Richard

Default Way OT _> under cupboard speakers

Kitchen install is nearly complete (thank goodness) but I have
encountered a minor snag-ette:

I intended fitting a pair of (car) speakers in the scribing panel that
fills the space between the cupboards and the ceiling. That was until
we decided that the cupboards should be higher up the walls. As there
is insufficient space for speakers above the cupboards I was wondering
if there are any that the collective experience of this NG would deem
suitable for mounting below the cupboards.

TIA

Richard
--
Real email address is RJSavage at BIGFOOT dot COM

The information contained in this post
may not be published in, or used by

http://www.diyprojects.info
Rusty

"Richard" wrote in message
Kitchen install is nearly complete (thank goodness) but I have encountered
a minor snag-ette:

I intended fitting a pair of (car) speakers in the scribing panel that
fills the space between the cupboards and the ceiling. That was until we
decided that the cupboards should be higher up the walls. As there is
insufficient space for speakers above the cupboards I was wondering if
there are any that the collective experience of this NG would deem
suitable for mounting below the cupboards.

Depends on how Hi you want the Fi. For anything resembling HiFi IMHO
don't bother trying to make home brew speakers in odd enclosures, buy a
physically small pair from Richer sounds.
http://ws3.richersounds.com/productl...&manufacturer=
for £50-£100 as they will sound loads better. Then stand them in a fairly
open space either above or below the cupboards. Or you could go high tech
with surround sound with a bass unit and 5 smaller speakers from Argos if
you have a suitable amp
http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...go.x=8&go.y=14

rusty

Richard

Rusty wrote:
Depends on how Hi you want the Fi. For anything resembling HiFi IMHO
don't bother trying to make home brew speakers in odd enclosures, buy a
physically small pair from Richer sounds.
http://ws3.richersounds.com/productl...&manufacturer=
for £50-£100 as they will sound loads better. Then stand them in a fairly
open space either above or below the cupboards. Or you could go high tech
with surround sound with a bass unit and 5 smaller speakers from Argos if
you have a suitable amp
http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...go.x=8&go.y=14

rusty

Thanks

Relatively LoFi - at least as far as a room filled with hard surfaces
will allow!

As I said: there is NO space above the cupboards.

I don't really think that free standing speakers are practicle in a
kitchen tho'.

Ta

Richard
--
Real email address is RJSavage at BIGFOOT dot COM

The information contained in this post
may not be published in, or used by

http://www.diyprojects.info
Richard

Thanks for pointing me towards Argos.

Something like this is what I had in mind:

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...ckfrom=imag e

Richard
--
Real email address is RJSavage at BIGFOOT dot COM

The information contained in this post
may not be published in, or used by

http://www.diyprojects.info
Owain

Richard wrote:
Kitchen install is nearly complete (thank goodness) but I have
encountered a minor snag-ette:
I intended fitting a pair of (car) speakers in the scribing panel that
fills the space between the cupboards and the ceiling. That was until
we decided that the cupboards should be higher up the walls. As there
is insufficient space for speakers above the cupboards I was wondering
if there are any that the collective experience of this NG would deem
suitable for mounting below the cupboards.

How big a space do you have left in your scribing panel? Linn Sweetspots
might be suitable

The Sweetspot fits naturally into rows of halogen downlighters and is
simple to install.
Measuring only 3.5 inches in diameter and 5 inches deep, the sweetspot
unconventionally employs a huge magnet and long voicecoil assembly to
produce accurate sound quality, high power handling and a frequency
response unmatched at this size.
Type: Panel mounted, sealed box loudspeaker
Frequency Response: 120Hz - 15kHz
Input Impedance: 8 ohms
Efficiency: 77bB / Watt @ 1m
Recommended Amplifier Power: 20W MIN 50W MAX

http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/product.asp?id=3793
http://www.cyberselect.co.uk/product/74

Admittedly they are about £90 a pair.

There are speakers the size of small halogen downlighters for public
address / background music which i was trying to find online but haven't
yet. Rather more affordable.

Richer Sounds has some small Ariston speakers, might co-ordinate with
the washing machine :-) Under a tenner to under £30

Owain

Rusty

"Richard" wrote in message

Thanks for pointing me towards Argos.

Something like this is what I had in mind:

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...ckfrom=imag e

Making it sound as much like a car system as possible seems to be the main
aim here so I should think any car stuff would be suit

Uncontrolled frequency response from car speakers would annoy me in the
house, where I usually listen on a semi-HiFi, but I can put up with it in
the car as there's so much other noise. I think I would tend to use the
elliptical car boot speakers with dome tweeters then you get decent bass.

rusty.

Richard wrote:
Kitchen install is nearly complete (thank goodness) but I have
encountered a minor snag-ette:
I intended fitting a pair of (car) speakers in the scribing panel

that
fills the space between the cupboards and the ceiling. That was

until
we decided that the cupboards should be higher up the walls. As

there
is insufficient space for speakers above the cupboards I was

wondering
if there are any that the collective experience of this NG would

deem
suitable for mounting below the cupboards.

This could be fun.

Bass drivers require a specific capacity of cabinet for good results.
If you pick one that requires the same capacity as the garbage disposal
unit, you could mount the woofer in that, under the sink, and have the
bass coming out the plughole. Thats what I call space efficient!

Or maybe for the true gurgle-free hifi experience you need bigger
cabinets for that nice deep bass: perhaps the under sink cabinets would
do. Mount woofers in the doors and put 8x heavy duty latches all round
the edges to secure them so they dont rattle in use. As long as you
dont need to get to the pans too frequently in there it should be ok.

Of course you'd need to damp the stored pan resonance as well. Rubber
shelves would help, and cast iron cookware would probably give minimum
resonance. Of course cast iron on rubber could cause a few problems,
like extreme sag. And the fact that if you take one pan off, the
resulting rebound might be so great as to launch one or two of the
smaller lighter items right out of the cupboard. But every hifi nut has
to make sacrifices.

NT

The Natural Philosopher

Richard wrote:

Kitchen install is nearly complete (thank goodness) but I have
encountered a minor snag-ette:

I intended fitting a pair of (car) speakers in the scribing panel that
fills the space between the cupboards and the ceiling. That was until
we decided that the cupboards should be higher up the walls. As there
is insufficient space for speakers above the cupboards I was wondering
if there are any that the collective experience of this NG would deem
suitable for mounting below the cupboards.

Fit directional tweeters up high, and bass/mid range wherever you can
find a big volume of space for a soundbox.

Even a 3" speaker will go down to a couple of hndfred hertz or so which
is where all teh stero information is.

A woofer goes anywhere.

TIA

Richard

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Richard wrote:
I intended fitting a pair of (car) speakers in the scribing panel that
fills the space between the cupboards and the ceiling. That was until
we decided that the cupboards should be higher up the walls. As there
is insufficient space for speakers above the cupboards I was wondering
if there are any that the collective experience of this NG would deem
suitable for mounting below the cupboards.

If access is possible, flush mounting ceiling speakers can give a
reasonable sound, as the ceiling acts as an infinite baffle giving good
bass.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...all/index.html

--
*Aim Low, Reach Your Goals, Avoid Disappointment *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Richard

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

If access is possible, flush mounting ceiling speakers can give a
reasonable sound, as the ceiling acts as an infinite baffle giving good
bass.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...all/index.html

That was my first thought Dave, but I'm a little concerned about any
visitor in the bedroom above the kitchen!

Richard
--
Real email address is RJSavage at BIGFOOT dot COM

The information contained in this post
may not be published in, or used by

http://www.diyprojects.info

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Richard wrote:
If access is possible, flush mounting ceiling speakers can give a
reasonable sound, as the ceiling acts as an infinite baffle giving good
bass.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...all/index.html

That was my first thought Dave, but I'm a little concerned about any
visitor in the bedroom above the kitchen!

Assuming some form of floor covering - like a decent carpet - they don't
actually sound *that* much louder in the room above than speakers
elsewhere in the room at the same sort of level.

--
*Just remember...if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Richard

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Assuming some form of floor covering - like a decent carpet - they don't
actually sound *that* much louder in the room above than speakers
elsewhere in the room at the same sort of level.

Good point Dave.

Elsewhere someone asked the dimensions of the scribing panel above the
cupboards: between 20 and 30 mm

Richard