Sofie

Default static on right channel of kenwood receiver

Sharon Leigh:
Follow the troubleshooting advice I posted regarding the Marantz (it has a
static problem in the LEFT channel)..... first, look for faulty solder
connections, especially around the high heat producing components ... if
that is not the problem then with an oscilloscope and a test signal you
should be able to trace the problem to the faulty components (usually leaky
semiconductors or electrolytics) or problem area of the circuitry. As I
stated in that reply post.... the nice thing about working on stereo
equipment is that you have an identical and properly working LEFT channel
next to the faulty (static) RIGHT channel..... it doesn't get any better
than this.
If, after reading this, you are still not certain how to proceed then you
might be best advise to have a service shop do the repairs for you. There
are usually some shops that will do more of this kind of work than
others.... ask around.

****here is a copy of my above mentioned posting:
First, look for cracked, cold, or otherwise faulty
solder connections near and around the high heat
producing components..... especially in the left
channel circuitry. Since the static is almost
constant you should be able to trace it to a
fairly specific area of the left channel circuitry....
.....an oscilloscope should allow you to easily
find the static problem stage.... start at the
preamp and work your way to the power output
stage. Could be leaky semiconductors or
electrolytics anywhere in the chain.....
The nice thing about working on stereo equipment
is that you have an identical channel to compare
the suspected faulty circuitry with.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"Sharon Leigh" wrote in message
. ..
I was just reading the post about the marantz receiver static problem.
Mine's slightly different, in that it goes away when I turn the balance

all
the way left, and my headphones work fine. I cleaned every conceivable
contact and circuit and still have the static. The receiver's 32 years old
so I am suspecting something has died or fried along the way. anyone have
any ideas?

bigmike

"Sharon Leigh" wrote in message
. ..
I was just reading the post about the marantz receiver static problem.
Mine's slightly different, in that it goes away when I turn the balance

all
the way left, and my headphones work fine. I cleaned every conceivable
contact and circuit and still have the static. The receiver's 32 years old
so I am suspecting something has died or fried along the way. anyone have
any ideas?

Lot's of possibilities. Dirty or worn speaker switch contacts, bad relay
(if the old amp uses one) contacts, dried up caps, leaky transistors.
Headphones require very little power to produce sound, so some problems in
the output stage might not show up when using them. By the way, do you have
sound through the bad channel along with the static, or just static?

Sharon Leigh

Yes, I do have sound in the bad channel. I think the best way to describe it
is that it sounds like a radio station that's not tuned in properly. It's
staticy and garbled.
"bigmike" wrote in message
m...

[...]

Sofie

Very good point ..... I think we have all gotten bitten by that one.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

---------------------

"Sharon Leigh" wrote in message
. ..
Yes, I do have sound in the bad channel. I think the best way to

describe
it
is that it sounds like a radio station that's not tuned in properly.

It's

Jeff

Hi Dan.
Well if headphone works OK?
At least on the old ones that used to be the first question.
Ever seen a headphone resistor burnt open? (yep, twice)
So if it hums dont leave it plugged in.
Some of those old elements could realy take some power.
Jeff

"Sofie" wrote in message
Very good point ..... I think we have all gotten bitten by that one.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie
Electronics Supply & Repair
snipped:

"Jeff" wrote in message news:31lRa.57999
Have you swapped the speakers?
Jeff

---------------------

Sofie

Sharon Leigh:
OK then...... the simple stuff is OK..... now the next step is for you to
troubleshoot the circuitry as described in all the reply posts that you have
received on this newsgroup. If you can do some of the technical stuff at
your end.... and you still can not fix it, you should post the ALL of the
results of your troubleshooting efforts, inspection and resoldering of
questionable connections, voltage readings, component tests, and if you can,
signal tracing with an oscilloscope..... if you can be our eyes, ears, and
hands, we might be able to give you some additional suggestions.
If, after reading all the reply posts, you still are not certain how to
proceed, and lack the test equipment, tools, basic electronics knowledge and
minimum repair experience needed, you might be best advised to take your
receiver to a service shop for a safe and proper repair, or at the very
least you should obtain a repair cost estimate so you can make an
intelligent repair decision with facts instead of internet guesses.
There are some shops that really specialize fixing the older stereo
equipment.... ask around.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"Sharon Leigh" wrote in message
Yes, I swapped speakers. I also moved the set over to the B speaker
terminals. Guess what? Same problem.

bigmike

"Sharon Leigh" wrote in message
Yes, I swapped speakers. I also moved the set over to the B speaker
terminals. Guess what? Same problem.

Then it's time to start trouble shooting. No particular "common part" is
the cause of that problem. Any switch on the front of that unit can have
dirty contacts and cause static. Be sure to try them all to see if they have
an effect, including the tone controls. They all have seperate contacts for
each channel. If it's not the switches, then I would check the board for any
bad solder joints. After that, it requires basic troubleshooting skills, a
few basic pieces of test gear, and some basic electronic skills. By the way,
what does this static sound like? Is it like a hiss, or is it a frying
sound? A frying sound tend to point one toward a bad transistor(s) in the
output stage. Maybe you could explain the sound a little better.

"Jeff" wrote in message
Have you swapped the speakers?
Jeff

"Sharon Leigh" wrote in message
. ..
Yes, I do have sound in the bad channel. I think the best way to

describe
it
is that it sounds like a radio station that's not tuned in properly.

It's
staticy and garbled.
"bigmike" wrote in message
m...

[...]

Jeff

Ok, if it has preamp output is it OK?
DC voltage across output when noisy?
Model? (strange the headphone would be OK)
Unless its only distorted/noisy when loaded.
Jeff

"Jeff" wrote in message
Have you swapped the speakers?
Jeff

"Sharon Leigh" wrote in message
. ..
Yes, I do have sound in the bad channel. I think the best way to

describe
it
is that it sounds like a radio station that's not tuned in properly.

It's
staticy and garbled.
m...

receiving Channel Five R Electronics 1 September 17th 03 02:11 AM
Static in left channel on vintage Marantz 2240 Receiver Beanie Electronics Repair 2 July 17th 03 12:19 AM
Static Cleaner Fast Eddy Electronics Repair 1 July 15th 03 10:35 AM