Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Pictures of welding on the jerry can -- converted to fuel tank

On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 07:55:46 -0600, Ignoramus24315
wrote:

Never mind that pesky power failure state wide for weeks or months..you
can drive your car down the road to a non working gas station and not
get another 36 hours of fuel.

You cannot live life without taking chances. There is a big cost to
stockpiling an excessive amount of crap in preparation to an event that
will nost likely never come. I have covered 99% of all eventualities,
and am prepared to suffer a bit in the other 1%, by stretching fuel
over more days.

Of course. Its only the life of your family you are gambling. Nothing
important. Right?

Im reminded of a guy who claimed he didnt need smoke detectors or fire
extinguishers. He lived in an apartment complex. Stone building.

And he was very very careful.

His neighbors place caught fire..and burned him out too.

Poor ******* lived in his car for 2 weeks. Then I put him up for another
2 before the owners insurance got him a new place.

Shrug.

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 2, 5:14*pm, Gunner Asch wrote:

Of course. Its only the life of your family you are gambling. Nothing
important. Right?

Gunner

I think Iggy is in good shape. He has thirty six hours of generator
fuel. So if it is a major problem, he can just run the generator
three hours a day and it will last 12 days. By that time the ice
storm will have melted and he can go get more fuel. During the 12
days, he surely can find some more containers so he will be able to
get more than 36 more hours of generator time.

I have survived about six days without any power. No power from the
electric company and no generator. You really do not need a generator
to survive. So he really isn't gambling the life of his family.
Maybe the comfort of his family, but that is not the same thing.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-12-02, wrote:
On Dec 2, 5:14?pm, Gunner Asch wrote:

Of course. Its only the life of your family you are gambling. Nothing
important. Right?

Gunner

I think Iggy is in good shape. He has thirty six hours of generator
fuel. So if it is a major problem, he can just run the generator
three hours a day and it will last 12 days. By that time the ice
storm will have melted and he can go get more fuel. During the 12
days, he surely can find some more containers so he will be able to
get more than 36 more hours of generator time.

Yep. Plus, what really matters, as far as going buying more fuel is
concerned, is when they put salt on the roads, not when the ice melts.

The risk of having too much fuel -- with the possibility of fire or
expensive spillage -- is far greater than a risk of some nebulous
event that makes me unable to buy fuel after a week from day one.

Gunner is a good example of where too much survivalism is detrimental
to life. No end of the world in sight, Gunner is seriously hampered by
his stockpiles of Stuff, with zero benefit from them received so far.

I have survived about six days without any power. No power from the
electric company and no generator. You really do not need a generator
to survive. So he really isn't gambling the life of his family.
Maybe the comfort of his family, but that is not the same thing.

Was the weather cold then?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

What were some of the techniques you used? And what was the
weather during this six days?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

I have survived about six days without any power. No power
from the
electric company and no generator. You really do not need a
generator
to survive. So he really isn't gambling the life of his
family.
Maybe the comfort of his family, but that is not the same
thing.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 2, 11:00*pm, Ignoramus24315
Was the weather cold then?

The weather was cold, but the roads were driveable after a day or so.
We were one of the last places to get power restored. Could have
gotten water from the pond, but it was easier to fill up some 5 gallon
plastic containers ( washed out industrial xray photo fixer
containers ) and haul water for cooking and brushing teeth. Used pond
water for flushing toilet. Had wood stove for heat. Outdoors for
refrigeration, Aladdin lamps for light, battery powered radio for
music, and Coleman propane campstove.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 13:46:57 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Dec 2, 5:14*pm, Gunner Asch wrote:

Of course. Its only the life of your family you are gambling. Nothing
important. Right?

Gunner

I think Iggy is in good shape. He has thirty six hours of generator
fuel. So if it is a major problem, he can just run the generator
three hours a day and it will last 12 days. By that time the ice
storm will have melted and he can go get more fuel. During the 12
days, he surely can find some more containers so he will be able to
get more than 36 more hours of generator time.

I have survived about six days without any power. No power from the
electric company and no generator. You really do not need a generator
to survive. So he really isn't gambling the life of his family.
Maybe the comfort of his family, but that is not the same thing.

Dan

So far.

But Ill bet you didnt know how long it would be (6 days) without
power..and Iggy has indicated he simply fires up his genny expecting it
to be all better in just a few hours.

And what does he do when it turns into 6 days?

Just use some intelligent thought when facing a situation you dont KNOW
how long it will last.

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 17:00:00 -0600, Ignoramus24315
wrote:

On 2009-12-02, wrote:
[...]

Risk of having too much fuel? You store yours in apple cider glass jars?

Blink blink....blink?

Gunner is a good example of where too much survivalism is detrimental
to life. No end of the world in sight, Gunner is seriously hampered by
his stockpiles of Stuff, with zero benefit from them received so far.

Which stockpiles are hampering me? And it certainly didnt hamper me
when the Coalinga earthquake hit..and took out the power..and dropped my
house 3 feet to the ground. Along with the vast majority of all the
other buildings in town.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:CAtheater1983.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_Coalinga_earthquake

http://images.google.com/images?q=coalinga+earthquake&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=SysXS4P4IIvSsQOI9NyrDg&sa=X&oi=image_result_g roup&ct=title&resnum=5&ved=0CDQQsAQwBA

I kept my family..and 11 other families fed, watered, sheltered and
secure for 17 days.

Detrimental to life eh?

Chuckle.

And gee..we had never had a bad earthquake before that period. Ooops.

Funny how the unexpected bit 800 families in the ass that morning.

Shrug...do as you wish Iggy. Nothing I can say will force you to do
anything.

Just do some serious thinking before "so far" happens.

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 2, 9:01*pm, " wrote:
The weather was cold, but the roads were driveable after a day or so.
....Had wood stove for heat. *Outdoors for
refrigeration, ....
Dan

I put the food in a cooler to even out temperature variations. It goes
into the car at night so the animals don't mess with it.
Bags of veggies keep well in the garage, potatos should be protected
from daylight or they will turn green (bad) and sprout.

Snow mixed with road salt cools to around 5 - 10F and will keep frozen
food solid.

jsw