Michael Chare

Default Angle Grinder Disks

Some angle grinder disks are intended for metal and others for stone.

Can anyone explain what the difference in the disks actually is, i.e. what
property of the disk makes it suitable for either metal or stone. What are the
disadvantages of using the wrong type of disk?

Is it in anyway dangerous to use the wrong type of disk? The labels on some of
my used disks are none to clear.

--

Michael Chare

andrewpreece

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
Some angle grinder disks are intended for metal and others for stone.

Can anyone explain what the difference in the disks actually is, i.e. what
property of the disk makes it suitable for either metal or stone. What are

the
disadvantages of using the wrong type of disk?

Is it in anyway dangerous to use the wrong type of disk? The labels on

some of
my used disks are none to clear.

--

Michael Chare

Dunno if it's dangerous, but I do know that metal cutting discs won't work
on stone.
You get a hot smell and a pile of powder that was your disc starts to
accumulate
below your work. The obscure label problem is one I've come across myself:
like
I said, it's obvious when you have the wrong disc for the job.

Andy.

Ian Stirling

Michael Chare wrote:
Some angle grinder disks are intended for metal and others for stone.

Can anyone explain what the difference in the disks actually is, i.e. what
property of the disk makes it suitable for either metal or stone. What are the
disadvantages of using the wrong type of disk?

Is it in anyway dangerous to use the wrong type of disk? The labels on some of
my used disks are none to clear.

In general, there isn't much danger.
It's a matter of cutting speed, and life.
Disks designed for stone won't cut metal well, or will wear fast.
The exception is 'smeary' metals like aluminium and copper - they may load
up on some disks, and not actually cut at all.
Andy Dingley

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 19:14:26 +0100, "Michael Chare"
wrote:

Can anyone explain what the difference in the disks actually is

Depends on the quality. For "market stall" disks, they may indeed be
the same thing.

Stone is generally harder grains in a soft matrix, and these grains
are harder than steel. So stone disks are an abrasive that is hard
enough to cut effectively. Metals, even steel, will tend to "load up"
an abrasive and so the disk must wear fast enough to expose new
abrasive.

For 4 1/2" domestic grinders, there's no real risk in using the wrong
one. But metal disks will cut stone poorly and wear out rapidly, stone
disks on metal will clog and then cut poorly.

Personally I very rarely use metal disks these days - almost entirely
flapdisks now. The blue pro-cut coated ones from CSM Abrasives are
worth the extra money too.

Magician

Steve Firth wrote;

After a recommendation here I bought some diamond disks from Lidl

and
they are still working well.

Still, at least I note that you fit my theory that anyone using Lidl
doesn't have a clue.

Dave

Grunff

Andy Dingley wrote:

Personally I very rarely use metal disks these days - almost entirely
flapdisks now.

What are flapdisks? Are you saying you use these for cutting steel? The
only items that come to mind are this type of thing:
http://www.toolstation.com/images/library/stock/webbig/17222.jpg

I use these instead of grinding disks, and like them lots. If you have a
good alternative to metal cutting disks, I'd just *love* to hear about it!

--
Grunff
Andy Dingley

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 00:39:59 +0100, Grunff wrote:

What are flapdisks?

Yes, those in the picture. Screwfix's "flexi disks" are handy too, if
you're polishing big curves.

Are you saying you use these for cutting steel?

No. For working into corners I still use rigid abrasive disks - it's
about the only thing I still use them for. I _might_ use a cutting
disk, but not often.

If you have a good alternative to metal cutting disks,

Plasma cutter.
Andy Dingley

On 3 Apr 2005 14:37:02 -0700, "Magician"
wrote:

Still, at least I note that you fit my theory that anyone using Lidl
doesn't have a clue.

****wit.

So what have _you_ made lately? Come on - post pictures. Put up or
shut up.

John Rumm

Michael Chare wrote:

Can anyone explain what the difference in the disks actually is, i.e. what
property of the disk makes it suitable for either metal or stone. What are the
disadvantages of using the wrong type of disk?

Is it in anyway dangerous to use the wrong type of disk? The labels on some of
my used disks are none to clear.

Simple solution to the problem, buy a decent diamond disc for stone, and
whatever metal cutting / grinding discs you need. That way there is no
confusion as what disc is for what. Also having used a diamond disc for
stone you will never want to go back to a conventional abrasive. The
diamond discs last so long in comparison while also cutting cleaner and
faster.

--
Cheers,

John.

Angle grinder discs have the cutting particles resin bonded onto a
fibre re-enforced pad the particles and resin are different on stone
and metal discs. As a disc is used the cutting particles break
off,often seen as a fine dust, as they break away they expose the next
layer of particles and so on. using the incorrect disc will cause the
cutting edge to clog so reducing efficiency this will also lead to
overheating which can, and does, lead to a condition known as bursting
which is self explanetary, allways use the correct disc for the job in
hand, if you have discs that you can't identify throw them away, i have
experienced a disc disintgrate and at the speeds involved it almost
puts you off using one again, i would also recommend covering up any
exposed skin just incase!

Grunff

Andy Dingley wrote:

Plasma cutter.

Ah, I see. They're a lot of fun, but I haven't saved up enough to buy a
decent one yet.

--
Grunff
Magician

Andy Dingley wrote;

****wit.

So what have _you_ made lately? Come on - post pictures. Put up or
shut up.

Well, I recently made an attempt at irony, but it seems to have gone
styraight over your head.

Read the thread on Puny Detergents.

Please pay more attention in future.

Dave

Angle Grinder... tony sayer UK diy 13 August 10th 04 02:54 AM
HILTI angle grinder quality??? Jeff Dantzler Metalworking 1 August 27th 03 03:30 PM
Threaded flange for deWalt angle grinder Hamish Marson UK diy 2 August 9th 03 04:15 PM
When using an angle grinder, should the blade spin towards or away from you? Jon Weaver UK diy 5 August 3rd 03 08:57 AM
Angle Grinder Advice Toby UK diy 7 July 10th 03 10:27 PM