Jim

Default Help!! replacement shower panel

Guys (and diy gals...) I need your help!

My mother who has come to stay has just managed to break one of the
tempered glass panels that comprise our shower enclosure. Quite how, I
don't know, and fortunately she's not hurt, but we are now left with a
shower that we cannot use.

I called the enclosure manufacturer, Coram, only to find that the model
is discontinued (surprise, surprise), and to add insult to injury,
their new models are not even the same dimensions, meaning that we
would have to get an entire new enclosure and fit it.

Since we were planning to put our flat on the market in the next few
weeks, we are not unreasonably (I feel) p*ssed off....

Anyway, I just thought - maybe I can get a replacement panel made out
of see-through toughened plastic.

The broken panel is simply rectangular (20cm wide x 182 cm high), and
has 2 holes drilled through at the top and bottom for runners to attach
to the frame. The glass was probably about 3mm thick.

Does anyone know anyone who might sell something like this, ideally in
the London region?

Much appreciation to any replies.

chris French

In message .com, Jim
writes
Guys (and diy gals...) I need your help!

My mother who has come to stay has just managed to break one of the
tempered glass panels that comprise our shower enclosure.

snip

Anyway, I just thought - maybe I can get a replacement panel made out
of see-through toughened plastic.

The broken panel is simply rectangular (20cm wide x 182 cm high), and
has 2 holes drilled through at the top and bottom for runners to attach
to the frame. The glass was probably about 3mm thick.

Or maybe a glaziers could furnish a suitable piece of toughened glass?
--
Chris French, Leeds
Andrew Gabriel

In article .com,
"Jim" writes:
Guys (and diy gals...) I need your help!

My mother who has come to stay has just managed to break one of the
tempered glass panels that comprise our shower enclosure. Quite how, I
don't know, and fortunately she's not hurt, but we are now left with a
shower that we cannot use.

The broken panel is simply rectangular (20cm wide x 182 cm high), and
has 2 holes drilled through at the top and bottom for runners to attach
to the frame. The glass was probably about 3mm thick.

Does anyone know anyone who might sell something like this, ideally in
the London region?

A glass shop should be able to get a piece of toughened glass made
up to match, if you can work out what the exact measurements were.
(or you could go for laminated if you will be having mother over
again before you sell the place;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Lee

Jim wrote:

The broken panel is simply rectangular (20cm wide x 182 cm high), and
has 2 holes drilled through at the top and bottom for runners to attach
to the frame. The glass was probably about 3mm thick.

It's not that difficult to break 3mm tempered glass
The majority of the enclosures we were looking at t'other day were 6mm
which sounds rather more durable

A proper glass merchants/shop, if you can still find one, should be able
to make up a piece of toughened glass to fit.

Lee
--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.
Jim

Thanks for all the replies. I'm wondering whether the four corner holes
will be difficult to make in toughened glass.

I had a quick search on the net and found this company

http://www.diyplas.co.uk/

which sells sheets of 3mm and 4mm clear plastics that can be cut to
size and more importantly drilled (for the holes).

Can anyone think of any reason not to use this approach? seems to me to
be much simpler than getting glass cut to fit and (once again....)
drilling holes in it.

OG

"Jim" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for all the replies. I'm wondering whether the four corner

holes
will be difficult to make in toughened glass.

I think the usual procedure is to start with ordinary glass, cut it to
size, cut the holes, then toughen it (heat to 650 C, then surface cooled
with air jets).

Just make sure your measurements are accurate!