Ernie Leimkuhler

Default Back with my stolen truck

I haven't posted for the last week because I was in California
recovering my stolen Toyota truck and helping on my Sister's steel
awning project.

The truck is fine.
I was able to restore almost all the trim bits that were stripped, from
Bay Area junk yards.
The last 2 items were found today just south of Seattle, a really nice
Cloth bench seat and an antenna mount.

Just goofy the stuff they took.
In cleaning the truck out I removed the seat and found some hypodermic
needles, a LARGE hunting knife, and a baggy of some suspicious herb
wedged in the seat cushion.
I don't think the cops really searched it very well before impounding
it.

All told it cost me about $600 to get all the parts to put it back
together.
Luckily they left the engine alone.
This is the original engine and at 150,000 mile I just got 25MPG in the
mountains and 33 MPG everywhere else.
Damn but I do love 22R's.
This engine just purrs.
It is the most valuable part of the truck.

If anybody knows of a rear sliding window for a Toyota xtracab pickup
'84 - '88, please let me know.
A new aftermarket one from JC Whitney is going to cost about $125.

I found one in a junkyard today, but the jackasses had twisted the
frame getting it out of the truck.

The window guys have told me to just cut the gasket off to remove it
and buy a new gasket for the install.

The rear sliding window is the last piece I am looking for.

Oh BTW I passed my Certified Weld Inspector test.

I get to put CWI after my name from now on.

Ernest J Leimkuhler C.W.I.

Yeah I like that.
Lane

"Ernie Leimkuhler" wrote in message
[...]

Congrats on both accounts, truck and CWI. Feathers in the cap are always
good!
Lane

Dave August

Ernie,

Jeez can ya get enough if ya sell the 'Baggie' and knife to buy a window?
just kidding :-)

I hear ya about those 22R's got one in my '82 'yoter'.. runs as good as the
day it was built..

Dave J.R.G (just a regular guy)

Tom Gardner

Ernie,
Please send me the "suspicious herb" and I will test it for you.

Tommy

"Ernie Leimkuhler"
wrote in message
[...]

Harold and Susan Vordos

"Ernie Leimkuhler" wrote in message
snip-------
Ernest J Leimkuhler C.W.I.

Yeah I like that.

Way cool, Ernie!

Harold

Mike Fields

[...]

Congrats on the CWI -- how do you get 25 and 33mpg on that engine ??
I have the 22R in a 1984 with 216k on it and it always runs about 20-22 mpg
as I drive by your house !! (I live in Kirkland and work in Auburn)

WARNING -- watch the timing chain on that engine -- it will eat through
the inside of the timing cover into the water passage -- common failure
(ask me how I know ... ) If you have not replaced the chain, consider
doing it soon !!

mikey

Ernie Leimkuhler

In article AsN_d.720194$6l.592621@pd7tw2no, David Todtman
wrote:

Congrats on the truck return. And getting your inspector's ticket. What
will you do with it?
Ciao
David Todtman

Good question.
First step is to get my WABO ( Washington Assoc. of Building Officers)
Examiner's Card so I can do WABO certs at school.

Then I have some decisions to make about where I want to go next.
To actually do inspections I will have to intern with an inspection
company and start racking up Non-destructive testing field hours.

[...]

Ernie Leimkuhler

In article , Mike Fields
wrote:

[...]

I was rather stunned myself.
I had all the fluids changed in Berkeley before I left.

I only filled up 3 times the whole 800 mile trip, and I could have
skipped the last one.

I have the 22R in a 1984 with 216k on it and it always runs about 20-22 mpg
as I drive by your house !! (I live in Kirkland and work in Auburn)

WARNING -- watch the timing chain on that engine -- it will eat through
the inside of the timing cover into the water passage -- common failure
(ask me how I know ... ) If you have not replaced the chain, consider
doing it soon !!

mikey

Usually what happens is the chain tensioner, which is oil pressure
driven, gets it's feed way clogged with gunk.
That slacks your chain, which then beats the chain guide to bits on the
passenger side.
Then the chain starts grinding through the aluminum cover.
If it cuts through to the coolant line, you get a block full of
mayonaise.

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 07:11:57 GMT, the inscrutable Ernie Leimkuhler
spake:

I haven't posted for the last week because I was in California
recovering my stolen Toyota truck and helping on my Sister's steel
awning project.

The truck is fine.
I was able to restore almost all the trim bits that were stripped, from
Bay Area junk yards.
The last 2 items were found today just south of Seattle, a really nice
Cloth bench seat and an antenna mount.

Is the insurance company covering the refit, I hope?

Luckily they left the engine alone.
This is the original engine and at 150,000 mile I just got 25MPG in the
mountains and 33 MPG everywhere else.

Amazing and wonderful!

Damn but I do love 22R's.
This engine just purrs.
It is the most valuable part of the truck.

Oh BTW I passed my Certified Weld Inspector test.

I get to put CWI after my name from now on.

Ernest J Leimkuhler C.W.I.

I only filled up 3 times the whole 800 mile trip, and I could have
skipped the last one.

How long did the trip take? I live in GP and wondered how long the
trip to Seattle takes. I want to visit there someday soon and to
see the awe-inspiring showroom of Griz in Bellingham, maybe even
cross the northern border. I've been across the Mexiborder in the
past.

Usually what happens is the chain tensioner, which is oil pressure
driven, gets it's feed way clogged with gunk.
That slacks your chain, which then beats the chain guide to bits on the
passenger side.
Then the chain starts grinding through the aluminum cover.
If it cuts through to the coolant line, you get a block full of
mayonaise.

I've seen a few of those, the first time to a friend who supervised
newsaper routes and put on beaucoup miles on his Toy P'up, but most
while wrenching. Mayo is a good description of what the oil looks like
after running with a breach.

BTW, congrats on the credentials, MISTER Ernie.

--

People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but
most of the time they'll pick themselves up and carry on.
jim rozen

In article , Ernie Leimkuhler says...

Luckily they left the engine alone.
This is the original engine and at 150,000 mile I just got 25MPG in the
mountains and 33 MPG everywhere else.
Damn but I do love 22R's.
This engine just purrs.
It is the most valuable part of the truck.

They don't make those motors any more. I'm not going to
give *mine* up until the body rots off around it all the
way this time.

If anybody knows of a rear sliding window for a Toyota xtracab pickup
'84 - '88, please let me know.
A new aftermarket one from JC Whitney is going to cost about $125.

Do you need the entire window, or just the slider bit? The first
toyota pickup I bought had been rear-ended, and it blew out the
slider. I just replaced it with a piece of plexiglass.

Glad to hear you've been re-united with your buddy!

Jim

please reply to:
Ernie Leimkuhler

In article , Larry Jaques
wrote:

Ernest J Leimkuhler C.W.I.

I only filled up 3 times the whole 800 mile trip, and I could have
skipped the last one.

How long did the trip take? I live in GP and wondered how long the
trip to Seattle takes. I want to visit there someday soon and to
see the awe-inspiring showroom of Griz in Bellingham, maybe even
cross the northern border. I've been across the Mexiborder in the
past.

Realistically 14 hours straight through with a few short breaks and
food.
Ernie Leimkuhler

In article , jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Ernie Leimkuhler says...

Luckily they left the engine alone.
This is the original engine and at 150,000 mile I just got 25MPG in the
mountains and 33 MPG everywhere else.
Damn but I do love 22R's.
This engine just purrs.
It is the most valuable part of the truck.

They don't make those motors any more. I'm not going to
give *mine* up until the body rots off around it all the
way this time.

The last year they used it was '95 in the first Tacoma.

If anybody knows of a rear sliding window for a Toyota xtracab pickup
'84 - '88, please let me know.
A new aftermarket one from JC Whitney is going to cost about $125.

Do you need the entire window, or just the slider bit? The first
toyota pickup I bought had been rear-ended, and it blew out the
slider. I just replaced it with a piece of plexiglass.

Glad to hear you've been re-united with your buddy!

Jim

I need the whole thing.
The gaskets and seals are all dead on mine.
I had a glass shop in Oakland glue a rectangle of safety glass over the
opening so I could drive it.
Grant Erwin

How long did the trip take? I live in GP and wondered how long the
trip to Seattle takes. I want to visit there someday soon and to
see the awe-inspiring showroom of Griz in Bellingham, maybe even
cross the northern border. I've been across the Mexiborder in the
past.

I live about 2 hours south of the Grizzly showroom. I wouldn't drive up
there. I don't recommend it and I certainly wouldn't drive from California
for just that. - GWE

Greg M

- Ernie Leimkuhler - spluttered in
:

I haven't posted for the last week because I was in California
recovering my stolen Toyota truck and helping on my Sister's steel
awning project.

snip
Oh BTW I passed my Certified Weld Inspector test.

I get to put CWI after my name from now on.

Ernest J Leimkuhler C.W.I.

Yeah I like that.

That's great Ernie!
JR North

150K? On the original timing chain? Hope not. If it's rattling, it's
hitting the timing cover, and will wear a hole in it soon. If it fails,
your engine will trash itself instantly. Hope you swapped it out some
time ago.
JR
Dweller in the cellar
1981 Toyota Corona LE 175k on the 22R. You could balance a nickel on the
valve cover while idling...

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:
[...]

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
JR North

http://www.northwestoffroad.com/index.html
Lots of 22R parts, aftermarket stuff, headers, cams, etc
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:

[...]

Jim McGill

Larry

I drive down to Mendocino from Seattle once a year for music camp and we
hit Cave Junction just about time for dinner (love that Wild River pizza
& brewpub there). So that's 8-9 hours from Seattle. Figure 7-8 hours
from Grants Pass to Seattle, assuming you don't hit Portland, Olympia,
or Tacoma at rush hour.

Jim
CarlC

I live just east of Everett, I'd figure a good hour up to Grizzly.

GP ... Grants Pass? I can make Portland in just under 3 hours. I
can't remember exactly, but when I went to PRIME in Eugene, I think it
took me between 4 & 5 hours. I had my motor home into Henderson's
lineup at GP one time, but don't remember the time there. So, I'd
figure 5 to 6 hours from Eugene to Grizzly.
Carl

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 09:09:31 -0800, Grant Erwin
wrote:

How long did the trip take? I live in GP and wondered how long the
trip to Seattle takes. I want to visit there someday soon and to
see the awe-inspiring showroom of Griz in Bellingham, maybe even
cross the northern border. I've been across the Mexiborder in the
past.

I live about 2 hours south of the Grizzly showroom. I wouldn't drive up
there. I don't recommend it and I certainly wouldn't drive from California
for just that. - GWE

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 05:40:52 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

snip

How long did the trip take? I live in GP and wondered how long the
trip to Seattle takes. I want to visit there someday soon and to
see the awe-inspiring showroom of Griz in Bellingham, maybe even
cross the northern border. I've been across the Mexiborder in the
past.

Grants Pass to Seattle is about 8-9 hours depending on how ya drive.
Bellingham is another 3 hours er so. There are quite a few speed
traps in between. Crossing the border *can* be a nightmare, but
usually isn't. I'd cross in Lynden rather than Blaine, it's only 1/2
hour or so east. Having a passport will simplify crossings
considerably.

Oh yeah, taking the I-205 bypass around Portland, OR is still better
than I-5 through it... not by much though. I-405 bypass around
Seattle sucks just as bad as I-5, worse sometimes. Good traffic
reports near Seattle are found at 710 on yer am dial, KIRO. You
*don't* want to go through Portland or Seattle during rush hour!

Snarl

Siggy

I had a '91 PU with 22R that had 196,000 miles on it - never replaced the
timing chain. In fact, I never even replaced the plugs in that truck -
ever! Heck, I was afraid to. I figured the plugs would be seized to the
head and I'd probably strip the threads getting them out. Interestingly,
from when I bought it to when it rolled over 100,000 I averaged a little
over 24 mph lifetime. When I finally got rid of it last year the average
MPG was up to 27.2 lifetime. It still ran as good as it did the day I
bought it too. Darndest thing I ever saw watching the mileage get better
and better the more miles I had on that thing. I'm wishing now that I never
got rid of it. My new Toyo is giving me only 17.2 MPG so far, but I don't
even have 10,000 on it yet so I guess it isn't broken in good yet...

Robert

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:
[...]

ff

JR North wrote:

http://www.northwestoffroad.com/index.html
Lots of 22R parts, aftermarket stuff, headers, cams, etc
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Their Offenhauser 4bbl manifold for the 22R looks hot, too bad I live in
Calif.--smog test every 2 years :-(

fred
Jim Stewart

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:

Truck stuff snipped...

Oh BTW I passed my Certified Weld Inspector test.

I get to put CWI after my name from now on.

Ernest J Leimkuhler C.W.I.

Yeah I like that.

Tell us about the test when you have a chance.
pyotr filipivich

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show Ernie Leimkuhler
wrote back on Sat, 19 Mar 2005 15:43:05 GMT in
rec.crafts.metalworking :

I only filled up 3 times the whole 800 mile trip, and I could have
skipped the last one.

How long did the trip take? I live in GP and wondered how long the
trip to Seattle takes. I want to visit there someday soon and to
see the awe-inspiring showroom of Griz in Bellingham, maybe even
cross the northern border. I've been across the Mexiborder in the
past.

Realistically 14 hours straight through with a few short breaks and
food.

Yeah, sounds about right.

Seattle Portland - 3 hrs.

Portland Salem - one hour

Salem Medford - five hours (Albany to Junction city on 99E, not I-5,
stopping for breakfast and lunch along the way.)

Hey Grant's Pass to Seattle is "flat" compared to the stretch from
Medford to Weed. :-)

--
pyotr filipivich.

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 09:09:31 -0800, the inscrutable Grant Erwin
spake:

How long did the trip take? I live in GP and wondered how long the
trip to Seattle takes. I want to visit there someday soon and to
see the awe-inspiring showroom of Griz in Bellingham, maybe even
cross the northern border. I've been across the Mexiborder in the
past.

I live about 2 hours south of the Grizzly showroom. I wouldn't drive up
there. I don't recommend it and I certainly wouldn't drive from California
for just that. - GWE

Why do you say that, Grant?

I'm just north of the CA border now, living in Grants Pass, OR, so I'm
only about 500 miles south of Seattle. I haven't yet made the trek
into WA so I'm curious how long it takes and what good sights there
are to see on the way up.

--

People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but
most of the time they'll pick themselves up and carry on.
--anon
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 12:27:47 -0800, the inscrutable Jim McGill
spake:

Larry

I drive down to Mendocino from Seattle once a year for music camp and we
hit Cave Junction just about time for dinner (love that Wild River pizza
& brewpub there). So that's 8-9 hours from Seattle. Figure 7-8 hours
from Grants Pass to Seattle, assuming you don't hit Portland, Olympia,
or Tacoma at rush hour.

Thanks, Jim. Any great stops along the way?

--

People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but
most of the time they'll pick themselves up and carry on.
--anon

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 01:37:43 GMT, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show wrote
back on Sat, 19 Mar 2005 12:58:37 -0800 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

Oh yeah, taking the I-205 bypass around Portland, OR is still better
than I-5 through it... not by much though. I-405 bypass around
Seattle sucks just as bad as I-5, worse sometimes. Good traffic
reports near Seattle are found at 710 on yer am dial, KIRO.

Or KOMO 1000 AM.

Arrgh! I stand corrected, you Sir are absolutely right. I'm blaming
that one on oldtimers disease. Switched from KIRO to KOMO a few weeks
ago.

KOMO is much better than KIRO for traffic updates... "every 10 minutes
on the fours." Actually, KOMO is better all around than KIRO... can't
stand that Dori Monson punk. I do like Dave Ross more often than not
tho. And Dave Niehouse(sp), ya gotta love that guy if ya like
baseball. He's why I switched.

You *don't* want to go through Portland or Seattle during rush hour!

Or anywhere near rush hour. Portland isn't great, but Seattle has made
a science of it. I-5 narrows from four to two lanes right in the middle of
town, then adds traffic entering on the left and trying to make the right
side off ramp a mile up the road. I-405 just makes a couple miles one lane
(as the left lane is HOV, the right lane is backed up for the exit, which
leaves the middle lane for everything.)

My advice is to take a lunch/dinner break in Fife from oh 4:30 to 6.

Good advice. Weekends are generally a better bet getting through th'
big ****ty unscathed, but can still cause a significant raise in
blood pressure. We moved out to th' toolies near Shelton 15 years
ago, y'all can have Seattle as far as I'm concerned.

Snarl

Grant Erwin

Larry Jaques wrote:
From bottom to top on I-5, Oregon takes 6 hours (302 miles). From Salem
to Seattle is 4 hours. The Grizzly showroom is just a bunch of Chinese junk
with real pretty paint. It isn't real big, either. What's on the floor is
mostly drill presses and bandsaws and a few wood machines. When I was there
they had a counter with some stuff under glass, but nothing like their whole
line. They are after all a mail order house.

I just think if you had to drive more than an hour to get to it, you'd be
disappointed. If you want to see machines, drive north to I-90 then veer
east over Snoqualmie Pass and get off in George, Washington, when you see
the huge quonset hut just south of I-90 on the frontage road. George Washington
Machinery has a *lot* of cool machines to look at, or they used to.

I might come up the Oregon Coast. There used to be a guy in Port Orford who
had a bunch of machinery. I think he was doing business as Anchor Machinery.

Elephant Hardware is fun to visit on Burnside just east of the river in
Portland, Oregon. So is Powell's Technical Books, especially if you like books
about metalworking. They have thousands of them. Although since the advent of
the Internet, rare stuff doesn't sit there long.

In Seattle, Hardwick's Swap Shop is worth a visit, as is Boeing Surplus, but
both of these places are far, far past their prime. Pacific Industrial Supply
might be amusing for the uninitiated - lots of real big industrial jetsam.

Depends on your interests, of course. Post when you get ready to go, lots of
folks will chime in.

GWE

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 09:09:31 -0800, the inscrutable Grant Erwin
spake:

How long did the trip take? I live in GP and wondered how long the
trip to Seattle takes. I want to visit there someday soon and to
see the awe-inspiring showroom of Griz in Bellingham, maybe even
cross the northern border. I've been across the Mexiborder in the
past.

I live about 2 hours south of the Grizzly showroom. I wouldn't drive up
there. I don't recommend it and I certainly wouldn't drive from California
for just that. - GWE

Why do you say that, Grant?

I'm just north of the CA border now, living in Grants Pass, OR, so I'm
only about 500 miles south of Seattle. I haven't yet made the trek
into WA so I'm curious how long it takes and what good sights there
are to see on the way up.

Ernie Leimkuhler

In article , Jim Stewart
wrote:

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:

Truck stuff snipped...

Oh BTW I passed my Certified Weld Inspector test.

I get to put CWI after my name from now on.

Ernest J Leimkuhler C.W.I.

Yeah I like that.

Tell us about the test when you have a chance.

There are 3 sections.
You have to score at least 72% on all 3 to pass.

Open Code book 46 questions 2 hours.
There are 4 codebooks you can use
D1.1 Structural Code, API-1104 Pipeline Code, Rail Code and Bridge Code
I chose API-1104 on the advice of a friend and damn glad I did.
API-1104 is only 57 pages long.
D1.1 is 656 pages.

Practical 46 questions 2 hours.
You have to measure rersin casts of welds and determine if they pass
according to the code they give you.
There were a lot more questions about X-rays than I was expecting.

General Welding Knowledge 150 questions 2 hours.
This covers a wide range of welding stuff from SMAW electrode numbers
to obscure welding processes like ElectroSlag Welding.

I had no problem zipping through the open Code and General Knowledge
sections.
My brain is really good at storing and recalling technical minutae.
The Practical worried me because there were a lot more radiography
questions than I was prepared for.
It is the only section of the test that I wasn't 100% sure I passed.

The guys who teach the seminars are not allowed to actually know what
is on the test.
They have to guess and hope they cover the right materiels.
The code clinics are great.
Well worth the cash.
Mike Fields

Well, as a clue, go to any wrecking yard and take a look for
a timing cover for that engine - almost ALL of them you find
will have the "chainsaw effect" on the inside from the chain
slapping and munching at the housing. Ernie may be right
about some of them with the clogged tensioner, but in my
case, it was a case of the chain had worn and the tensioner
was worn to the point where it could no longer hold the chain
tight when the tensioner was fully extended. This seems to be
the normal failure mode. When you go to change the chain
(not too bad a job) change the tensioner too - it has some sort
of plastic/teflon/nylon pad that runs against the chain that wears
out. Do change the chain though -- the consequences are
pretty bad if you lose the chain -- even just eating the housing
like mine did was a pain. Also, just for entertainment, there is
a "hidden" bolt no one can find and you can break things trying
to get the timing housing off -- just under the timing gear on the
camshaft (OHC) at the front, hidden in the pool of oil is one
last bolt that goes down from the head into the timing housing.

mikey

. ..

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:
[...]

Mike Fields

"Jim McGill" wrote in message
Larry

I drive down to Mendocino from Seattle once a year for music camp and we
hit Cave Junction just about time for dinner (love that Wild River pizza
& brewpub there). So that's 8-9 hours from Seattle. Figure 7-8 hours
from Grants Pass to Seattle, assuming you don't hit Portland, Olympia,
or Tacoma at rush hour.

Jim

I have yet to figure out why they call it "rush hour" -- there ain't no one
"rushing" anywhere at that time (one of the guys I worked with wanted
to have the parking meter concession on I-5 for the rush hour ... )

mikey

DE

Having done three timing chain jobs on 22re's in the last couple of
years, I can safely chime in here and second this as sound advice.

The pieces of broken guides have been known to plug the
oil screen and cause major problems . Do not go back
with the plastic guides, use the steel backed ones.

The factory service interval is 60K on replacing the guides.....

DE

[...]

Sunworshipper

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 09:16:37 -0700, DE
wrote:

Having done three timing chain jobs on 22re's in the last couple of
years, I can safely chime in here and second this as sound advice.

The pieces of broken guides have been known to plug the
oil screen and cause major problems . Do not go back
with the plastic guides, use the steel backed ones.

The factory service interval is 60K on replacing the guides.....

DE

How do you all do that without the stick on the wire trick to hold the
tensioners back while its being put together? Took me 5 trys to
finally figure that out.

Reading this stuff has me worried now cause my old ones just have to
be on the bottom of the oil pan. Anyone know how to get the pan off
without pulling the engine.

Oh, E's cover is 1/8" taller or shorter than the R's. I bought the
real book from the factory for my then new '86 and it isn't much help.
But, the truck is mind boggling, mine has deep creases in the metal
underneath. I just wish I could run across a cheap 4 wheel drive rear
end so that both back wheels spin , if I back up on two ant hills I
could get stuck.

I put in different seats. Bucket seats from some poor skate. Only
problem is that the back adjustment is toward the center of the cab.

There is one of those power back windows just a couple of houses away
out in the elements. Cool.

So, Erine is a real welder now?
[...]

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 12:58:37 -0800, the inscrutable
spake:

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 05:40:52 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

snip

How long did the trip take? I live in GP and wondered how long the
trip to Seattle takes. I want to visit there someday soon and to
see the awe-inspiring showroom of Griz in Bellingham, maybe even
cross the northern border. I've been across the Mexiborder in the
past.

Grants Pass to Seattle is about 8-9 hours depending on how ya drive.
Bellingham is another 3 hours er so. There are quite a few speed
traps in between.

Oregon is the same way. I no longer speed up here, but trips to CA
end up at 75-80mph on the southern end just keeping up with traffic.
I like a faster pace on a longer drive and would HAPPILY drive 200mph
(given a vehicle which could do it) on a good road to get where I'm
going faster. Too bad we don't have Autobahns here. Minimum 100mph
and entrances/exits about every 10 miles

Crossing the border *can* be a nightmare, but
usually isn't. I'd cross in Lynden rather than Blaine, it's only 1/2
hour or so east. Having a passport will simplify crossings
considerably.

Interesting. Why Lynden? Less traffic? More easygoing personnel?

Oh yeah, taking the I-205 bypass around Portland, OR is still better
than I-5 through it... not by much though. I-405 bypass around
Seattle sucks just as bad as I-5, worse sometimes. Good traffic
reports near Seattle are found at 710 on yer am dial, KIRO. You
*don't* want to go through Portland or Seattle during rush hour!

Thanks. I attempt NEVER to drive in rush hour traffic. Instead I find
something much more fun to do, like take in a movie, museum, gallery,
or a good meal. If I'm tired, I'll take whatever book I have with me
to a park and wait. (I've seen bad traffic jams in CA, but only once
was it slow enough to read in traffic: in HelL.A. for about 20 minutes
where it didn't budge at all in the 4 faster lanes. I-5 is 2 lanes
each way up here and I much prefer that.

---
After they make styrofoam, what do they ship it in? --Steven Wright
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 01:37:43 GMT, the inscrutable pyotr filipivich
spake:

[...]

How LOVELY! Maybe I'll bypass that and go hassle Steve Knight. He's a
wooden plane maker up in Portland who also makes his own irons. He
takes good O-1 steel, shapes and sharpens it, sends it out for
hardening, tempering, & cryogenic treatment, then final hones it.
Good ****, Maynard.

My advice is to take a lunch/dinner break in Fife from oh 4:30 to 6.

Thanks, guys.

---
After they make styrofoam, what do they ship it in? --Steven Wright
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 18:52:10 -0800, the inscrutable Grant Erwin
spake:

Larry Jaques wrote:
From bottom to top on I-5, Oregon takes 6 hours (302 miles). From Salem
to Seattle is 4 hours. The Grizzly showroom is just a bunch of Chinese junk
with real pretty paint. It isn't real big, either. What's on the floor is
mostly drill presses and bandsaws and a few wood machines. When I was there
they had a counter with some stuff under glass, but nothing like their whole
line. They are after all a mail order house.

Crap, I thought that they'd have a huge display and it was the larger
stuff I wanted to see for S&Gs.

I just think if you had to drive more than an hour to get to it, you'd be
disappointed. If you want to see machines, drive north to I-90 then veer
east over Snoqualmie Pass and get off in George, Washington, when you see
the huge quonset hut just south of I-90 on the frontage road. George Washington
Machinery has a *lot* of cool machines to look at, or they used to.

That sounds like a lot more fun.

I might come up the Oregon Coast. There used to be a guy in Port Orford who
had a bunch of machinery. I think he was doing business as Anchor Machinery.

Elephant Hardware is fun to visit on Burnside just east of the river in
Portland, Oregon. So is Powell's Technical Books, especially if you like books
about metalworking. They have thousands of them. Although since the advent of
the Internet, rare stuff doesn't sit there long.

I thought I'd check out the Mission and Tansu hardware maker, Chisler,
in Portland this trip, too. Doesn't Seattle have a couple old layers
of earlier cities underneath it? That sounded like fun as well.

In Seattle, Hardwick's Swap Shop is worth a visit, as is Boeing Surplus, but
both of these places are far, far past their prime. Pacific Industrial Supply
might be amusing for the uninitiated - lots of real big industrial jetsam.

All sound interesting.

Depends on your interests, of course. Post when you get ready to go, lots of
folks will chime in.

Thanks, will do. A friend from SoCal said that the Olympia National
Park was an awesome sight, too. I'll be taking my digital cam with 3
extra batteries, charger, and extra memory with me.

---
After they make styrofoam, what do they ship it in? --Steven Wright
DE

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 12:15:05 -0800, Sunworshipper
wrote:

DE

How do you all do that without the stick on the wire trick to hold the
tensioners back while its being put together? Took me 5 trys to
finally figure that out.

Make sure you're on tdc compression before teardown. Do the chain
then the guides. No big deal.

Reading this stuff has me worried now cause my old ones just have to
be on the bottom of the oil pan. Anyone know how to get the pan off
without pulling the engine.

Did a 88 and a 93 back to back, 4x4's. Loosen the mount bolts,
jack up engine as far as possible and hold in position with a length
of bar stock under the crank nose frame rail to frame rail.(harder to
explain than to do) There is a skid
plate welded to the pan, use a cutting torch and remove the left rear
portion of it.. The pan will
*just* clear and come out with a bit of persuasion bfh 2x4....
The usual stuff remove pan bolts reach in remove pickup tube ect.

All in all a bitch the first time, most pros skip the pan part......

Love my toyotas tough as nails.

DE