Bob

Default Dictation Slide design questions

I want to modify my wife's desk to add a dictation slide. For those of you
not familiar with the term, its a flat sliding shelf located just below the
desk writing surface. It usually has a small centered knob on the front. You
can pull it out to provide temporary writing space to the right or left of
the person sitting at the desk. I think of it as a cutting board mounted in
a desk with a knob on the front.

I will cut down one of the side drawers to make room for the dictation
slide. What I am not sure about is how to make the joints for the sliding
sides. I prefer to use wood sliding on wood, instead of some kind of metal
shelf hardware. I'm thinking it needs to be some kind of loose fitting
tongue in groove or sliding dovetail.

What do you recommend?

Bob

Leon

Bob I built a desk with 2 of those slides. I simply put a cleat on both
inner sides of the desk cabinet and a cross piece in front where the face
frame may or may not be. The cleats keep the slide from falling inside the
drawer located below when closed.

"Bob" wrote in message
.net...
[...]

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 16:14:08 GMT, "Bob"
wrote:

I want to modify my wife's desk to add a dictation slide. For those of you
not familiar with the term, its a flat sliding shelf located just below the
desk writing surface. It usually has a small centered knob on the front. You
can pull it out to provide temporary writing space to the right or left of
the person sitting at the desk. I think of it as a cutting board mounted in
a desk with a knob on the front.

I will cut down one of the side drawers to make room for the dictation
slide. What I am not sure about is how to make the joints for the sliding
sides. I prefer to use wood sliding on wood, instead of some kind of metal
shelf hardware. I'm thinking it needs to be some kind of loose fitting
tongue in groove or sliding dovetail.

What do you recommend?

Bob

the board is the tongue. build channels and mount them in the desk for
the board to slide in.