Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Help, birds in shop

The birds in my shop have never bothered me in the past years. They simply build nests on top of the truss members.
HOWEVER! Now they started picking away at the blanket insulation under the metal roof, and, not only are they stealing insulation for nest building, BUT, they learned to simply climb between the insulation and the metal roof and nest therein.

Since most of this roof is 20 feet high, it is impossible for me to fix the damage. While there are numerous holes about the diameter of a volleyball, there is on area with a 3 foot by 4 foot piece missing. These are all areas where my cat can't reach.

Any solutions, suggestions greatly appreciated.

Ivan Vegvary
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 30 Mar 2014 13:25:44 -0700 (PDT), Ivan Vegvary
wrote:

The birds in my shop have never bothered me in the past years. They simply build nests on top of the truss members.
HOWEVER! Now they started picking away at the blanket insulation under the metal roof, and, not only are they stealing insulation for nest building, BUT, they learned to simply climb between the insulation and the metal roof and nest therein.

Since most of this roof is 20 feet high, it is impossible for me to fix the damage. While there are numerous holes about the diameter of a volleyball, there is on area with a 3 foot by 4 foot piece missing. These are all areas where my cat can't reach.

Any solutions, suggestions greatly appreciated.

Hire a couple young guys to bring tall ladders and put up netting,
Ivan. Plastic mesh is inexpensive, but it'll have to be installed at
truss height. If your trusses are open, simple nylon cable ties will
work to hold it up. At the corners and odd places, you may need to
make sheetmetal deflectors to keep the birds out. This is a lot
cheaper and easier than reinsulating.

How are they getting into the shop in the first place? Cover those
holes with fiberglass screening or hardware cloth. That will keep
squirrels and other varmints out, too.

http://tinyurl.com/ktuz27z 14x100' 3/4" netting $57
http://tinyurl.com/krozpqg 1000 Zip Tie 4.3" (2-6wk dlvy HK) $4.50
http://tinyurl.com/lslvbgs 1000 Zip Tie 6" $11
http://tinyurl.com/kys7c9f 1000 Zip Tie 8" $16

Alternatively, if they're getting in because the large door is left
open, just net the door...after you hire a ladder/guy to remove birds.

--
I would be the most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people
who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 03/30/2014 01:25 PM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
The birds in my shop have never bothered me in the past years. They
simply build nests on top of the truss members. HOWEVER! Now they
started picking away at the blanket insulation under the metal roof,
and, not only are they stealing insulation for nest building, BUT,
they learned to simply climb between the insulation and the metal
roof and nest therein.

Since most of this roof is 20 feet high, it is impossible for me to
fix the damage. While there are numerous holes about the diameter of
a volleyball, there is on area with a 3 foot by 4 foot piece missing.
These are all areas where my cat can't reach.

Any solutions, suggestions greatly appreciated.

Wire mesh and pellet rifle, in that order.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

The birds in my shop have never bothered me in the past years. They simply build nests on top of the truss members.
HOWEVER! Now they started picking away at the blanket insulation under the metal roof, and, not only are they stealing insulation for nest building, BUT, they learned to simply climb between the insulation and the metal roof and nest therein.

Since most of this roof is 20 feet high, it is impossible for me to fix the damage. While there are numerous holes about the diameter of a volleyball, there is on area with a 3 foot by 4 foot piece missing. These are all areas where my cat can't reach.

Any solutions, suggestions greatly appreciated.

Ivan Vegvary

http://www.daisy.com/node/74

a very..very distant 2nd

http://www.scarecrowvsbirds.com/bird...s/plastic-owl/

--

"
I was once told by a “gun safety” advocate back in the Nineties

I began to give him a reasoned answer and he
cut me off with an abrupt, “Give me the short answer.”

I thought for a moment and said, “If you try to take our firearms we will kill you.”"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

The birds in my shop have never bothered me in the past years. They
simply build nests on top of the truss members.
HOWEVER! Now they started picking away at the blanket insulation under
the metal roof, and, not only are they stealing insulation for nest
building, BUT, they learned to simply climb between the insulation and the
metal roof and nest therein.

Since most of this roof is 20 feet high, it is impossible for me to fix
the damage. While there are numerous holes about the diameter of a
volleyball, there is on area with a 3 foot by 4 foot piece missing. These
are all areas where my cat can't reach.

Any solutions, suggestions greatly appreciated.

Ivan Vegvary

http://www.daisy.com/node/74

The 880 is a smooth bore BB gun. The 881 is the rifled bore version. I had
an 880 as a kid, but they put the 881 barrel in mine by mistake. Its was
pretty darn good out to about 25 yards. I killed a lot of gophers and
ground squirrels with it out behind the grain shed at my parents store. I
bought a brand new 880 a few years ago, and I was heartbroken to find out
they make the frame out of plastic now. A multi pump pneumatic does have
the advantage of being able to be dial back to not punch holes in the walls
of the building.

a very..very distant 2nd

http://www.scarecrowvsbirds.com/bird...s/plastic-owl/

--

"
I was once told by a "gun safety" advocate back in the Nineties
that he favored total civilian firearms confiscation.
Only the military and police should have weapons he averred and what did I
think about that?

I began to give him a reasoned answer and he
cut me off with an abrupt, "Give me the short answer."

I thought for a moment and said, "If you try to take our firearms we will
kill you.""

---
protection is active.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 31 Mar 2014 10:26:32 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Ayup. But the problem with the 881 is "no bbs" IRRC....and the 880
will shoot both and well enough for 50' shots. Now if he doesnt mind
using nothing but pellets..the choices get much wider.

As you stated so well....the problem with most of them..is single
stroke pump..no way to regulate the velocity to something that will
not punch a hole in the roof.

My personal favorite is a Sheridan Blue Streak in .20.
That puppy will bounce a pellet off a stiff card board box or slam one
completly through a 1x2 without slowing much.

These are quite good as well if one wants a bit of a challenge in a
short package. And its pellets only

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Crosman-Pu...istol/15939540

Gunner

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

As I was typing I was wondering how far back you could dial the pressure on
a PCP gun.

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

These are quite good as well if one wants a bit of a challenge in a
short package. And its pellets only

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Crosman-Pu...istol/15939540

As I was typing I was wondering how far back you could dial the
pressure on a PCP gun.

I've dissuaded birds from nesting where they would make a mess by
tossing a stick near them, showing them that their chosen site wasn't
safe. They left without being harmed and I didn't have damage to
patch.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

These are quite good as well if one wants a bit of a challenge in a
short package. And its pellets only

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Crosman-Pu...istol/15939540

As I was typing I was wondering how far back you could dial the pressure
on a PCP gun.

I've dissuaded birds from nesting where they would make a mess by tossing
a stick near them, showing them that their chosen site wasn't safe. They
left without being harmed and I didn't have damage to patch.

So you are against using bird heads on pikes as a deterrent to other birds?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Load some shotgun shells with rock salt - remove the lead shot and replace with the salt. Won't damage the metal roof.