Simon wrote:
Hello -

I'm looking for a solar panel or panels to supply up to 0.5A at

around 6V
(for powering a small IP camera), preferably with built-in

regulation, for
permanent installation outdoors. The camera can't see at night, so

battery
backup is not required. The ones at RS, Maplin and Farnell seem to be

either
tiny ones that can't supply the current, or hefty and expensive 12V

units
that would require external step-down circuitry.

It looks like my combination of requirements will cost around =A3200 -

any
ideas on how I might achieve them more cheaply?

Thanks

Simon

1=2E Get low v ones from Rapid.com
2=2E Better: buy a 12v one and a 6v regulator. If you dont mind an extraa
few quid, if you get one with larger rating your cam will keep going
further through the day.
3=2E If you use a switcher reg you'll get significantly more operating
hours out of it.

No way will you need to spend anything remotely approaching =A3200.

4=2E Realise the solar panel will give up long before daylight does. A
small set of nicads would extend operating hours until dark.

NT