Sarah

Default Shower Pumps or Alternatives

Asking because my boyfriend won't..

We have a nine year old house and are looking to get a better
performance from our lame gravity fed en-suite shower.

In a perfect world, the hot water feed and the cold water feed would be
in the airing cupboard, but instead we have the cold water tank in the
loft directly above the en-suite shower, with the cold water pipe
dropping straight down behind the shower, and the hot some nine feet
away (the bathroom is inbetween) in the airing cupboard with the pipes
running below the floor and back up behind the shower, thus making the
fitting of a conventional pump not so straightforward.

So alternatives we have considered are a Triton T40i Booster Unit, or a
Mira PS1 (aka Enhance) Booster Pump fitted between the shower head and
the rose.

Are there any other obvious alternatives we should consider, or does
anyone have experience of the above two solutions?

Many thanks.

Doctor Evil

"Sarah" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Look at a venturi shower mixer. No pumps required to vibrate the house
down, just a cold mains feed and a hot feed from the cylinder. Power shower
performance. Check your mains pressure and that is conforms to the makers
specification.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Sarah

Thanks, I'll take a look!

Christian McArdle

Are there any other obvious alternatives we should consider, or does
anyone have experience of the above two solutions?

If there's a mains feed, you could consider a venturi shower.

However, provided it is of moderate flow rate, there's nothing to stop you
installing a pump. With high flow rates, you might get issues sucking the
vent dry unless you install a flange (and possibly additional pipework).
However, you should get away without doing this invasive work provided that
the flow rate is limited and the route from the cold tank to the hot
cylinder is reasonably good (at least 22mm with few bends and wide open
valves).

Christiasn.

Doctor D

I used a T40i in our last house fed from the bath mixer taps. It wasn't as
good as the en-suite shower fed from a remote airing cupboard pump, but it
was a vast, vast improvement on the usual pitiful shower fed from a mixer
tap.

John Stumbles

Doctor Evil wrote:

Look at a venturi shower mixer. No pumps required to vibrate the house
down, just a cold mains feed and a hot feed from the cylinder. Power shower
performance. Check your mains pressure and that is conforms to the makers
specification.

Does The Evil One (or anyone else for that matter) know where one might
get an H2O shower in blue (i.e. cheap)?

Went down to B&Q the other day to pick one up for a job & found they
seem to have discontinued them. Google shows Plumbworld doing the white
& platinum ones but they're more expensive.
Sarah

Thanks for your advice, guys. We went for a Aqualisa Aquastream after
talking to our neighbour who had similar problems. This is the shower
that they eventually had fitted, so we know it can be done! They also
told us about the housebuilders' error with the hot and cold pipes
being in a non-standard position, i.e. the cold is on the right and hot
on the left, which meant that the crossed over pipes had to be boxed in
the wall behind. *sigh* Nothing's ever simple. Still, hoping to make a
start today. Thanks again!

John Stumbles

Sarah wrote:
Thanks for your advice, guys. We went for a Aqualisa Aquastream after
talking to our neighbour who had similar problems. This is the shower
that they eventually had fitted, so we know it can be done! They also
told us about the housebuilders' error with the hot and cold pipes
being in a non-standard position, i.e. the cold is on the right and hot
on the left

eh?

That is the standard, same as taps on baths, sinks & basins (generally)
Doctor Evil

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
Doctor Evil wrote:

Look at a venturi shower mixer. No pumps required to vibrate the house
down, just a cold mains feed and a hot feed from the cylinder. Power

shower
performance. Check your mains pressure and that is conforms to the

makers
specification.

Does The Evil One (or anyone else for that matter) know where one might
get an H2O shower in blue (i.e. cheap)?

Went down to B&Q the other day to pick one up for a job & found they
seem to have discontinued them. Google shows Plumbworld doing the white
& platinum ones but they're more expensive.

I did the venturis at B&Q going in clearance. I asked why and they said
they don't sell. I assume many people just don't understand them. Some
were blue. I forget who made them, so it is matter of hunting around.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Sarah

John Stumbles wrote:
Sarah wrote:

the cold is on the right and hot
on the left

eh?

That is the standard, same as taps on baths, sinks & basins

(generally)

Oops! Should read "cold on the left and hot on the right".

Andy Hall

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 00:48:48 +0100, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

I did the venturis at B&Q going in clearance.

What did you do to them?

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Shower pumps Rob UK diy 6 December 31st 04 02:28 PM
Shower Pumps and Thermostatic Shower Valves jdi UK diy 4 December 20th 04 04:12 PM
Shower pumps again!!! Peter UK diy 7 April 6th 04 09:20 PM
Do shower pumps HAVE to go on cistern systems? Hamie! UK diy 1 April 4th 04 08:43 AM
Shower pumps (again!) Graeme UK diy 6 March 17th 04 01:40 PM