Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default VCR/LCD incompatibility puzzle...

I have a strange predicament...

I recently bought a Syntax Olevia 37-inch LCD HDTV (LT37HVS).
When I hook up my Panasonic VCR via composite inputs, the TV cannot
detect the VCR ("no signal detected"). The particularly strange thing
is that if I use the TV's Picture-in-Picture function, the VCR works,
but only in the small PIP frame. When I try to switch it to the bigger
frame, it goes blank and says "no signal detected" again.

I know that the TV's composite inputs work because when I hook up my
DVD player to them it works fine. I also know that the VCR works
because it was fine on my former 32-inch CRT tv.
The VCR only has composite outputs, so I can't try another type of
connection.

I called Syntax tech support and they had no answer other than, "it
sounds like that VCR is incompatible with our tv."

Does anyone have a more specific idea as to what the problem is?

Thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ray L. Volts

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Interesting. Could it be that your TV is particularly susceptible to
Macrovision signals on the tapes? Does this happen with your own recordings
or just pre-precorded factory tapes or both? Connect a different VCR and
see if that one works with this TV using the same tape(s) in question.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
oldfogie

"Ray L. Volts" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Maybe something in the on screen menu that needs changing.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ken Weitzel

oldfogie wrote:
"Ray L. Volts" wrote in message
> [...]

wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Just for the heck of it, try rf out from the vcr and see what happens?

Ken

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ray L. Volts

"Ken Weitzel" wrote in message
newsNbhf.592567$1i.279120@pd7tw2no...

oldfogie wrote:
"Ray L. Volts" wrote in message
> [...]

wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Yabbut, the OP said, "The VCR only has composite outputs, so I can't try
another type of connection." If it really has no RF out, it sounds more
like a VCP than a VCR. Perhaps the OP meant it doesn't have S-video or
component outs but does have RF out. shrugh

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ray L. Volts

oldfogie wrote:
"Ray L. Volts" wrote in message
> [...]

wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Or maybe the OP is considering the RF output "composite". shrugh, Pt. II

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

oldfogie wrote:
"Ray L. Volts" wrote in message
> [...]

wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

--------------------

Sorry-- I wasn't clear. It does have RF out. I'll give that a try.

Mike

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Tried the RF connection-- same problem.
Then I tried a different VCR-- same problem.
Why would a tv work with a dvd player but not with a vcr using the same
connections? This seems to be the crux of the problem...
Any ideas?

Mike

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ray L. Volts

wrote in message
oups.com...
Tried the RF connection-- same problem.
Then I tried a different VCR-- same problem.
Why would a tv work with a dvd player but not with a vcr using the same
connections? This seems to be the crux of the problem...
Any ideas?

Mike

Best case scenario: Ken is right and this is operator error
Worst case scenario: you have a defective TV

I checked the owner's manual for this model. The relevant pages start at
page 47. Try setting the aspect ratio to 4:3 and the "view" mode to "OFF"
(i.e., not PIP or Split). Set "Pic1" AND "Pic2" to "AV1" source mode --
and, of course, have the VCR connected to the Video1 inputs. If you still
get the same results as before, try setting view mode to "Split" and see if
you get half the screen showing the VCR video.

If the above doesn't work and you bought the TV locally, take your VCR to
the place of TV purchase and have a salesman demonstrate that your VCR does
work with this model TV. Pay close attention to how s/he sets up the TV so
u can duplicate it at home.

Or.. if you got this via mail order, call Syntax tech support. If you can't
get it to work despite these efforts, at least it's under warranty (I
presume), so you can either exchange it or have it repaired free of charge.

The only other thing that comes to mind is that the TV might be defaulting
to PIP when it has trouble determining the proper resolution/scaling and
mode switching -- e.g., progressive scan (if this is what your DVD player
uses) vs. interlaced (your VCR). Since the TV should automatically adjust
itself for this, one would suspect the TV is defective.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ken G.

Syntax Olevia ????? This sounds like the lowest price thing on the
shelf . Take it back and get someting like Sharp , JVC , Panasonic .

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

I had a similar but not as severe problem with a Samsung DLP set 2
years ago. The Samsung doesn't handle non time-base corrected (VHS)
video well. This showed up as bad color lock in the top 1/3 of the
frame. I also bought (and returned) a Panasonic deck which was no
better than the deck IT replaced. After I bought a JVC S-VHS deck with
a TBC ( trade name 'Digi-Pure') it settled right down. The DVD has no
time base issues since it is essentially based on a TBC (memory
storage).

Glenn Gundlach

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

No resolution yet. Based on a recommendation from Syntax, I exchanged
my Syntax Olevia for a new one, but the new set has the exact same
problem. From everything I've read and various replies I've received,
it seems that the problem is due to the VCR not having "time base
correction". All my other components that are time base corrected (DVD,
video camera) work fine. Apparently, these tvs are very finicky about
this issue. I'm waiting to hear back from Syntax whether or not this
can be fixed. I'll post back when I get a reply.

wrote:
a écrit :

wrote:
[...]

I am having exactly the same problem -- but only with some tapes. How
can a VCR be incompatible. Did you get any resolution to the problem?

Panasonic TV model CT-20G11U image distortion: solved, but new puzzle chibitul Electronics Repair 3 July 15th 05 03:30 PM
Puzzle Robatoy Woodworking 4 January 13th 05 02:20 PM
Thank you for solving puzzle. Now I go and..... Robatoy Woodworking 5 January 4th 05 04:15 AM
Kamei pentagon puzzle box - ebay auction Aoibheil Woodworking 0 September 9th 03 04:43 AM
A Puzzle - Iron and Yellow Colour in the Water Peter Martin Home Repair 51 July 27th 03 07:14 PM