Default Gasey smell in bathroom

A unused bathroom has recently developed a chemical/gasey smell ( we
dont have gas).

It is diffuse and cant be tracked down to one area or item of
equipment

Have flushed and cleaned all wastes etc, but smell still comes and
goes.

Checked light fittings and in roof space.

It is worst after getting the bathroom hot and humid.

Have now decided the smell is coming from the walls which were re-
emulsioned about a month ago probably with standard emulsion over
previous coating of "emulsion for bathrooms".

Is this possible, likely ? If so how do we get rid of it ?

Any other suggestions of sources of smell

Thanks

Robert

royall (at) which net
royall at which net
Kevin Brady

I'd check for a dead bird in the water tank - speaking from experience.

We probably used manky water for about a month before we worked it out
("what's that funny smell? oh must be the shower gel")

This would explain why its worse when

It is worst after getting the bathroom hot and humid.

Thats because the hot water in the bath in infused with dead animal flesh.

p.s. don't go up in the loft alone.......

--
KEVIN BRADY, Oxford
_____________________
wrote in message
A unused bathroom has recently developed a chemical/gasey smell ( we
dont have gas).

It is diffuse and cant be tracked down to one area or item of
equipment

Have flushed and cleaned all wastes etc, but smell still comes and
goes.

Checked light fittings and in roof space.

It is worst after getting the bathroom hot and humid.

Have now decided the smell is coming from the walls which were re-
emulsioned about a month ago probably with standard emulsion over
previous coating of "emulsion for bathrooms".

Is this possible, likely ? If so how do we get rid of it ?

Any other suggestions of sources of smell

Thanks

Robert

royall (at) which net
royall at which net

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 13:32:26 +0000 (UTC), "Kevin Brady"
wrote:

I'd check for a dead bird in the water tank - speaking from experience.

We probably used manky water for about a month before we worked it out
("what's that funny smell? oh must be the shower gel")

This would explain why its worse when

It is worst after getting the bathroom hot and humid.

Thats because the hot water in the bath in infused with dead animal flesh.

p.s. don't go up in the loft alone.......

No water tank. Other showers okay.
No smell in loft space.
Solid walls.
Cant smell anything coming from where the pipes go under the floor
boards.

Thanks for the thoughts though.
royall at which net
Richard Faulkner

In message , soup
writes
popped their head over the parapet saw what was
going on and said
Have now decided the smell is coming from the walls which were re-
emulsioned about a month ago probably with standard emulsion over
previous coating of "emulsion for bathrooms".

Any other suggestions of sources of smell

Only thing I can think off is (a) dead rodent(s) in the wall.
Never heard of emulsion off gassing for over a month.

Sounds likely

--
Richard Faulkner

Question: Septic Smell. Plumbing Pictures Included. A real challenge!!! Marc Home Repair 7 July 13th 05 02:00 AM
Urine smell in CLEAN bathroom solo Home Repair 1 November 19th 04 11:10 PM
Bathroom fans improperly vented jeff Home Repair 11 June 4th 04 05:30 PM
Bathroom Mirror. Terry Home Repair 2 May 2nd 04 10:42 PM
Intermittent sewer smell in bathroom shad Home Repair 2 January 28th 04 03:03 AM