Posted to alt.home.repair

Default I guess I need to reboot my ceiling fan. Help? EDIT: SUCCESS!!!

SUCCESS!!

I had to spin the fan in the right direction, then turn the fan on, then
have someone cycle the breaker twice before the motor started pulling it
back the wrong way.

I think I need to write this down.

Original post below:

"CraigT" wrote in message
I've got a Hampton Bay ceiling fan that spontaneously started running in
the wrong (winter) direction when I turned it on the other day to dry some
carpeting I had cleaned. From what I understand after talking with the
supplier (through Home Depot) is that it originally came with a wired
remote
that had a button that reversed the motor, for summer/winter setting. I
guess the previous owner of the house installed it with a Hampton Bay
wireless remote rather than running a wire to a wall switch. I also
assume
that some sort of voltage spike/gremlin caused the internal brain of the
fan
to go into winter setting. The tech guy said to try to force the blades
go in the right direction and turn it on. This failed repeatedly. He also
said to switch the fan off and on quickly, but there is no direct
connection
between the switch and fan, so I did try to disconnecting the power to fan
couple of times. This failed too. The only thing I can think of to do
now
is to try this with the hot wire going down the down rod, but I'll
probably
want to take off the blades seeing that I'll be doing this up by a 13'
ceiling. Or, I guess I could purchase a replacement wired transmitter and
receiver and hook it up for just a minute so as to allow me to reset the
motor direction.

Any other suggestions?