SidKnee

Default Electrical Wiring and TV

I am given an option for the TV wiring for my new built property. They are
installing the wiring and have asked whether I need Cable wiring or Standard
Antenna wiring.?

What would be better? Is there a difference?

Sidney

Christian McArdle

I am given an option for the TV wiring for my new built property. They
are
installing the wiring and have asked whether I need Cable wiring or

Standard
Antenna wiring.?

Well, are you going to have an aerial or are you going to have cable TV?

Christian.

SidKnee

"Christian McArdle" wrote Well, are
you going to have an aerial or are you going to have cable TV?

What is better in terms of choise/ cost? And Future proof? Is the cable
any different? I'like a cable that can take both?

Sidkney

Christian McArdle

What is better in terms of choise/ cost?

Terrestrial will be cheaper, as in free. Cable will cost a monthly fee, but
have a much larger range of channels.

Is the cable any different? I'like a cable that can take both?

Well, the cable for cable TV comes out of the ground. The cable for the
aerial goes to the roof. You're not going to be able to use one for the
other. I think you need to decide what sort of TV you will be having. You
could always ask for both systems to hedge your bets, although this will
cost more.

Look at:

www.freeview.co.uk (Terrestrial)
http://www.home.ntl.com/icat/home (Cable)
http://www.telewest.co.uk/ (Cable)

Put the postcode in to find if services are available in your area.

If you're going for cable, you need to decide if you will have a cable phone
or a BT phone. This may also determine which sort of broadband internet you
can choose from. ADSL requires a BT phone line, whilst a cable modem will
require you to have cable television.

Christian.

dmc

In article ,
Christian McArdle wrote:

If you're going for cable, you need to decide if you will have a cable phone
or a BT phone. This may also determine which sort of broadband internet you
can choose from. ADSL requires a BT phone line, whilst a cable modem will
require you to have cable television.

Just to be clear on this - a cable modem doesn't mean you have to have
a cable TV service. It does mean that you will have to have a cable out
of the ground in the same way as cable tv though (which is what I suspect
Christian was meaning).

I've got cable broadband with ntl and no TV or phone from them. Cable appears
out of the ground into a little box and then up the wall into the loft where
the cable modem is. You do however then have to put up with NTLs hard sell
on their other products (I think they have got the message from me finally )

Darren

Christian McArdle

I've got cable broadband with ntl and no TV or phone from them. Cable
appears
out of the ground into a little box and then up the wall into the loft

where
the cable modem is.

Ah, they've changed their policy, then. When I got the cable originally,
there was a policy that you had to have TV as well, but could go for the
minimum package. Otherwise you had to pay an additional fee, which was equal
to the cost of the cheapest TV package.

Christian.

Christian McArdle

www.freeview.co.uk (Terrestrial)
http://www.home.ntl.com/icat/home (Cable)
http://www.telewest.co.uk/ (Cable)

Put the postcode in to find if services are available in your area.

P.S. They are often quite pessimistic. NTL insisted that they couldn't
provide service to my house and wouldn't accept that they did until I asked
whether that meant they wouldn't be picking up the previous resident's set
top boxes.

The freeview predictor claims that I can't get digital terrestrial either.
They appear to have failed to tell my set top box, though, which gets all
the multiplexes.

Christian.

Bob Eager

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 11:51:21 UTC, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

www.freeview.co.uk (Terrestrial)
http://www.home.ntl.com/icat/home (Cable)
http://www.telewest.co.uk/ (Cable)

Put the postcode in to find if services are available in your area.

P.S. They are often quite pessimistic. NTL insisted that they couldn't
provide service to my house and wouldn't accept that they did until I asked
whether that meant they wouldn't be picking up the previous resident's set
top boxes.

The freeview predictor claims that I can't get digital terrestrial either.
They appear to have failed to tell my set top box, though, which gets all
the multiplexes.

Same here. It turns out that they recommend transmitter A, which is
roughly west of here, at a distance of 40 miles, with intervening
'stuff'.

I use transmitter B (not mentioned), which is south east of here,
nearer, and is on a taller mast.

I can see that part of our town can't 'see' B at all; thus the
generalisation. The only real way is to suck it and see. We got an
almost acceptable signal with a grotty old antenna; much improved with a
new one!

http://www.diybanter.com
Richard Conway

SidKnee wrote:
"Christian McArdle" wrote Well, are
you going to have an aerial or are you going to have cable TV?

What is better in terms of choise/ cost? And Future proof? Is the cable
any different? I'like a cable that can take both?

Sidkney

To future proof you should get both - this will allow you to have normal
analogue terrestrial, digital terrestrial (in the form of Freeview via a
set top box/DVB capable TV) or you may decide to pay for a cable TV
subscription in the future.
TheScullster

What type of property?

SidKnee

"TheScullster" wrote in What type of property?

Bungalow, 4 bedroom with a granny annex, 1 room

Sidney

Owain

SidKnee wrote:
I am given an option for the TV wiring for my new built property. They are
installing the wiring and have asked whether I need Cable wiring or Standard
Antenna wiring.?
What would be better? Is there a difference?

It would be better to get someone who knows about TV aerial installation
to do the job as you want it done, with outlets where you want them. Do
you want terrestrial TV, satellite TV, cable, FM, DAB? Do you want
separate digiboxes in each room or the output from one digibox piped
round the house? Do you want VCR/CCTV/Tivo/Skyplus? ...

Those are meaningless terms from a price list.

Owain

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
SidKnee wrote:
I am given an option for the TV wiring for my new built property. They
are installing the wiring and have asked whether I need Cable wiring or
Standard Antenna wiring.?

What would be better? Is there a difference?

Have it done in good quality satellite co-ax. This will be fine for either
UHF or cable.

--
*If I worked as much as others, I would do as little as they *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.