Ian Hooksem

Default Paving advice

Hi Group

I have a small dug garden area with a crazy paved path across it, which
shows no sign of cracking or upheaval.

I want to pave over the entire area, including where the path is, with new
paving slabs, 600x 300 size.

It will save a lot of work if I leave the path well alone, and make a hard
core layer on the garden around the path, and to the same level, and then
lay new slabs across the lot.

Is there a problem with laying new paving directly onto the old existing
path?

I anticipate using the method of a dollop of concrete under each corner of
the new slabs. the new area will only be for human use - not to have heavy
motors on it, for example.

any advice appreciated

Ian

Rick

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 17:12:36 GMT, "Ian Hooksem"
wrote:

Hi Group

I have a small dug garden area with a crazy paved path across it, which
shows no sign of cracking or upheaval.

I want to pave over the entire area, including where the path is, with new
paving slabs, 600x 300 size.

It will save a lot of work if I leave the path well alone, and make a hard
core layer on the garden around the path, and to the same level, and then
lay new slabs across the lot.

Is there a problem with laying new paving directly onto the old existing
path?

I anticipate using the method of a dollop of concrete under each corner of
the new slabs. the new area will only be for human use - not to have heavy
motors on it, for example.

any advice appreciated

Ian

In my experiene the problem is the garden, which will lilkley sink
more then the old path next to it.

When we did my mums, we had to lift it a few years later, and relay
where the garden had been as it had sunk.

Rick

Biff

Have a look at this webite - lots of good advice.

http://www.pavingexpert.com/
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

[...]

By all means lay over eh existing, but as he says, watch out for the new
bit.

I simply filled the area with hard-core and left it a year, that,
followed by a rough gravel to level it and laying on a wet bed of sand
and cement seems to be stable as anything..

Rick

Where to get advice about old timber framed buildings? Longish Nick UK diy 29 February 2nd 05 02:09 PM
Risk Management/Shop Safety and Advice (long) charlie b Woodworking 8 June 9th 04 09:51 PM
Newbie to Veneering Needs Advice Jack Schumacher Woodworking 6 June 9th 04 07:39 PM
Block paving Mark Webb UK diy 3 August 17th 03 02:00 PM
Taking down a timber frame - need advice L Bargstedt Woodworking 6 August 12th 03 08:07 AM