Gunner

Default Anyone need a Pickett Slide Rule, 6'?

I stopped in a second hand store today after a doctors visit, and
bought a Pickett slide rule. Its 6' long. Hangs from the ceiling by
chains. G

Anyone interested?

Gunner

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
H. L. Mencken
bigegg

Gunner wrote:
I stopped in a second hand store today after a doctors visit, and
bought a Pickett slide rule. Its 6' long. Hangs from the ceiling by
chains. G

Anyone interested?

What sort of shipping to Euroipe?

email me by replacing "news" with my name

--
BigEgg

Koz

Gunner wrote:

I stopped in a second hand store today after a doctors visit, and
bought a Pickett slide rule. Its 6' long. Hangs from the ceiling by
chains. G

Anyone interested?

Gunner

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
H. L. Mencken

If it's cheap, ya should e-bay it. Lots of collectors of slide rules
still there.

Now if one could only e-bay old pocket protectors and black-rimmed thick
glasses......

Koz

Grant Erwin

Gunner wrote:

I stopped in a second hand store today after a doctors visit, and
bought a Pickett slide rule. Its 6' long. Hangs from the ceiling by
chains. G

Anyone interested?

(Grin) I remember my 10th grade physics class, had one of those up above the
board. The teacher used it to work out problems.

Anyone else, I'd ask them why they bought it, Gunner. :-)

Grant
Lane

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
Gunner wrote:

I stopped in a second hand store today after a doctors visit, and
bought a Pickett slide rule. Its 6' long. Hangs from the ceiling by
chains. G

Anyone interested?

(Grin) I remember my 10th grade physics class, had one of those up above
the
board. The teacher used it to work out problems.

Anyone else, I'd ask them why they bought it, Gunner. :-)

Grant

Notice that he didn't say what he paid for it! grin
Lane

Don Bruder

Gunner wrote:

I stopped in a second hand store today after a doctors visit, and
bought a Pickett slide rule. Its 6' long. Hangs from the ceiling by
chains. G

Anyone interested?

(Grin) I remember my 10th grade physics class, had one of those up above
the
board. The teacher used it to work out problems.

Anyone else, I'd ask them why they bought it, Gunner. :-)

Grant

Notice that he didn't say what he paid for it! grin
Lane

That boy, I say that boy's gonna need a slide-rule t'find me in here!
- Foghorn Leghorn.

Used to - 20+ years ago - know how to run a slip-stick. Bet I couldn't
use one to do 2 x 2 today, regardless of size!

--
Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/main/contact.html for full details.
Bruce L. Bergman

Gunner wrote:

I stopped in a second hand store today after a doctors visit, and
bought a Pickett slide rule. Its 6' long. Hangs from the ceiling by
chains. G
Anyone interested?

(Grin) I remember my 10th grade physics class, had one of those up above
the board. The teacher used it to work out problems.

Anyone else, I'd ask them why they bought it, Gunner. :-)

Notice that he didn't say what he paid for it! grin

That boy, I say that boy's gonna need a slide-rule t'find me in here!
- Foghorn Leghorn.

It gets better: 10 seconds later, "that boy" (Egbert) got out his
slipstick, did that voodoo that he do... and found him.

Looney Tunes flashback. shudder

A Classroom Display Slide Rule is one of those things that's only
useful for set dressing or an actual classroom. Or for getting the
square root of really big numbers... rimshot! ;-)

I wonder if Fry's Electronics (www.outpost.com) is looking for props
for their next store?... A slide rule would fit with Anaheim's
'Apollo' / 'Space Shuttle' theme perfectly, and a bit of a stretch for
Burbank's 'Spaced Invaders' / 'War Of The Worlds' decor. Put it over
the calculator aisle.

-- Bruce --
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545

Don Foreman

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 00:50:14 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

I stopped in a second hand store today after a doctors visit, and
bought a Pickett slide rule. Its 6' long. Hangs from the ceiling by
chains. G

Anyone interested?

Pickett's were metal. I carried a 6" Pickett in my pocket for years.
Is this 6' wonder made of metal?

I always preferred the "action" of bamboo (Post Versalog) at my desk,
but that little metal Pickett was rugged.

Rex B

Gunner wrote:
I stopped in a second hand store today after a doctors visit, and
bought a Pickett slide rule. Its 6' long. Hangs from the ceiling by
chains. G

Anyone interested?

Gunner

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
H. L. Mencken

Yeah, I'm interested!

--
- -
Rex Burkheimer
Rex B

wrote:

I stopped in a second hand store today after a doctors visit, and
bought a Pickett slide rule. Its 6' long. Hangs from the ceiling by
chains. G

Anyone interested?

Pickett's were metal. I carried a 6" Pickett in my pocket for years.
Is this 6' wonder made of metal?

I always preferred the "action" of bamboo (Post Versalog) at my desk,
but that little metal Pickett was rugged.

We were poor. All I could afford back then were plastic slide rules.
But we got by
--
- -
Rex Burkheimer
Daniel A. Mitchell

Gunner wrote:

I stopped in a second hand store today after a doctors visit, and
bought a Pickett slide rule. Its 6' long. Hangs from the ceiling by
chains. G

Anyone interested?

(Grin) I remember my 10th grade physics class, had one of those up above
the
board. The teacher used it to work out problems.

Anyone else, I'd ask them why they bought it, Gunner. :-)

Grant

Notice that he didn't say what he paid for it! grin
Lane

I still have one of these in my storeroom at the university. It confuses
the heck out of the students.

I still have my regular sized ones around somewhere too, but haven't
used one in years, except to show an occasional inquisitive student how
one works.

On the plus side, you could do many three significant figure
calculations (OFTEN 'good enough') as fast or faster than with a modern
calculator, and RARELY made the common 'multi-order of magnitude'
mistakes that now plague our students. They just don't THINK. Whatever
the calculator says, they take as gospel. We see 'em calculate the size
of some sub atomic structure such that it wouldn't fit between the Earth
and the Moon! Garbage in, garbage out ... but FAST, and to ten figure
accuracy. Ignorance is bliss. The concept of the quick, in your head or
on paper, order of magnitude calculation is all but lost.

Dan Mitchell
============

Dan Mitchell
============
Daniel A. Mitchell

wrote:

I stopped in a second hand store today after a doctors visit, and
bought a Pickett slide rule. Its 6' long. Hangs from the ceiling by
chains. G

Anyone interested?

Pickett's were metal. I carried a 6" Pickett in my pocket for years.
Is this 6' wonder made of metal?

I always preferred the "action" of bamboo (Post Versalog) at my desk,
but that little metal Pickett was rugged.

The big demo models were made mostly of wood, but LOOKED just like a
smaller Pickett.

Dan Mitchell
============
Lane

On the plus side, you could do many three significant figure calculations
(OFTEN 'good enough') as fast or faster than with a modern calculator, and
RARELY made the common 'multi-order of magnitude' mistakes that now plague
our students. They just don't THINK. Whatever the calculator says, they
take as gospel. We see 'em calculate the size of some sub atomic structure
such that it wouldn't fit between the Earth and the Moon! Garbage in,
garbage out ... but FAST, and to ten figure accuracy. Ignorance is bliss.
The concept of the quick, in your head or on paper, order of magnitude
calculation is all but lost.

Dan Mitchell
============

For example, I was taught by one high school teacher to estimate in your
head first then use the slide rule or calculator for a final figure. For
example if you're multiplying 11.31 x 36.416, first estimate in your head 10
x 36 = 360, then your answer can't be anywhere near 3600 or 36 or 360000.
That helps a lot.

DoN. Nichols

wrote:

I stopped in a second hand store today after a doctors visit, and
bought a Pickett slide rule. Its 6' long. Hangs from the ceiling by
chains. G

Anyone interested?

Pickett's were metal. I carried a 6" Pickett in my pocket for years.

As did I -- until the numbers and scales were worn off where my
thumb most often gripped it.

Is this 6' wonder made of metal?

Mine is not. It is a nicely made wooden one -- double sided,
with a full complement of scales (and even the yellow finish).

I always preferred the "action" of bamboo (Post Versalog) at my desk,
but that little metal Pickett was rugged.

Agreed. I ran for a long time with a Lafayette log-log one, and
later acquired various K&E ones -- both plastic and the mahogany/ivory
ones, including one 20" one.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Frank Stutzman

Gunner wrote:
I stopped in a second hand store today after a doctors visit, and
bought a Pickett slide rule. Its 6' long. Hangs from the ceiling by
chains. G

Anyone interested?

If you've not already sold it, yes I'm interested. If it is sold does
anyone else have a line on such an item? I've been looking for one for a
number of years.

--
Frank Stutzman

Charles A. Sherwood

Anyone interested?

I would be interested in a normal slide rule but not a 6 footer.
I used one in HS before calculators were popular.
Sounds like ebay is the place to look.

chuck

Dave Hinz

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 17:45:05 +0000 (UTC), Frank Stutzman wrote:
Gunner wrote:
I stopped in a second hand store today after a doctors visit, and
bought a Pickett slide rule. Its 6' long. Hangs from the ceiling by
chains. G

Anyone interested?

If you've not already sold it, yes I'm interested. If it is sold does
anyone else have a line on such an item? I've been looking for one for a
number of years.

American Science and Surplus, in Milwaukee Wisconsin, used to have one
hanging in their (old) store. I don't know if it's gone, or if it's just
not somewhere obvious in their new store. Worth a phone call.

Dave Hinz
Rex B

Frank Stutzman wrote:
Gunner wrote:

I stopped in a second hand store today after a doctors visit, and
bought a Pickett slide rule. Its 6' long. Hangs from the ceiling by
chains. G

Anyone interested?

If you've not already sold it, yes I'm interested. If it is sold does
anyone else have a line on such an item? I've been looking for one for a
number of years.

--
Frank Stutzman

Getting a little farsighted of late, Frank? G

--
- -
Rex Burkheimer

Frank Stutzman

Rex B wrote:

If you've not already sold it, yes I'm interested. If it is sold does
anyone else have a line on such an item? I've been looking for one for a
number of years.

--
Frank Stutzman

Getting a little farsighted of late, Frank? G

No more so than I was when slipsticks were common issue.

I'm a collector. I've got dozens of sliderules. All different sizes,
shapes, purposes and languages. A classic yellow 6 footer would be a
great addition.

--
Frank Stutzman

Gunner

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 21:22:06 +0000 (UTC), Frank Stutzman
wrote:

Rex B wrote:

If you've not already sold it, yes I'm interested. If it is sold does
anyone else have a line on such an item? I've been looking for one for a
number of years.

--
Frank Stutzman

Getting a little farsighted of late, Frank? G

No more so than I was when slipsticks were common issue.

I'm a collector. I've got dozens of sliderules. All different sizes,
shapes, purposes and languages. A classic yellow 6 footer would be a
great addition.

Ill post a couple pictures in the drop box. We can have an open
auction here if anyone wants it. How do we ship it?

Gunner

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
H. L. Mencken
Frank Stutzman

Gunner wrote:

Ill post a couple pictures in the drop box. We can have an open
auction here if anyone wants it. How do we ship it?

Sorry, I'm something of a stranger in these here parts. "Drop box?"

I'll start the bidding at $20+shipping (once we figure out how to ship
it)

--
Frank Stutzman

Lane

"Frank Stutzman" wrote in message
Gunner wrote:

Ill post a couple pictures in the drop box. We can have an open
auction here if anyone wants it. How do we ship it?

Sorry, I'm something of a stranger in these here parts. "Drop box?"

I'll start the bidding at $20+shipping (once we figure out how to ship
it)

--
Frank Stutzman

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/
Not there yet tho....

Lane

pyotr filipivich

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show "Daniel A. Mitchell"
wrote back on Wed, 16 Mar 2005 13:27:14 -0500 in
rec.crafts.metalworking :

I still have one of these in my storeroom at the university. It confuses
the heck out of the students.

I still have my regular sized ones around somewhere too, but haven't
used one in years, except to show an occasional inquisitive student how
one works.

I brought the K&E to a test in Networking. Got the right answers too.
Afterwards the proff wanted to have a look, nostalgia time. I didn't tell
him I got it from my Dad, who'd gotten it on the GI Bill for one class. In
those days, it was the equivalent of the HP CV45s.

"Cool" - and the batteries never run out.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich.

pyotr filipivich

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show Mark
wrote back on Wed, 16 Mar 2005 06:06:18 -0800 in rec.crafts.metalworking :
Gunner wrote:
I stopped in a second hand store today after a doctors visit, and
bought a Pickett slide rule. Its 6' long. Hangs from the ceiling by
chains. G

Anyone interested?

Gunner

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
H. L. Mencken

Didn't the constipated mathmatician work things out with a slide rule?

Number 2 pencil.

--
pyotr filipivich
Gunner

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 15:43:38 -0800, "Lane" lane (no spam) at

Gunner wrote:

Ill post a couple pictures in the drop box. We can have an open
auction here if anyone wants it. How do we ship it?

Sorry, I'm something of a stranger in these here parts. "Drop box?"

I'll start the bidding at $20+shipping (once we figure out how to ship
it)

--
Frank Stutzman

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/
Not there yet tho....

Lane

Ill do it in the morning. Im still mostly bed ridden, and the missus
has the truck, with the digital camera in it. I forgot to do it
earlier...sigh

Gunner

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
H. L. Mencken
B.B.

In article ,
Frank Stutzman wrote:

Gunner wrote:
I stopped in a second hand store today after a doctors visit, and
bought a Pickett slide rule. Its 6' long. Hangs from the ceiling by
chains. G

Anyone interested?

If you've not already sold it, yes I'm interested. If it is sold does
anyone else have a line on such an item? I've been looking for one for a
number of years.

--
Frank Stutzman

http://www.taswegian.com/SRTP/javaslide/javaslide.html
(:
Ya know, playing with this thing for a little while to figure out how
to use a slide rule got me nowhere. Is there anything out there that
describes how to actually use one?

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/
Frank Stutzman

B.B. u wrote:

http://www.taswegian.com/SRTP/javaslide/javaslide.html
(:
Ya know, playing with this thing for a little while to figure out how
to use a slide rule got me nowhere. Is there anything out there that
describes how to actually use one?

The HPMuseum has a fairly good tutorial on some of the simpler slipstick
operations. http://www.hpmuseum.org/srinst.htm

--
Frank Stutzman
Tom Miller

"Lane" lane (no spam) at copperaccents dot com wrote in message
[...]

I had a Physics Prof that use to do calculations in the blackboard, then get
one of us in the class to work out the figures with a slide rule while he
mentally calculated the answer. He was an eccentric old chap and while he
calculated he wiggled his hand in a circular motion,sometimes clockwise
,sometimes counter clockwise. Turned out he had used a mechanical
calculating machine during the war and still mentally twisted his hand
forward or back according to whether he was multiplying or dividing.

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Bruce L. Bergman wrote:
On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 03:23:22 GMT, Don Bruder wrote:

[ ... ]

That boy, I say that boy's gonna need a slide-rule t'find me in here!
- Foghorn Leghorn.

It gets better: 10 seconds later, "that boy" (Egbert) got out his
slipstick, did that voodoo that he do... and found him.

Looney Tunes flashback. shudder

Note that in yesterday's funny papers (A strip called "Over The
Hedge" by Micael Fry & T Lewis, a raccoon pulls out a slipstick to
determine whether he is sufficiently "pure of blood" to become a knight.

I wonder how many kids seeing that strip have any idea what it
is about?

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Lane

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
-and-
Note that in yesterday's funny papers (A strip called "Over The
Hedge" by Micael Fry & T Lewis, a raccoon pulls out a slipstick to
determine whether he is sufficiently "pure of blood" to become a knight.

I wonder how many kids seeing that strip have any idea what it
is about?

Enjoy,
DoN.

I'd say none, unless their dad has a 6 footer hanging in the house
somewhere! grin
Lane

Lew Hartswick

Tom Miller wrote:

I had a Physics Prof that use to do calculations in the blackboard, then get
one of us in the class to work out the figures with a slide rule while he
mentally calculated the answer. He was an eccentric old chap and while he
calculated he wiggled his hand in a circular motion,sometimes clockwise
,sometimes counter clockwise. Turned out he had used a mechanical
calculating machine during the war and still mentally twisted his hand
forward or back according to whether he was multiplying or dividing.

Ah Ha ! a Curta operator. :-)
...lew...

The short answer is that the scales are log scales ( at least the C and
D scales ). So when you add the length of part of one scale to the
other scale, you are essentially adding logs and therefore multiplying.
Or if you subtract the length of one from the other, you are
subtracting logs and dividing.

Dan

Slide table Emil Johnsen Metalworking 4 February 17th 05 12:57 PM
Dictation Slide design questions Bob Woodworking 2 December 4th 04 04:35 PM
Looking for S.B. Cross Slide Gear John J. Malcolm Metalworking 3 January 14th 04 02:30 AM
Question regarding huge linear slide assembly - possibly for sale? [email protected] Metalworking 4 November 26th 03 06:11 AM
Lorch Junior lathe slide rest info? Hans van Dongen Metalworking 3 November 18th 03 04:30 PM