carl mciver

"Ignoramus28076" wrote in message
| I have a power supply for some military surface to air unit that
| originally cost $87,000. As far as I could tell, it is worthless and
| cannot be sold on ebay. It has a lot of specialty connectors. This
| thing is about 25 lbs or less and is not that big. It has a lot of
| little similar semiconductor units inside, which, as far as I could
| tell, are also worthless.
|
| Anyone in chicagoland is free to pick it up. This offer can be
| withdrawn at any time. If anyone is interested, I can post pictures.
|
| If no one takes it, I will do my usual thing, remove all screws and
| fuses etc, and will throw it away.
|
| Foreigners need not contact me, it is for sale to US residents only as
| it is apparently a classified item.

Post pics, and we'll let you know what you can do with it. If want to
sell it on ebay you can put it in miscellaneous electronic parts. There's
folks out there that suck that stuff up just to have it, even if they don't
do anything with it. On the other hand, power supplies have lots and lots
of unrelated applications, so if you post pics we can help you learn more
about it.
Never assume semiconductor components are worthless. I've torn down
much larger items for the sake of one or two very small parts. The military
stuff is really good about things with that kind of value!

Shawn

Default Anyone needs a $87,000+ military NavAir thingamabob?

"Ignoramus28076" wrote in message

Foreigners need not contact me, it is for sale to US residents only as
it is apparently a classified item.

It should have gone through demilitarization prior to you purchasing it from
DRMO, although I do not disagree with your position on foreign sale. Are
there any rules that about resale of DRMO items?

Shawn

Cydrome Leader

Ignoramus28076 wrote:
I have a power supply for some military surface to air unit that
originally cost $87,000. As far as I could tell, it is worthless and
cannot be sold on ebay. It has a lot of specialty connectors. This
thing is about 25 lbs or less and is not that big. It has a lot of
little similar semiconductor units inside, which, as far as I could
tell, are also worthless.

Anyone in chicagoland is free to pick it up. This offer can be
withdrawn at any time. If anyone is interested, I can post pictures.

If no one takes it, I will do my usual thing, remove all screws and
fuses etc, and will throw it away.

Foreigners need not contact me, it is for sale to US residents only as
it is apparently a classified item.

SEnd me a message, drop the munge from my email address. I'm in Chicago
Tim Shoppa

I have a power supply for
some military surface to air unit that
originally cost $87,000. As far
as I could tell, it is worthless and
cannot be sold on ebay.

Panels with weapons/radar system markings and stylized switches can go
for a couple hundred dollars on E-bay. It's unlikely but not
impossible that a power supply would have such stuff...

Tim.

Shawn

"Ignoramus3395" wrote in message
On 21 Mar 2005 06:05:56 -0800, Tim Shoppa

wrote:
I have a power supply for
some military surface to air unit that
originally cost $87,000. As far
as I could tell, it is worthless and
cannot be sold on ebay.

Panels with weapons/radar system markings and stylized switches can
go for a couple hundred dollars on E-bay. It's unlikely but not
impossible that a power supply would have such stuff...

Unfortunately, it does not have any stylized markings. I will try to
upload pictures tonight. I do have some nice controls from Los Angeles
and Ohio class submarines, and I hope to be able to sell those.

Having spent some time on a LA class boat, I'd be interested in seeing what
you have.

Shawn

Bruce L. Bergman

On 21 Mar 2005 16:06:34 GMT, Ignoramus3395
wrote:

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 10:13:58 -0500, Pete Snell wrote:
Ignoramus28076 wrote:

Yes, it is demilled, but I am only allowed to sell it to residents of
the USA.

Just curious. Would the buyer be similarly constrained?

As far as I understand, yes. I had some requests for a demilled item
from Poland. I declined, then he suggested to "sell" to his friend in
Texas. I declined also. That was complete nonsense, the item in
question had nothing to do with our defense capabilities. I did not
want to take any risks on that, though.

And in a hidden room in Virginia, some security wonk working at the
accurately nicknamed "No Such Agency" threw down his digital rod and
reel and went "Damn! He didn't bite. Oh well, try the next one..."

-- Bruce --
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
Gunner

Ignoramus28076 wrote:

Yes, it is demilled, but I am only allowed to sell it to residents of
the USA.

Just curious. Would the buyer be similarly constrained?

As far as I understand, yes. I had some requests for a demilled item
from Poland. I declined, then he suggested to "sell" to his friend in
Texas. I declined also. That was complete nonsense, the item in
question had nothing to do with our defense capabilities. I did not
want to take any risks on that, though.

And in a hidden room in Virginia, some security wonk working at the
accurately nicknamed "No Such Agency" threw down his digital rod and
reel and went "Damn! He didn't bite. Oh well, try the next one..."

-- Bruce --

There may well be some scary truth to that....

Gunner

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
H. L. Mencken
Dave August

BWAHHAAA

Jeez you gotta be kidding me...
Yer woried about sellin a funkey old HP data acquisition system extender
box or a fricken batter charger or .. OOO OO a Power supply..
Now that battery charger could be dangerous... if ya droped it on yer
foot....

DAMN what's happened to America to make you sooo paranoid...

Gawd I wasn't laughing so hard I'd be crying....

And 'originally cost $87,000' now you know why the national debt is so
big....

shhesh

Dave

wrote:
I have a power supply for
some military surface to air unit that
originally cost $87,000. As far
as I could tell, it is worthless and
cannot be sold on ebay.

Panels with weapons/radar system markings and stylized switches can
go for a couple hundred dollars on E-bay. It's unlikely but not
impossible that a power supply would have such stuff...

Unfortunately, it does not have any stylized markings. I will try to
upload pictures tonight. I do have some nice controls from Los Angeles
and Ohio class submarines, and I hope to be able to sell those.

Having spent some time on a LA class boat, I'd be interested in seeing
what
you have.

Shawn,

Check out last two pictures at

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp3/

they are thumbnails, click on them to see big detailed pictures. If
you know what this switch is, let me know. I have 3 in total, but
pictures of only one.

Glenn

"Ignoramus3395" wrote in message
On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 19:55:11 GMT, Gunner wrote:

SNIP
And in a hidden room in Virginia, some security wonk working at the
accurately nicknamed "No Such Agency" threw down his digital rod and
reel and went "Damn! He didn't bite. Oh well, try the next one..."

There may well be some scary truth to that....

The rule of thumb that I apply to various decision sof this sort is:
if my worst enemy, or a blackmailer, had learned about an act that I
am contemplating, would they be able to do serious damage to me or
not? And if the answer is "possibly yes", I prefer to not do it.

Sounds like a good rule. "Just because you are paranoid does not mean they
are not out to get you".
Be aware ... be very aware

carl mciver

| Check out last two pictures at
|
| http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp3/
|
| they are thumbnails, click on them to see big detailed pictures. If
| you know what this switch is, let me know. I have 3 in total, but
| pictures of only one.

Okay, now we're getting somewhere. Four fuses, three of them being
labeled 115V 60HZ, phases A, B, and C, and one being control. Motor
overload lamp, manual/remote switch. Sounds like a synchro motor supply.
The military used to, and still does, use synchro indicating systems. You
have something resembling a three phase motor stator winding with a three
phase wound rotor on a three ring brush. Feed it three phase and the output
of the synchro is three phase but shifted by the degrees the synchro is
turned from home. Feed both back into an indicator (I'm a bit rusty on this
stuff. It's been awhile!) and you have an exact representation of where the
thing points.

I bet it's a static inverter, in a nutshell. It takes 28VDC
(intelligent guess) and turns it into three phase, 60HZ, 115V. The
connections on the back would help a good bit more. Got a pic of that part?

If someone can tell us what AN/WSN-5 means, we can get a better idea.
Weather station direction indicator, perhaps? Since the case isn't a mobile
mounted case (there'd be iso mounts if it were mobile equipment or a
different layout if aircraft equipment) methinks weather station.

axolotl

Ignoramus3395 wrote:

Have you seen the photos of the $87,000 power supply?

Where are the semiconductors? All I see are a bunch of 28V relays and a
couple of power supplies.

Kevin Gallimore

Terry Collins

Ignoramus14288 wrote:

I think that the relays contain semiconductors.

Maybe a diode across the coil for back emf, but it wasn't shown on the
casing.

Have you tried using a meter on the pins?
carl mciver

"Ignoramus14288" wrote in message
| On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 19:29:52 -0500, axolotl wrote:
| Ignoramus3395 wrote:
|
| Have you seen the photos of the $87,000 power supply?
|

| Where are the semiconductors? All I see are a bunch of 28V relays and a
| couple of power supplies.
|
| I think that the relays contain semiconductors.

Those relays are hermetically sealed relays, and since they conform to
MIL-SPEC (as well as BAC ) they usually don't have diodes in them unless
noted on the case. Usually what operates the relays are other switches,
relays, and such. Solid state devices operate these through a relay driver,
which comes with a diode.
These are actually pretty expensive relays. Read us a few of the part
numbers and we maybe can look them up. Look them up on ebay and see what
they're going for.

Shawn

wrote:
[...]

Ah, Coner equipment.

Shawn

Shawn

"Ignoramus14288" wrote in message
On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 00:04:50 -0500, Shawn shawn_75ATcomcastDOTnet wrote:

Ah, Coner equipment.

What is Coner? Just curious.

Submarines are divided in the middle by the reactor. Those that operated
the reactor and worked aft of it are nukes (myself included). Those that
worked forward of the reactor were called coners. Some would consider the
word derogatory (sp?) but most didn't. As there has always been rivalry in
the military, armor pokes fun at infantry, submariners poke fun at surface,
etc. etc. etc..., nukes will always poke fun at coners and vice versa.

Shawn

BJ

Have you heard about the truck carrying a load of government hammers that
rolled over? $3,000,000 damage.

OT but very important to us all no spam Woodworking 663 July 12th 05 04:12 AM
OT - Groundhog Day Cliff Metalworking 59 February 10th 05 05:19 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM