Tom John

Default Door Requirements Between Kitchen & Bathroom

Hi

We have a victorian cottage with a down stairs bathroom off the back
of the kitchen. Between the two rooms is a 3 foot wide lobby that
serves no purpose other than to ensure there are 2 doors between the
kitchen and the bathroom.

I believe this was a legal requirement when the bathroom extension was
built, but want to pull the wall down and extend the kitchen into the
loobby area. There are no structural walls to consider.

Can anyone confirm i am able to do this, and therefore only have a
single door between the kitchen and bathroom?

Thanks

Tom
Christian McArdle

Can anyone confirm i am able to do this, and therefore only have a
single door between the kitchen and bathroom?

It is my understanding that this is now acceptable, although I may be wrong.

I seem to recall that they did some tests and concluded that the bacterial
risk was from not washing hands, not from any airborne source that would be
helped by two doors. However, you are now required to have a handwashing
basin near the toilet. The kitchen sink is NOT acceptable.

Christian.

Mathew J. Newton

Christian McArdle wrote:
Can anyone confirm i am able to do this, and therefore only have a
single door between the kitchen and bathroom?

It is my understanding that this is now acceptable, although I may be

wrong.

I seem to recall that they did some tests and concluded that the

bacterial
risk was from not washing hands, not from any airborne source that

would be
helped by two doors. However, you are now required to have a

handwashing
basin near the toilet. The kitchen sink is NOT acceptable.

Christian.

That is correct. Looking at Part G of the Building Regs, paras 1.2 and
1.3 state:

'1.2 A space containing a closet or urinal should be separated by a
door from a space used for the preparation of food (including a kitchen
and any space in which washing up us done).

1.3 Washbasins should be located in the room containing the closet, or
in a room or space giving direct access to the room containing the
closet (provided it is not used for the preparation of food) or in a
room adjacent to the room containing the closet in the case of a
dwelling.'

Mathew

sploop

"Tom John" wrote in message
Hi

We have a victorian cottage with a down stairs bathroom off the back
of the kitchen. Between the two rooms is a 3 foot wide lobby that
serves no purpose other than to ensure there are 2 doors between the
kitchen and the bathroom.

I believe this was a legal requirement when the bathroom extension was
built, but want to pull the wall down and extend the kitchen into the
loobby area. There are no structural walls to consider.

Can anyone confirm i am able to do this, and therefore only have a
single door between the kitchen and bathroom?

Thanks

Tom

What on earth is a "loobby area"???

Bob Eager

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 11:06:20 UTC, "sploop"
wrote:

"Tom John" wrote in message
Hi

We have a victorian cottage with a down stairs bathroom off the back
of the kitchen. Between the two rooms is a 3 foot wide lobby that
serves no purpose other than to ensure there are 2 doors between the
kitchen and the bathroom.

I believe this was a legal requirement when the bathroom extension was
built, but want to pull the wall down and extend the kitchen into the
loobby area. There are no structural walls to consider.

Can anyone confirm i am able to do this, and therefore only have a
single door between the kitchen and bathroom?

What on earth is a "loobby area"???

It's next to a loobby loo....!

http://www.diybanter.com

wrote:

"Tom John" wrote in message
Hi

We have a victorian cottage with a down stairs bathroom off the

back
of the kitchen. Between the two rooms is a 3 foot wide lobby that
serves no purpose other than to ensure there are 2 doors between

the
kitchen and the bathroom.

I believe this was a legal requirement when the bathroom

extension was
built, but want to pull the wall down and extend the kitchen into

the
loobby area. There are no structural walls to consider.

Can anyone confirm i am able to do this, and therefore only have

single door between the kitchen and bathroom?

What on earth is a "loobby area"???

It's next to a loobby loo....!

But only if there's somewhere to wash your Andy Pandys!

MBQ

Tom John

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 11:06:20 GMT, "sploop"
wrote:

"Tom John" wrote in message
.. .
Hi

We have a victorian cottage with a down stairs bathroom off the back
of the kitchen. Between the two rooms is a 3 foot wide lobby that
serves no purpose other than to ensure there are 2 doors between the
kitchen and the bathroom.

I believe this was a legal requirement when the bathroom extension was
built, but want to pull the wall down and extend the kitchen into the
loobby area. There are no structural walls to consider.

Can anyone confirm i am able to do this, and therefore only have a
single door between the kitchen and bathroom?

Thanks

Tom

What on earth is a "loobby area"???

it was what the estate agents put on the house details.

It's a room that is 3 by 6 foot with a door on each of the long sides,
one leading to the kitchen, the other to the bathroom. On one of the
shorter walls is the back door to the garden.

We want to kock the wall on the kitchen side down so the back door
comes into the kitchen, along with a load of light.

Cheers

TOm

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Tom John writes:
Hi

We have a victorian cottage with a down stairs bathroom off the back
of the kitchen. Between the two rooms is a 3 foot wide lobby that
serves no purpose other than to ensure there are 2 doors between the
kitchen and the bathroom.

I believe this was a legal requirement when the bathroom extension was
built

It never was a legal requirement, but misreading of the building
regs often resulted in this misinterpretation, even by BCO's.
The wording was changed to make this clearer.

--
Andrew Gabriel