Rod Richeson

Default Why can't I find a 1/4" R8 mill end holder

I've checked the usually suspects, Little Machine Shop, Horrible Fright,
Enco, for a 0.25" R8 mill end holder for my mini-mill. I have 2 items I
want to buy individuals holders for and they are both 0.25".

Maybe, just Maybe, I could bore out a 3/16" to 1/4" but my mini-lathe
isn't quite as accurate as I would hope it to be.

Any ideas??

Thanks,
Rod

Rod Richeson wrote:
I've checked the usually suspects, Little Machine Shop, Horrible

Fright,
Enco, for a 0.25" R8 mill end holder for my mini-mill. I have 2

items I
want to buy individuals holders for and they are both 0.25".

Maybe, just Maybe, I could bore out a 3/16" to 1/4" but my mini-lathe

isn't quite as accurate as I would hope it to be.

Any ideas??

Thanks,
Rod

Looks like 1/2" is the smallest common shank size for end mill holders
in R8. However, you can get R8 collets in sizes much smaller than
1/4". Usual suspects have R8 collets, MSC carries 4 different brands
in 1/4". Another solution would be to sleeve the 1/2" holder down to
1/4". Personally, I'd go for the collet, you probably won't be
applying enough side force to walk the cutter out and you'd gain
3/4"-1" extra height over the table over the end mill holder.

Stan

Grant Erwin

Rod Richeson wrote:

I've checked the usually suspects, Little Machine Shop, Horrible Fright,
Enco, for a 0.25" R8 mill end holder for my mini-mill. I have 2 items I
want to buy individuals holders for and they are both 0.25".

Maybe, just Maybe, I could bore out a 3/16" to 1/4" but my mini-lathe
isn't quite as accurate as I would hope it to be.

Any ideas??

Thanks,
Rod

Try http://www.jlindustrial.com part no. BCV-75905M -- this is at the
very top end pricewise, but it shows you they are out there. - GWE
Robin S.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Personally, I'd go for the collet, you probably won't be
applying enough side force to walk the cutter out and you'd gain
3/4"-1" extra height over the table over the end mill holder.

Not only do you gain height, but (more importantly, IMO) you reduce runout.
Endmill arbors are nice for hogging as they don't typically allow the cutter
to move, but they have more runout than a collet which is not good for
smaller endmills.

Regards,

Robin

Jim Stewart

Robin S. wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Personally, I'd go for the collet, you probably won't be
applying enough side force to walk the cutter out and you'd gain
3/4"-1" extra height over the table over the end mill holder.

Not only do you gain height, but (more importantly, IMO) you reduce runout.
Endmill arbors are nice for hogging as they don't typically allow the cutter
to move, but they have more runout than a collet which is not good for
smaller endmills.

OTOH I've had problems getting little
collet-mounted endmills close enough
to the work. The spindle nose won't
clear the clamping or the workpiece.

A collet holder lets you get down into
a hole easier. I guess the best situation
would be to have both collets and holders.
steamer

--You picket three losers. Try MSC or IPS or Travers Tool.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Blah blah blah blah
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : blah blah blah...
Jon Elson

Rod Richeson wrote:

I've checked the usually suspects, Little Machine Shop, Horrible
Fright, Enco, for a 0.25" R8 mill end holder for my mini-mill. I have
2 items I want to buy individuals holders for and they are both 0.25".

You can get them. I got two Collis EM holders from MSC, I think. After
searching
all over, I ended up paying $45 apiece for them, on sale! I really
don't know any solution
other than buying it at full price, unfortunately. I don't know why
this one particular
size is so hard to come by.

Jon