polymixa

Default "as cast" or "diameter as cast"???

I don't really have much a mechanical engineering background but had to
read some casting/machining prints. Could someone help explain what
"as cast" or "diameter as cast" exactly means?

Thanks in advance!

Wayne

RobG

On 22 Feb 2005 13:52:38 -0800, "polymixa" wrote:

===I don't really have much a mechanical engineering background but had to
===read some casting/machining prints. Could someone help explain what
==="as cast" or "diameter as cast" exactly means?
===
===Thanks in advance!
===
===Wayne

I would assume it means that if the pattern was made to spec that the
item produced by the mold was acceptable as shaken from the mold, with
no further machine or processing needed....
WINDSONG......the ability to play musical tunes by farting!

This is worth repeating for benefit of al newbies!
Jo Ann asked Dr. Solo to remind people that while she has retired from selling GF (and sold
the business to Ken Fischer http://dandyorandas.com/) she has NOT retired from
helping people with sick GF and koi FOR FREE. 251-649-4790 phoning is best for
diagnosis. but, can try email put "help sick fish" in subject. Get your fish at Dandy Orandas
Dandy Orandas Dandy Orandas........you guys got that DANDY ORANDAS

Tim Wescott

Lucky Strike wrote:

the part diameter will conform to the as-cast (raw, unmachined casting
surface) surface/profile specs

"polymixa" wrote in message
oups.com...

I don't really have much a mechanical engineering background but had to
read some casting/machining prints. Could someone help explain what
"as cast" or "diameter as cast" exactly means?

Thanks in advance!

Wayne

IOW "Don't lay a cutting tool on this part of the casting, and don't
even _think_ about charging for it if you do".

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
polymixa

Thanks, RobG and Lucky Strike.

What you said about them was what I initially thought too. But why
would someone put a note on a particular diameter (not the others) of a
casting print with the phrase "diameter as cast"? I thought all
dimensions on a casting print after all are cast dimensions and should
be done "as cast". Am I missing something?

Roy

It may be just a general statement overall, or it could have been
annotated incorrectly (it happens) or that particular section and only
that particular section needs to stay as is from the mold for some
future work to be done by some other process.

On 22 Feb 2005 14:18:31 -0800, "polymixa" wrote:

[...]

Lucky Strike

maybe they want the diameter to hold a particular spec but don't want to pay
for machining?

what is the part material? sand cast iron? die cast aluminum?

"polymixa" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks, RobG and Lucky Strike.

What you said about them was what I initially thought too. But why
would someone put a note on a particular diameter (not the others) of a
casting print with the phrase "diameter as cast"? I thought all
dimensions on a casting print after all are cast dimensions and should
be done "as cast". Am I missing something?

polymixa

Thanks, everyone!

It's powder metal (bronze). The part is some type of floating bushing.
And sorry, I gave the wrong info about the print. Actually it's a
combined cast/machine print with a couple of dimensions having to be
machined out.

Roy's last comment got me thinking. It might be used to indicate that
particular surface be the area where machining fixures should go. Does
that make any sense?

polymixa wrote:
Thanks, everyone!

It's powder metal (bronze). The part is some type of floating

bushing.
And sorry, I gave the wrong info about the print. Actually it's a
combined cast/machine print with a couple of dimensions having to be
machined out.

Roy's last comment got me thinking. It might be used to indicate

that
particular surface be the area where machining fixures should go.

Does
that make any sense?

Sintered metal parts can be held to pretty close tolerances, to me that
annotation means that the surface finish and size are acceptable as
they come from the molding/sintering process, no machining needed. No
sense machining something that doesn't need it. They might also be
non-critical surfaces.

Stan