Charles Morrill

Default "easy life"

I do so like to see a machine that's had an "easy life...."
Yes friends, just take a good look at what your getting. It truly is in
"excellant condition."

Aye

Aye carumba....

Chas Morrill

axolotl

Charles Morrill wrote:

I do so like to see a machine that's had an "easy life...."
Yes friends, just take a good look at what your getting. It truly is in
"excellant condition."

....and the "independant paint contractor" painted the spindle nose and
drawbar. And you can just use a converter to run a 460 Volt machine on
220. It's a steal.

Kevin Gallimore

ATP*

"axolotl" wrote in message
Charles Morrill wrote:

I do so like to see a machine that's had an "easy life...."
Yes friends, just take a good look at what your getting. It truly is in
"excellant condition."

...and the "independant paint contractor" painted the spindle nose and
drawbar. And you can just use a converter to run a 460 Volt machine on
220. It's a steal.

Kevin Gallimore

I saw a shaper at an auction spray painted British racing green. The whole
thing, ways and all.

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 20:05:15 -0500, the inscrutable axolotl
spake:

Charles Morrill wrote:

I do so like to see a machine that's had an "easy life...."
Yes friends, just take a good look at what your getting. It truly is in
"excellant condition."

...and the "independant paint contractor" painted the spindle nose and
drawbar. And you can just use a converter to run a 460 Volt machine on
220. It's a steal.

"Gears" are free and found on trees, too.

--
"Menja bé, caga fort!"
Trevor Jones

Charles Morrill wrote:

I do so like to see a machine that's had an "easy life...."
Yes friends, just take a good look at what your getting. It truly is in
"excellant condition."

Aye

Aye carumba....

Chas Morrill

That's pretty cool!

Someone should archive those pictures !

Maybe we will be able to see rust spots through the paint when it
relists... and relists... and relists....

:-)

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Spehro Pefhany

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 00:45:41 GMT, the renowned Charles Morrill
wrote:

I do so like to see a machine that's had an "easy life...."
Yes friends, just take a good look at what your getting. It truly is in
"excellant condition."

Looks like it spent a good part of its easy life as an outdoorsman
rather than cooped up in some corner of dry shop being forced to spin
cutters and such.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Gunner

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 20:05:15 -0500, axolotl
wrote:

Charles Morrill wrote:

I do so like to see a machine that's had an "easy life...."
Yes friends, just take a good look at what your getting. It truly is in
"excellant condition."

...and the "independant paint contractor" painted the spindle nose and
drawbar. And you can just use a converter to run a 460 Volt machine on
220. It's a steal.

Kevin Gallimore

And all the handwheels. At least it doesnt appear that he used a
brush.....

Gunner

It's better to be a red person in a blue state
than a blue person in a red state. As a red
person, if your blue neighbors turn into a mob
at least you have a gun to protect yourself.
As a blue person, your only hope is to appease
the red mob with herbal tea and marinated tofu.

(Phil Garding)
DoN. Nichols

wrote:

I do so like to see a machine that's had an "easy life...."
Yes friends, just take a good look at what your getting. It truly is in
"excellant condition."

Looks like it spent a good part of its easy life as an outdoorsman
rather than cooped up in some corner of dry shop being forced to spin
cutters and such.

Yep! And I wonder about the "independent paint contractor". is
this perhaps one whose normal contracts are painting houses? Certainly
not someone who knows machine tools, anyway.

He also seems to have an interesting interpretation of the term
"universal mill". :-)

And I think that 0.507" is out of range spec for most collets for
use on 0.500". I wonder which style of collets it uses? R8? 5C? (With
Hardinge, I might consider the 5C to be likely.)
Certainly not a Morse 2 and probably not a Morse 3 if one will hold 3/4".

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Dan Murphy

Spehro Pefhany wrote in
news

Looks like it spent a good part of its easy life as an outdoorsman
rather than cooped up in some corner of dry shop being forced to spin
cutters and such.

LOL. That's good. My first thought was that it was stored in a salt mine.

Dan
SteveF

"Charles Morrill" wrote in message
I do so like to see a machine that's had an "easy life...."
Yes friends, just take a good look at what your getting. It truly is in
"excellant condition."

Now this machine is a great example to ask how others feel about some
machines on eBay. Personally, I won't bid on a machine that has been
sloppily repainted (look carefully at the data plate). For one, it hides
the true condition of the machine. For two, if the paint job is that sloppy
I seriously doubt any effort was made to prepare the old surface, so the new
paint (probably cheapest available) is likely to start coming off real soon
after it arrives.

How does everyone else feel about used machines being repainted prior to
sale?

Steve.

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 12:22:57 GMT, the inscrutable "SteveF"
spake:

"Charles Morrill" wrote in message
I do so like to see a machine that's had an "easy life...."
Yes friends, just take a good look at what your getting. It truly is in
"excellant condition."

Now this machine is a great example to ask how others feel about some
machines on eBay. Personally, I won't bid on a machine that has been
sloppily repainted (look carefully at the data plate). For one, it hides
the true condition of the machine. For two, if the paint job is that sloppy
I seriously doubt any effort was made to prepare the old surface, so the new
paint (probably cheapest available) is likely to start coming off real soon
after it arrives.

Half during shipping. That thing was CRUSTY!

How does everyone else feel about used machines being repainted prior to
sale?

I don't think I'd buy one unless they could prove the actual condition
prior to paint, and like this one, that's usually obvious anyway. It's
akin to stopping by a used car lot and popping the hood only to find a
layer of shiny new clearcoat over EVERYTHING, including the hoses and
some of the dirt which didn't powerwash off. The hoses will quickly
rot after that.

Pass.

--
"Menja bé, caga fort!"
Charles Morrill

How does everyone else feel about used machines being repainted prior to
sale?

Steve.

An expert I am not, but I wouldn't repaint a machine unless it's
part of a total rebuild. There's a whole lot you can do to just clean
stuff up. Here's a good listing to contrast the above mess:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

Some of the paint is chipping off, but it looks original, the
machine has been cleaned up, and his written listing shows that he
cares. The out-of-focus photos will cost him, but he wants you to come
by and run it so it makes me want to drive up to New England...

Chas Morrill

bigiron

I have an old Van Norman #12 Mill with the origional "WAR FINISH" still
on it (WWII). Besides a few chips here and there, it still looks
pretty good. I'd be disapointed it if were painted, not only for the
loss of its historical standpoint, but also it's supposed to look
"used"!

Make Quick and Easy Money!!!!! [email protected] Home Ownership 0 February 23rd 05 04:42 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
He will mould the easy carrot and help it without its hair. It can attack cosmetic stickers outside the long solid shore, whilst Julieta nearly teases them too. [email protected] UK diy 0 January 1st 04 12:08 AM
easy laminate flooring ? josepea UK diy 3 December 30th 03 03:24 PM