Rick Hughes

Default Tiling the floor...

"Slugsie" wrote in message
I'm in the planning stage of remodelling my bathroom. I want to tile the
floor, and have been given enough tiles to do the job. The only slight
problem is that the tiles are 30cm a side, and I've been warned that if

the
floor isn't 100% stable they'll be liable to crack.

The boards under the carpet are currently 60cm wide, not sure how long as

haven't pulled up enough of the carpet to find out. I'm not sure what the
material is, but it doesn't look like wood. There is no noticeable give in
the floor, even when I jump on it.

Am I liable to have a problem? Should I just aim to position the tiles so
they meet over the joins in the boards, and use a felexible grout?

use a purpose made flexible adhesive for fixing tiles onto wooden floors.
(eg BAL)

Also if boards are not rock solid, put some screws in an 150mm centres to
pull them up tight to joists.

Rick

Bob Minchin

Slugsie wrote:

I'm in the planning stage of remodelling my bathroom. I want to tile the
floor, and have been given enough tiles to do the job. The only slight
problem is that the tiles are 30cm a side, and I've been warned that if the
floor isn't 100% stable they'll be liable to crack.

The boards under the carpet are currently 60cm wide, not sure how long as I
haven't pulled up enough of the carpet to find out. I'm not sure what the
material is, but it doesn't look like wood. There is no noticeable give in
the floor, even when I jump on it.

Am I liable to have a problem? Should I just aim to position the tiles so
they meet over the joins in the boards, and use a felexible grout?

Any advice?

--
/Slugsie
-------------

I have avery similar job coming up apart from my tiles being 330mm on a side.
there is some info at http://www.enigmatist.com/free/john49/faq0.htm
Although you might not think you floor moves, I expect it will move enough to
crack tiles.Test it by standing or kneeling on the floor whilst someone else
jumps on it.
Aligning tile edges with board edges will just ensure your grouting cracks.
I will be taking up my floor boards, fitting insulation, screwing thick plywood
in between the joiststo be level with the tops of the joists, either adding
anothe rlayer of ply over the top or putting aqua paneldown, then adding under
floor heating wires and finally the tiles to bring the top surface of the floor
back where the floor boards used to be.

Just athougth but have you tried tiles R us to see if they have a 'how to do
it'leaflet?

Good Luck

Bob

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Slugsie wrote:
I'm in the planning stage of remodelling my bathroom. I want to tile the
floor, and have been given enough tiles to do the job. The only slight
problem is that the tiles are 30cm a side, and I've been warned that if
the floor isn't 100% stable they'll be liable to crack.

And come loose.

The boards under the carpet are currently 60cm wide, not sure how long
as I haven't pulled up enough of the carpet to find out. I'm not sure
what the material is, but it doesn't look like wood. There is no
noticeable give in the floor, even when I jump on it.

Sounds like chipboard flooring panels.

Am I liable to have a problem? Should I just aim to position the tiles
so they meet over the joins in the boards, and use a felexible grout?

The normal recommendation is to fix 6mm plywood over the floor, screwed in
place, then use a flexible adhesive designed for the job.

--
*No husband has ever been shot while doing the dishes *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Harris

I will be taking up my floor boards, fitting insulation, screwing thick
plywood in between the joiststo be level with the tops of the joists,
either adding anothe rlayer of ply over the top or putting aqua
paneldown, then adding under floor heating wires and finally the
tiles to bring the top surface of the floor back where the floor
boards used to be.

so you will be fixing the thick plywood between the joists? I'm
confused why? is it just for strength

It's something I am going to be doing soon so am after as much
information as possible..

People keep telling me to leave the floor boards down and screw
plywood on top of it, then tile on top of that, but I'm worried
because that should mean the tiles are 2cm higher than the rest of the
floor in the house, and I just know thats the edge I'm gonna break my
toes on.
Rob Graham

Dave Plowman wrote in message ...
In article ,
Slugsie wrote:
I'm in the planning stage of remodelling my bathroom. I want to tile the
floor, and have been given enough tiles to do the job. The only slight
problem is that the tiles are 30cm a side, and I've been warned that if
the floor isn't 100% stable they'll be liable to crack.

My bathroom floor is 19mm T&G pine. I have had tiles (300mm nominal
square) laid. The guy got me to lay 9m ply over the whole floor
screwed down at 150mm centres. He was quite insistent that it should
be 9mm at a minimum. For all the cost, effort, difficulty and time I
reckoned it was far better to get someone in to do it.

Rob

Paint for concrete garage floor? al UK diy 4 August 4th 03 11:50 AM
Beech block floor restoration rob w UK diy 1 July 24th 03 02:10 AM
Varnished Floor Brush Marks Bob UK diy 9 July 22nd 03 03:45 PM
Painting the garage floor Andrew McKay UK diy 4 July 17th 03 07:49 PM