Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default APC Smart-UPS does nothing after non-use

James Sweet wrote in

Brian wrote:
I went to use a Smart-UPS 700 (true sine wave) after letting it sit
for a couple of years, and nothing happened -- plugging it in yielded
no LEDs, sounds, etc. Pressing the power on, off, circuit breaker,
and reset did nothing. The two 120V receptacles (wall plugs) I tried
are good.

I disassembled the unit, and found conductivity through the power
wires, the circuit breaker, and leads to the mainboard. The two 30A
32V fuses to the batteries are fine, but, as expected the batteries
are totally dead after sitting for a couple of years.

I didn't see any obvious damage to the UPS at all -- no hot parts or
connections. There was continuity, separately, through the two
transformer windings. I jiggled all the connectors and reassembled
the unit, and there was no change, even after leaving it plugged in
for a half-hour.

What else could cause absolutely no response from this UPS? Anyone
else had this experience with an APC UPS, and did you overcome it?
Seems like too nice hardware to just trash (after recycling the
batteries).

Thanks in advance.

-Brian

The battery is dead. For whatever reason, this causes a lot of UPS's
to behave exactly as described. If it sat for several years, the
battery will not take a charge, it needs to be replaced.

Lead-acid batteries sulfate and then will not take a charge.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik