David

Default Kerosene for turning Aluminium.

I turn allot of aluminium and have used Kerosene very successfully .
Excellent finish and no or little build up on insert. Brush applied.

Due to changing circumstance, the smell from Kerosene has become too
much and I need to change to something less pungent.

Any suggestions, still brush applied. Remember just aluminium.

--
david

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

ptmachine

I have a gallon of odor free kerosene for my kerosene lamp I like to
run in the house. I haven't used it for cutting yet but that might be
a soloution. Neal

Ned Simmons

In article gyd3e.870924$8l.790396@pd7tw1no, nosmo86
@invalid.com says...
I turn allot of aluminium and have used Kerosene very successfully .
Excellent finish and no or little build up on insert. Brush applied.

Due to changing circumstance, the smell from Kerosene has become too
much and I need to change to something less pungent.

Any suggestions, still brush applied. Remember just aluminium.

Lamp Oil from the supermarket or Walmart
WD40 or CRC 3-36
Alum-Tap

Ned Simmons

yourname

ptmachine wrote:
I have a gallon of odor free kerosene for my kerosene lamp I like to
run in the house. I haven't used it for cutting yet but that might be
a soloution. Neal

See the white smoke

See the man breathe

See the man breathe the white smoke

See the man cough......

Oh but it does make the aluminum so very shiny

I use tapfree II for tapping aluminum, and keep the bottle around for
various suirt on applications. works ok, but not great

DeepDiver

How about building a makeshift fume hood and ventilating the fumes outdoors?
A salvaged kitchen range hood might do the trick.

- Michael

"David" wrote in message

Due to changing circumstance, the smell from Kerosene has become too
much and I need to change to something less pungent.

Harold and Susan Vordos

"David" wrote in message
I turn allot of aluminium and have used Kerosene very successfully .
Excellent finish and no or little build up on insert. Brush applied.

Due to changing circumstance, the smell from Kerosene has become too
much and I need to change to something less pungent.

Any suggestions, still brush applied. Remember just aluminium.

--
david

For years I've used Stoddard solvent that has been used for cleaning parts.
The small addition of oil seems to make it work quite well. Not good
enough for tapping, however. It's not odor free, but low odor---far better
than kerosene, and seems to work fairly well. Don't blame you for
wanting to change---I hate the smell of kerosene and diesel fuel.

Harold

jim rozen

In article , Harold and Susan Vordos says...

For years I've used Stoddard solvent that has been used for cleaning parts.
The small addition of oil seems to make it work quite well.

You've just described WD-40, Harold! This is what I use for
aluminum, from a pump sprayer because I buy it in gallon containers,
not in spray cans.

Jim

please reply to:
Harold and Susan Vordos

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Harold and Susan Vordos says...

For years I've used Stoddard solvent that has been used for cleaning

parts.
The small addition of oil seems to make it work quite well.

You've just described WD-40, Harold! This is what I use for
aluminum, from a pump sprayer because I buy it in gallon containers,
not in spray cans.

Jim

Chuckle! I have a hunch the WD-40 smells better! I expect I'll be using
the -40 in the future. I can honestly say I don't mind the smell.

Harold

Steve Peterson

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
om...
Try PB Blaster!

I don't believe you could find a stinker spray lube than PB Blaster although
it seems to work well.
Steve

Dave Hinz

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 12:10:41 -0800, Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Harold and Susan Vordos says...

For years I've used Stoddard solvent that has been used for cleaning

parts.
The small addition of oil seems to make it work quite well.

You've just described WD-40, Harold! This is what I use for
aluminum, from a pump sprayer because I buy it in gallon containers,
not in spray cans.

Chuckle! I have a hunch the WD-40 smells better! I expect I'll be using
the -40 in the future. I can honestly say I don't mind the smell.

Ah, so there _is_ a use for that gallon of the stuff I got with
useful things at an auction, after all. It's sure not a lubricant,
and I don't have enough uses for a water-displacer to use it for
it's designed purpose. Have to try it out.

Is it good for mild steel cutting as well?

Dave Hinz
jim rozen

In article , Dave Hinz says...

Chuckle! I have a hunch the WD-40 smells better! I expect I'll be using
the -40 in the future. I can honestly say I don't mind the smell.

Ah, so there _is_ a use for that gallon of the stuff I got with
useful things at an auction, after all. It's sure not a lubricant,
and I don't have enough uses for a water-displacer to use it for
it's designed purpose. Have to try it out.

Is it good for mild steel cutting as well?

Not really. But it does work great for aluminum, and we used
to us a lot of it when doing nylon as well. Also nice for
rinsing old greasy motorcycle parts off!

Jim

please reply to:
DeepDiver

I hate the smell of kerosene

Not me. Burnt kerosene brings back fond memories of flying jet aircraft and
working aboard aircraft carriers (where everything smelled and tasted a bit
like JP5 and Diesel Fuel Marine). Ahh, the good old days.

In fact, I have a kerosene-fueled space heater for the garage/workshop.
Firing that thing up is like standing aft of the catapults during launch
ops.

- Michael

john johnson

Hi David,
I use Inox, see add here

http://www.aussieweld.com.au/product.../inox/inox.htm

I have found it to be everything they say it is in the add, a lot more
versatile than WD40 and magic on aluminium.

regards,

John
"David" wrote in message
I turn allot of aluminium and have used Kerosene very successfully .
Excellent finish and no or little build up on insert. Brush applied.

Due to changing circumstance, the smell from Kerosene has become too
much and I need to change to something less pungent.

Any suggestions, still brush applied. Remember just aluminium.

--
david

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Bushy Pete

I use metholated spirits, otherwise known as denatured alcohol or that stuff
the locals drink....

Works well from a cheap squirt bottle sprayed at the cutting tip. It
certainly keeps the tip cool and stops it from trying to weld itself to the
job in the lathe. Gives a nice clean cut and there is no oily residue at the
end of the job.

The aluminium samples are then tested chemically on a spectrometer and the
alcohol coolant has no effect on the results after allowing the sample to
drip dry.

Hope this helps,
Peter

Try using pure lanolin. It's available in tubes from the drug store.

Harry C.

Davey O

Hi David. Im interested in building a heat tratment oven for Aluminum
shafts for the purpose of streitening them. Do you have any insight you
might can share? Thanks.

-Davey

Eric R Snow

On 2 Apr 2005 15:42:52 -0800, "Davey O"
wrote:

Hi David. Im interested in building a heat tratment oven for Aluminum
shafts for the purpose of streitening them. Do you have any insight you
might can share? Thanks.

-Davey

How big are these shafts? Aluminum bends very easily. With a small
hydraulic press (about 5 ton) you can straighten shafts up to 1"
diameter with no trouble. And they will retain the same heat treat and
post heat artificial aging that they started with.
ERS