Ian Waddell

Default DIY Windows

I've ordered some French windows from Screwfix and am thinking of fitting
them next weekend.

Is there anything I need to do to comply with building regulations - do the
new windows have to be inspected after fitting?

TIA

Ian

Christian McArdle

Is there anything I need to do to comply with building regulations

The windows must be certified as complying with energy efficiency
regulations, which would almost always mean double glazed. As the glazing is
likely to go below a certain height, it should be of a safety (usually
toughened) type. The gap between the door frame and the masonry must be
filled with foam to eliminate any gaps that could reduce energy efficiency.

do the new windows have to be inspected after fitting?

Yes. Legally, you need to submit a building notice before you start work.

Christian.

David Lang

Christian.

Yes. Legally, you need to submit a building notice before you start work.

I've just replaced the front door to the porch cos the existing one was
roten - does that need a building notice as well?

Dave

Rick

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 10:19:35 +0100, "Ian Waddell"
wrote:

I've ordered some French windows from Screwfix and am thinking of fitting
them next weekend.

Is there anything I need to do to comply with building regulations - do the
new windows have to be inspected after fitting?

TIA

Ian

Yep.

You should keep the window spec in case they ask if they have the
right U-value. etc ete etc .........

Rick

Mike

wrote:

I've ordered some French windows from Screwfix and am thinking of fitting
them next weekend.

You did ! Screwfix's "Big Stuff" always seems more expensive than B&Q