Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default APC Smart-UPS does nothing after non-use

I went to use a Smart-UPS 700 (true sine wave) after letting it sit for
a couple of years, and nothing happened -- plugging it in yielded no
LEDs, sounds, etc. Pressing the power on, off, circuit breaker, and
reset did nothing. The two 120V receptacles (wall plugs) I tried are good.

I disassembled the unit, and found conductivity through the power wires,
the circuit breaker, and leads to the mainboard. The two 30A 32V fuses
to the batteries are fine, but, as expected the batteries are totally
dead after sitting for a couple of years.

I didn't see any obvious damage to the UPS at all -- no hot parts or
connections. There was continuity, separately, through the two
transformer windings. I jiggled all the connectors and reassembled the
unit, and there was no change, even after leaving it plugged in for a
half-hour.

What else could cause absolutely no response from this UPS? Anyone else
had this experience with an APC UPS, and did you overcome it? Seems
like too nice hardware to just trash (after recycling the batteries).

Thanks in advance.

-Brian

I'm as smart as a SA 200 SteveB[_5_] Metalworking 4 March 17th 08 01:13 AM
Be Smart! [email protected] Metalworking 0 January 29th 08 01:27 AM
APC smart ups Russell Electronics Repair 5 June 1st 06 08:11 PM
OT- One Smart Guy ;) JGS Woodworking 20 September 28th 05 07:17 PM
IF YOUR SO SMART TELL ME WHAT THIS IS !!!! [email protected] Electronics Repair 13 December 31st 04 09:40 PM