www.rapidelectronics.co.uk/rkmain.asp?PAGEID=80010&CTL_CAT_CODE=&STK_PROD_COD E=M31822&XPAGENO=1

--
*Why isn't there a special name for the back of your knee?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Toolmaker

"Simon" wrote
Hello -

I'm looking for a solar panel or panels to supply up to 0.5A at around 6V
(for powering a small IP camera), preferably with built-in regulation, for
permanent installation outdoors. The camera can't see at night, so battery
backup is not required. The ones at RS, Maplin and Farnell seem to be
either
tiny ones that can't supply the current, or hefty and expensive 12V units
that would require external step-down circuitry.

These are 12v, but you could possibly use to recharge a small lead-acid
battery and step down to 6v

http://www.towsure.com/default.asp?d=56&t=478&p=0&op=

Simon

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Set Square wrote:
1. Get low v ones from Rapid.com

Are you sure about Rapid.com?

Rapid Electronics do them at what looks like decent prices.

http://www.rapidelectronics.co.uk/rk..._CAT_CODE=&STK
_PROD_CODE=M31822&XPAGENO=1

--
*Why isn't there a special name for the back of your knee?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Thanks, the price certainly looks right. My only concern is contact
resistance - each cell only produces 0.45V, and I can see a lot of that
being lost in all those bus-bar-terminal interfaces. Experience with bike
lights has made me wary connections in low-voltage systems. I may buy a
couple and see if they can be soldered.

Set Square

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Set Square wrote:
1. Get low v ones from Rapid.com

Are you sure about Rapid.com?

Rapid Electronics do them at what looks like decent prices.

http://www.rapidelectronics.co.uk/rk..._CAT_CODE=&STK
_PROD_CODE=M31822&XPAGENO=1

Thanks. [Not quite the same as "Rapid.com"!]
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Simon wrote:
Rapid Electronics do them at what looks like decent prices.

http://www.rapidelectronics.co.uk/rkmain.asp?PAGEID=80010&CTL_CAT_CODE=&STK_PROD_COD E=M31822&XPAGENO=1

Thanks, the price certainly looks right. My only concern is contact
resistance - each cell only produces 0.45V, and I can see a lot of that
being lost in all those bus-bar-terminal interfaces. Experience with bike
lights has made me wary connections in low-voltage systems. I may buy a
couple and see if they can be soldered.

They certainly look like the connections are adequate. And being copper
can be easily soldered. Dunno if a heatsink might be required though, if
they're easily damaged by heat.

--
*What am I? Flypaper for freaks!?