Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default what is this thing? Robinsons Automotive Service Gauge

This is a very old automotive service gauge of some kind - I've uploaded a
file to the metalworking drop box titled "robinson_gauge_1" (txt and jpg)

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...on_gauge_1.JPG

Clearly this thing is automotive related, but I can't figure out what it
was used for - Here is what I said in the Txt file

0 to 30 PSI gauge with two needle valves and two sight glasses. vertical
needle valve vents to atmosphere through small hole in back of valve body.
Gauge face is imprinted "Robinson's Automotive Service" - the number 151 is
stamped on the underside of the curved part below the gauge.

It is a chromed assembly, it has two sight glasses, one on either side, and
it is designed to rest on some kind of cylindrical object - perhaps be
clamped to said cylidrical object - something about 2 inches in diameter.

I've actually seen one of these before, but I can't remember where or when -
this came from a friend's garage - he speculates it's for Acetolyne, but I
don't think so - the fact that the gauge face refers to "service" suggests
that this was something not normally attached to the vehicle, but then
again, since I don't know what it is, anything is possible.

Anyone have clues?

--
Bill
www.wbnoble.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bill Noble" wrote:

I've actually seen one of these before, but I can't remember where or when -
this came from a friend's garage - he speculates it's for Acetolyne, but I
don't think so - the fact that the gauge face refers to "service" suggests
that this was something not normally attached to the vehicle, but then
again, since I don't know what it is, anything is possible.

Are you sure it is a pressure gage and not a vacuum gage?

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Bill Noble" wrote:

I've actually seen one of these before, but I can't remember where or
when -
this came from a friend's garage - he speculates it's for Acetolyne, but I
don't think so - the fact that the gauge face refers to "service" suggests
that this was something not normally attached to the vehicle, but then
again, since I don't know what it is, anything is possible.

Are you sure it is a pressure gage and not a vacuum gage?

Wes

OK, one point for Wes - it is a vacuum gauge.

Now, what is this thing? Fuel ???

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bill Noble" wrote in message

"Wes" wrote in message
"Bill Noble" wrote:

I've actually seen one of these before, but I can't remember where or
when -
this came from a friend's garage - he speculates it's for Acetolyne, but
don't think so - the fact that the gauge face refers to "service"
suggests
that this was something not normally attached to the vehicle, but then
again, since I don't know what it is, anything is possible.

Are you sure it is a pressure gage and not a vacuum gage?

Wes

OK, one point for Wes - it is a vacuum gauge.

Now, what is this thing? Fuel ???

Manifold Pressure in inches of mercury.

JC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill Noble wrote:
"Wes" wrote in message
"Bill Noble" wrote:

I've actually seen one of these before, but I can't remember where or
when -
this came from a friend's garage - he speculates it's for Acetolyne, but I
don't think so - the fact that the gauge face refers to "service" suggests
that this was something not normally attached to the vehicle, but then
again, since I don't know what it is, anything is possible.

Are you sure it is a pressure gage and not a vacuum gage?

Wes

OK, one point for Wes - it is a vacuum gauge.

Now, what is this thing? Fuel ???

Manifold vacuum used to estimate MPG?

--Winston

--

Welds made for grinding.
Faces made for USENET.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Winston" wrote in message
Bill Noble wrote:
"Wes" wrote in message
"Bill Noble" wrote:

I've actually seen one of these before, but I can't remember where or
when -
this came from a friend's garage - he speculates it's for Acetolyne,
but I
don't think so - the fact that the gauge face refers to "service"
suggests
that this was something not normally attached to the vehicle, but then
again, since I don't know what it is, anything is possible.
Are you sure it is a pressure gage and not a vacuum gage?

Wes

OK, one point for Wes - it is a vacuum gauge.

Now, what is this thing? Fuel ???

Manifold vacuum used to estimate MPG?

--Winston

I don't think so, nor do I think it's a balancing device - first, it is way
too old for engines with dual carbs, secondly the sight glasses are small,
not tapered and have no ball, so you could see bubbles but not air flow in
the way a unisyn shows it. And, none of the explanatoins to date would
suggest the curved part at the bottom (by the way, there are two threaded
holes, one from each side, going into that curved part at the bottom -
another part clamps onto this ssembly where the cutouts are near the
fittings.

I imagine that the upper needle valve is used to let bubbles into some kind
of flowing fluid (fuel maybe?)

What is bugging me, is that I've seen this arrangement before somewhere, but
I just can't remember where or when (does that sound like a song from about
1946?)

I am pretty sure this dates from the pre WWII era - possibly early 30s to
20s based onte hway it's built.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve Lusardi" wrote in message
My guess is that is a carb balancing guage for twin carb arrangements.The
needle valves are used to center the gauge range prior to carb airflow
adjustment.
Steve

I don't think so, I have a unisyn - these things don't look anything like
this setup - but there has got to be an answer, someone must know what this
is.....

if you have a hint, I can do some research, but it's pretty hard to find
somethign from a picture (there is the next Google - search by picture

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 1, 9:06*am, "Bill Noble" wrote:
"Steve Lusardi" wrote in message

My guess is that is a carb balancing guage for twin carb arrangements.The
needle valves are used to center the gauge range prior to carb airflow
adjustment.
Steve

I don't think so, I have a unisyn - these things don't look anything like
this setup - but there has got to be an answer, someone must know what this
is.....

if you have a hint, I can do some research, but it's pretty hard to find
somethign from a picture (there is the next Google - search by picture

The curved part at the bottom looks like it would fit the steering
column so a driver could watch it as he/she drove the vehicle.

The vacuum gauges I remember only had a single tube that connected to
the intake manifold and warned the driver when the vacuum dropped, so
did the mileage. Don't see how your unit would accomplish that.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" wrote in message
[...]

well, that's a good thought, maybe it attaches to the steering column - some
early cars used a vacuum oiler, so I suppose this could monitor the vacuum
and inject some bubbles so you could see that oil was being sucked into the
crank case

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

What is it?
If you have A patent # you can check it out at the U.S patent office
site.

Good Luck.
H.R.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 1, 12:12*pm, "Bill Noble" wrote:
" wrote in message

[...]

Could this be part of a water injection system? They were rather
popular in the 40's and 50's.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" wrote in message

[...]

well, that's not impossible, I guess - but some how if it ws water
injection, I would think I'd see some residue, which I don't. One more
hint, if anyone knows how to decode the number - the vacuum gauge is US
GAUGE CO NY, and it has the number AD-2215 in tiny letters - that could be a
clue as to age.

If it were water injection, I don't understand the two sight glass tubes -
The device is mixing fluid from the left side (where the glass tube is
missing) with air let in through the top needle valve, with the flow rate
controlled by the other needle valve and letting the mixture out the right
side with the glass tube.
The inside of the glass is a bit discolored - kind of an oil color, but I
don't smell anything other than old metal, I looked at the point of the
needle valves, no hints there either.

Oh, and there is no patent number, just what may be a serial nuber (152)
hand stamped into the curved part

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

It could be an early top end oiler.
http://vwjudsonregister.tripod.com/oiler_page.htm
That would explain the sight tubes with needle valves similar to the dash
mounted "sight feed lubricators" used for the bearings in early engines as
in figure 116 here, http://www.edsanders.com/car0001.htm.

--
Stupendous Man,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 1, 12:15*am, "Bill Noble" wrote:
[...]

One of the first car test instruments I bought when I first started
messing with car engines was a vacuum gauge. If you know what you're
doing, it can diagnose a wide variety of ills. If it fits an old
timey steering column, that would be a plus, you could actually run
some tests with the engine under load. Being able to bleed air in
would let you see if the carb is set rich or lean, a tach would be a
handy adjunct, but a tuned ear could tell whether the engine sped up
or slowed down. If semi-permanently installed, you could discover
what load settings would give the best performance and/or fuel
economy. Probably there was a whole manual telling what it could do
and how to do it. Good luck finding one...

With today's computerized sensors and closed loop engine management,
practical value is probably nil.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default what is this thing? Robinsons Automotive Service Gauge - antique automotive?

"Stupendous Man" wrote in message
It could be an early top end oiler.
http://vwjudsonregister.tripod.com/oiler_page.htm
That would explain the sight tubes with needle valves similar to the dash
mounted "sight feed lubricators" used for the bearings in early engines as
in figure 116 here, http://www.edsanders.com/car0001.htm.

--
Stupendous Man,

figure 121 on your second link also seems on target - but there must be a
photo of it somewhere - I'm astounded that given the wealth of knowlege here
that someone hasn't said "oh, it's a XXXX"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stupendous Man" wrote in message
It could be an early top end oiler.
http://vwjudsonregister.tripod.com/oiler_page.htm
That would explain the sight tubes with needle valves similar to the dash
mounted "sight feed lubricators" used for the bearings in early engines as
in figure 116 here, http://www.edsanders.com/car0001.htm.

--
Stupendous Man,

I suspect we are gaining on it - I posted the inquiry on the AACA forum
(antique auto) - maybe someone will recognize it there - it's an interesting
mystery

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 22:11:59 -0800, "Bill Noble"
wrote:

"Stupendous Man" wrote in message
It could be an early top end oiler.
http://vwjudsonregister.tripod.com/oiler_page.htm
That would explain the sight tubes with needle valves similar to the dash
mounted "sight feed lubricators" used for the bearings in early engines as
in figure 116 here, http://www.edsanders.com/car0001.htm.

--
Stupendous Man,

I suspect we are gaining on it - I posted the inquiry on the AACA forum
(antique auto) - maybe someone will recognize it there - it's an interesting
mystery

Is it possibly from New Zealand? A Robinsons Co down there distributes
a lot of gauges and test equipment hand has made many under their own
name over the decades.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news
wrote:

"Stupendous Man" wrote in message
It could be an early top end oiler.
http://vwjudsonregister.tripod.com/oiler_page.htm
That would explain the sight tubes with needle valves similar to the
dash
mounted "sight feed lubricators" used for the bearings in early engines
as
in figure 116 here, http://www.edsanders.com/car0001.htm.

--
Stupendous Man,

I suspect we are gaining on it - I posted the inquiry on the AACA forum
(antique auto) - maybe someone will recognize it there - it's an
interesting
mystery

Is it possibly from New Zealand? A Robinsons Co down there distributes
a lot of gauges and test equipment hand has made many under their own
name over the decades.

well, the lettering on the face says "robinson's automotive service Los
Angeles", which sort of steers me away from new zealand. And a web search
for the los angeles area is so far futile - (too many, nothing seems
relevant).

I'm not convinced this is test equipment - it may be something that is
permanently attached to the vehicle and the lettering on the face is to
remind you where to take your car for service. But I still don't know for
sure what it is.