Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Synthesizer reboot

Hi, I have a digital rackmount synthesizer (Korg Wavestation AD) which
reboot after being ON for a while, sometimes many times in a row (fast)
making a sound like knocking on a door. (When I turn it on it makes "toc"
in the speakers so booting many times in a row makes this knocking sound).

I think it is a power supply issue because when computers have a reboot
problem it's usually caused by the PS. I am unable to get a new PS because
of the age of the thing so I thought replacing the electrolytic capacitors
on the PS board since I heard that those degrade with time.

Am I wrong about that? What other components might cause such behavior?

I also thought trying to fit a computer power supply. I managed to get the
service manual for the synth and it uses +12V, -12V and +5V, but the synth
only puts a load of 0.15A at +12 and -12 volts and a load of 0.8A at +5V. I
read somewhere that PCs power supply can be unstable if the load is too
low.

Any thoughts or comments?

TIA