Default Inexpensive oven style thermostat?

Ignoramus21962 wrote:
I am looking for an inexpensive oven style thermostat to make a meat
smoker with settable temperature. Range of 150-300 degrees F would be
fine. The thermostat would have to have a sensor inside an enclosure,
and control an electric range style heating element. The lowest

prices
that I have seen is about $55 or so. Is there anything cheaper that
I missed?

Thanks.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/ferrups-meat-smoker/

These guys have just about everything for smoking and sausage making:
http://www.sausagemaker.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=274

Not cheap, though. This looks like some standard commercial product, if
you can find out who made it. Their catalog has some other items that
don't show up on the web site.

There's some industrial surplus outfits out there that sometimes have
oddball controllers and thermocouples for cheap, a couple of places to
start are Surplus Center and C&H Sales. Undoubtedly Google will turn
up others.

Stan

Matt

Just go to the dump and rip one out of a thrown away oven.

Don Foreman

On 17 Feb 2005 09:21:48 -0800, "Matt" wrote:

Just go to the dump and rip one out of a thrown away oven.

Or Goodwill or Salvation Army, pick up an electric skillet or toaster
oven for 5 bux. You might need a relay to control the higher current
of the range element.

Bob May

Battery packs have a thermoswitch in them. I don't know the temp at which
they switch off but it is quite warm. There are also other temps available
with these simple bimetallic switches and they can be had with either hi off
or on as desired.
--
Why isn't there an Ozone Hole at the NORTH Pole?

Grant Erwin

Ignoramus21962 wrote:

Thanks to everyone. I am changing my mind a little bit. I have decided
that I can do without a thermostat if no cheap one can be found. I
would simply use a portable electric stove and would adjust heat
setting depending on ambient temperature. There is a couple of
thermostats on sale on ebay, if I can win them for a sensible price, I
would use them, otherwise, I am not interested.

I am also thinking whether it would be sensible to use a little fan to
move air inside the enclosure. I have a ****load of 10-30 watt fans,
including ones with little if any plastic, and could easily wire one
up inside the enclosure, to distribute smoke and especially
temperature more evenly. OTOH, perhaps this is unnecessary. In any
case, the cost of the fan is zero.

There's a 2-burner electric countertop range in a pile of stuff I'm getting
ready to haul out to the corner to put under a FREE sign. Let me know if you
want it. To email me see http://www.tinyisland.com/email.html - GWE

PrecisionMachinisT

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
On 17 Feb 2005 09:21:48 -0800, "Matt" wrote:

Just go to the dump and rip one out of a thrown away oven.

Or Goodwill or Salvation Army, pick up an electric skillet or toaster
oven for 5 bux. You might need a relay to control the higher current
of the range element.

Just do away with the oven element altogether, and use the electric skillet
or wok to hold your wood chips.......

--

SVL

Don Foreman

On 17 Feb 2005 18:26:35 GMT, Ignoramus21962
wrote:

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 11:37:21 -0600, Don Foreman wrote:
On 17 Feb 2005 09:21:48 -0800, "Matt" wrote:

Just go to the dump and rip one out of a thrown away oven.

This is a good advice, except that I cannot really go to a dumpster,
they are not accessible in our area. If I do see a stove on the curb
somewhere, I will follow your advice.

Or Goodwill or Salvation Army, pick up an electric skillet or toaster
oven for 5 bux. You might need a relay to control the higher current
of the range element.

I have some super nice mechanical contactors and a solid state relay
switch also, so that is not a problem. What I am lacking is a
mechanical thermostat.

Toaster ovens and electric skillets contain mechanical
thermostats!!!!!

Gary Brady

Ignoramus21962 wrote:
I am looking for an inexpensive oven style thermostat to make a meat
smoker with settable temperature. Range of 150-300 degrees F would be
fine. The thermostat would have to have a sensor inside an enclosure,
and control an electric range style heating element. The lowest prices
that I have seen is about $55 or so. Is there anything cheaper that
I missed?

Try to find an old electric oven. Often the thermostat is still good
and will do what you want. They're often laying around for free. Check
my website for a similar use of salvaged oven parts.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX
Bryce

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 13:23:38 -0800, "PrecisionMachinisT"
wrote:

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
.. .
On 17 Feb 2005 09:21:48 -0800, "Matt" wrote:

Just go to the dump and rip one out of a thrown away oven.

Or Goodwill or Salvation Army, pick up an electric skillet or toaster
oven for 5 bux. You might need a relay to control the higher current
of the range element.

Just do away with the oven element altogether, and use the electric skillet
or wok to hold your wood chips.......

Hey Sam, does Bing ever post to RCM? He wrote a novel in AMC about
smoking fish. Once the OP gets his smoker going I bet he could use
some tips.

--
Bryce

RoyJ

Use an aluminum electric frypan with the adjustable temp scale. These
typically go up to 400F to 500F. 600 to 1000 watts depending on the
model. Toss the wood chips in and they will char nicely. Keep the handle
outside the box to keep it from melting.

Ignoramus21962 wrote:
I am looking for an inexpensive oven style thermostat to make a meat
smoker with settable temperature. Range of 150-300 degrees F would be
fine. The thermostat would have to have a sensor inside an enclosure,
and control an electric range style heating element. The lowest prices
that I have seen is about $55 or so. Is there anything cheaper that
I missed?

Thanks.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/ferrups-meat-smoker/

PrecisionMachinisT

"Bryce" wrote in message

Hey Sam, does Bing ever post to RCM? He wrote a novel in AMC about
smoking fish. Once the OP gets his smoker going I bet he could use
some tips.

Hiya Bryce,

No, I dont think Bing posts here very often--probly only if its a crosspost
to / from amc........but at any rate, whatever he might have posted on the
topic is probly archived on Google Groups and so could be found that way.

FWIW, I prefer sturgeon over salmon any day of the week--smoked with alder
chips, of course.

--

SVL

PrecisionMachinisT

"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote in message

"Bryce" wrote in message

Hey Sam, does Bing ever post to RCM? He wrote a novel in AMC about
smoking fish. Once the OP gets his smoker going I bet he could use
some tips.

Hiya Bryce,

No, I dont think Bing posts here very often--probly only if its a

crosspost
to / from amc........but at any rate, whatever he might have posted on the
topic is probly archived on Google Groups and so could be found that way.

FWIW, I prefer sturgeon over salmon any day of the week--smoked with alder
chips, of course.

Which gets me to thinking--there's a pretty good sturgeon hole for bank
fishing just on the other side of the freeway from here, at the Todd Rd.
exit off I-5...........its across the tracks at the end of the dead end
road, go towards the river then south--Dupont Rd, IIRC........It's been ages
since I gone fishing......I got two sturgeon poles and could probly round up
any necessary gear--lemmee know if ya ever get a hankering.

--

SVL

Bryce

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:03:09 -0800, "PrecisionMachinisT"
wrote:

Which gets me to thinking--there's a pretty good sturgeon hole for bank
fishing just on the other side of the freeway from here, at the Todd Rd.
exit off I-5...........its across the tracks at the end of the dead end
road, go towards the river then south--Dupont Rd, IIRC........It's been ages
since I gone fishing......I got two sturgeon poles and could probly round up
any necessary gear--lemmee know if ya ever get a hankering.

Thanks for the offer, that sounds like fun. Right now bicycling is
taking up most of my free time, which will be increasing through the
summer. What dates is sturgeon fishing open during the year?

--
Bryce
PrecisionMachinisT

wrote:

Which gets me to thinking--there's a pretty good sturgeon hole for bank
fishing just on the other side of the freeway from here, at the Todd Rd.
exit off I-5...........its across the tracks at the end of the dead end
road, go towards the river then south--Dupont Rd, IIRC........It's been

ages
since I gone fishing......I got two sturgeon poles and could probly round

up
any necessary gear--lemmee know if ya ever get a hankering.

Thanks for the offer, that sounds like fun. Right now bicycling is
taking up most of my free time, which will be increasing through the
summer. What dates is sturgeon fishing open during the year?

Year round, IIRC--but the best fishing is when you follow the bait source.

http://www.nwfish.com/Sturgeon/sturgeon_fisheries.htm

--

SVL