Default desiccant supplier?

Hi,

I would like to get a couple little bags of silica desiccant to keep
with my squares and straight edge. Where can I buy a few packages? I
see that McMaster has them but that is a big deal to order from Canada
for such a little item. What type of store sells this stuff that might
be local?

Thanks,
Peter

Richard J Kinch

I would like to get a couple little bags of silica desiccant to keep
with my squares and straight edge.

No capacity to those tiny packets except in a small, sealed, vapor-barrier
container.

Suggest calcium chloride in a large polyethylene tub with tight lid (like
Tupperware). Sold expensively at the hardware or boat store as a
dessicant, or cheaply in bulk as a deicer (you said Canada) or as a
swimming pool calcium hardness increaser (Wal-Mart). Regenerable in your
oven.
Time Traveler

You can buy silica gel at a crafts store, I bought some to do the same
job as you are trying to do.It is used for drying flowers to preserve
them.You will pay more at a tool supply for the same product.The craft
store price is a whole lot cheaper for the same product.The product is
loose in the package,I put some in brown craft paper like the ones from
the supermarket shopping bags.Cut the paper into a small packet and
staple it closed.This paper is porous enough to absorb any moisture in
your toolbox.Works great.

Richard Kanarek

Greetings.

http://www.sorbentsystems.com/ has everything you could possibly want
-- descants, oxygen absorbers, bags, sealers, etc. -- and a bit of
information, too.

Cordially,
Richard Kanarek
(Occasional customer)

On 27 Mar 2005 22:35:16 -0800, wrote:

Hi,

I would like to get a couple little bags of silica desiccant to keep
with my squares and straight edge. Where can I buy a few packages? I
see that McMaster has them but that is a big deal to order from Canada
for such a little item. What type of store sells this stuff that might
be local?

Thanks,
Peter

Gunner

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 10:06:45 -0800, Jim Stewart

Hi,

I would like to get a couple little bags of silica desiccant to keep
with my squares and straight edge. Where can I buy a few packages? I
see that McMaster has them but that is a big deal to order from Canada
for such a little item. What type of store sells this stuff that might
be local?

Send me an email with your name and
address. We throw away dozens of
packets that come with our surface-
mount IC's. I'll stick a handfull
in the mail for you.

Budda bing!

God I love this newsgroup. G

Gunner

Leftwingers are like pond scum. They are green, slimy, show up where
they are not wanted, and interfere with the fishing.

Strider
Ron DeBlock

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 08:06:12 +0000, Gunner wrote:

Although..if I was you...Id go to the nearest Indian speciality market
and get a box of camphor cubes, or even a few ounces of camphor oil
and put some on a piece of felt in each drawer.

As long as the squares and straight edge are Not plastic.

Gunner

Will camphor damage plastic? Like screwdriver handles and whatnot?

-Ron

carl mciver

wrote in message
oups.com...
| Hi,
|
| I would like to get a couple little bags of silica desiccant to keep
| with my squares and straight edge. Where can I buy a few packages? I
| see that McMaster has them but that is a big deal to order from Canada
| for such a little item. What type of store sells this stuff that might
| be local?
|
| Thanks,
| Peter

EZ Dry (?) is a product for keeping RV's and such dry. Sucks lots of
water out of the air; I was really impressed. You can get refill packages
in plastic bags at any RV or big box store. Put it in an old sock, wrap it
up in a piece of newspaper, or sew it into a piece of denim. However you
want to make it happen, and you can dry it in your oven for reuse.

Hi Jim,

Thank you very much for your offer. Very generous. I'm going to look
into a couple of the other options and if they don't work out I might
take you up on your offer.

Thanks again,
Peter

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I'm glad I asked!

Peter