Hooley Mooley

Default Rattling Radiators

I have just moved house and discovered TRVs for the first time. My heating
seems to "rattle" and the radiators vibrate at sporadic moments. Altering
the setting on *any* radiator in the house stops the "rattle" for a while.
At first I thought it was air and water "hammer" that I have seen discussed
here, but I have bled and bled and bled till I can bleed no more and I still
have the problem.

Is there anything I can try before forking out for the professionals??

Ta

Andrew

Rusty

"Hooley Mooley" wrote in message
I have just moved house and discovered TRVs for the first time. My heating
seems to "rattle" and the radiators vibrate at sporadic moments. Altering
the setting on *any* radiator in the house stops the "rattle" for a while.
At first I thought it was air and water "hammer" that I have seen discussed
here, but I have bled and bled and bled till I can bleed no more and I
still have the problem.

Is there anything I can try before forking out for the professionals??

Probably one or more TRV's are on the wrong end of the rads, some types will
only work with the water flow in the right direction. This was discussed
some days ago in this group by people more expert than me, but I can't find
it easily.

rusty

Ove Hansen

I had the same problem, with occasional noise like someone was using a
hammer drill when the TRVs were opening and closing, and loud hissing
from the water flow when the TRVs were open.

I have a less-than-1-year old system with a Glow-Worm 30si piece-of-junk
boiler (to be avoided, seriously!) and Danfoss TRVs. I wrote to both
Glow-Worm (twice!) and Danfoss for advice, but only Danfoss gave any
useful reply (only once a single-liner from Glow-Worm blaming the TRVs,
and not responding to my other concerns about the piece-of-junk boiler
itself).

Danfoss now has a new family of TRVs where you can change the direction
of the water flow over the valve itself, without having to drain the
system and disconnect the TRVs. Danfoss recommended that I change my old
valves for the recent ones, and the company who installed them did so at
no cost to me, after all it was under warranty and if the noise
persisted they could change the water flow without yet more central
heating surgery. All my noisy TRVs were on the ground floor (four noisy
TRVs out of eight), and had the hot water feed at the TRV side. All TRVs
on my first floor (seven in total) had the hot water exit at the TRV
side and made no noise at all.

After the surgery the TRV noise went away. At least the vibrating noise.

As a second, backup solution Danfoss recommended that I try to turn the
valves 45 degrees to make what was the inlet the outlet (and vice versa
:-), or move it to the other side of the radiator, to make the water
flow over the internal valve in the other direction. It probably would
have fixed the problem, as all my noise TRVs were on the radiators where
the TRV was on the inlet side. Fortunately I didn't have to get the
system dismantled a second time.

My other problems with my GlowWorm 30si still persist though...