Posted to alt.home.repair

Default I guess I need to reboot my ceiling fan. Help?

I've got a Hampton Bay ceiling fan that spontaneously started running in
the wrong (winter) direction when I turned it on the other day to dry some
carpeting I had cleaned. From what I understand after talking with the
supplier (through Home Depot) is that it originally came with a wired remote
that had a button that reversed the motor, for summer/winter setting. I
guess the previous owner of the house installed it with a Hampton Bay
wireless remote rather than running a wire to a wall switch. I also assume
that some sort of voltage spike/gremlin caused the internal brain of the fan
to go into winter setting. The tech guy said to try to force the blades to
go in the right direction and turn it on. This failed repeatedly. He also
said to switch the fan off and on quickly, but there is no direct connection
between the switch and fan, so I did try to disconnecting the power to fan a
couple of times. This failed too. The only thing I can think of to do now
is to try this with the hot wire going down the down rod, but I'll probably
want to take off the blades seeing that I'll be doing this up by a 13'
ceiling. Or, I guess I could purchase a replacement wired transmitter and
receiver and hook it up for just a minute so as to allow me to reset the
motor direction.

Any other suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 10, 4:01*pm, "CraigT" wrote:
[...]

Have you taken the battery out of or de-powered the remote????? Maybe
do that and let is rest for a few minutes! Also de-power the fan unit
at same time? Surely something to reset it to zero; e.g. any holes in
the case into which to insert a straight pin or paper clip to reset
the unit?
This sounds, to my mind, like one of those "Too bl**dy clever by half"
gadgets!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 10, 2:01*pm, "CraigT" wrote:
[...]

A tech said try to force it to go in the other direction! There should
be a switch on the fan to reverse it. Why not buy the wireless
transmitter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"stan" wrote in message
On Mar 10, 4:01 pm, "CraigT" wrote:
[...]

-----------------------
Yes I have. Taken the battery out. Tried flipping it in backwards (9V).
Disconnected the receiver.

I see multiple holes than might do the trick, but nothing that stands out or
is asymmetrical. They all look like something left over from manufacturing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message
On Mar 10, 2:01 pm, "CraigT" wrote:
[...]

---------------

That is what he said.

Yeah, every other fan I've ever seen had a switch and I thought I had maybe
bumped it when I was dusting, but I couldn't find one and the tech said it
is on the wired transmitter.

I have another wireless transmitter sitting around the house from another
fan intall, but I don't know if swapping it out would do the trick. You
really only have two wires coming out of a transmitter going to the fan
motor. Somehow, according to the tech, the orginal wired receiver had the
ability to signal or pass along the signal from the transmitter to an
electronic relay in the fan so as to change direction.

I imagine I could reverse the wires, but I'm not too keen on energizing the
outside of the appliance.

The repair, according to the tech, would require me to purchase a wired
transmitter (that has a reversing button) and wired receiver from Hampton
Bay. Then wiring them inline to the fan.

If I were to do this I'd probably do thuis using an extesion cord just to
reset the fan. Then rewire everything like it is now with wireless devices.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message
On Mar 10, 2:01 pm, "CraigT" wrote:
[...]

The wireless transmitters at the HD website do not appear to have a reverse
button....Are you SURE there isn't a little slide switch on the side of the
fan somewhere???

Posted to alt.home.repair

"benick" wrote in message

"ransley" wrote in message
On Mar 10, 2:01 pm, "CraigT" wrote:
[...]

I feel your amazement. As I stood at the top of the ladder I felt the same
way. When the tech told me it was on the wired transmitter, doubly so.

I've probably installed 5 or 6 Hampton Bays and probably the same number of
Hunters and this is the first one I've seen like it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"CraigT" wrote in message
[...]

I had this happen with a HB fan once. Most fans of this type have a small
directional switch mounted on the fan body, but this one didn't. Sometimes
you can press two buttons on the remote simultaneously, which causes it to
reverse, but in my situation, that didn't work either. I think what I did
was drop the fan canopy, exposing the receiver and just reverse the hot and
neutral feeds, hit the remote, which turned it on in the opposite direction,
then put the wires back the right way and the fan continued to go in the
correct direction.

Posted to alt.home.repair
sym sym is offline

On Mar 10, 3:01*pm, "CraigT" wrote:
[...]

yeah ..dont ask home depot for advice.laughs.i think ethier your
transmitter or reciever is toast and needs replacing, although ive
seen a couple fans that had low profile switch bigger than normal
switch but painted to match fan. see if any info on remote and do a
search look for tech support.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, I tried everything including putting on a new wireless receiver I had
laying around. Nothing worked.

I am now on hold to find out the price of a wired remote and a wired
receiver so I can make a decision on whether to buy them or just buy a new
fan.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default I guess I need to reboot my ceiling fan. Help? EDIT: SUCCESS!!!

SUCCESS!!

I had to spin the fan in the right direction, then turn the fan on, then
have someone cycle the breaker twice.

I think I need to write this down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 22:29:14 -0400, "CraigT"
wrote:

SUCCESS!!

I had to spin the fan in the right direction, then turn the fan on, then
have someone cycle the breaker twice.

I think I need to write this down.

You just did. for posterity. Any time you need to refresh your
memory, go to googlegroups search for
fan success site:alt.home.repair author:craigtoth

Unless you told them not to archive your posts-- then you're on your
own.

Jim