R.H.

Default What is it? XLVIII

Several new photos have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Some have mentioned that it would be interesting to know which group posters
to this thread are from, so if you feel the inclination please include this
with your reply.

I received an email from someone who collects scales and weights, he said
that number 244 (the spherical slotted weight that unscrews into two pieces)
is an old ice weight. I did a lot of searching on the web and couldn't find
anything on ice weights, so I emailed him asking for some more info but
haven't heard back yet. So if anyone can shed some light on this, please
let us know, or you have any antique books maybe you could take a look to
see if they are described therein.

Rob

Jonathan Wilson

267 looks like it might be some kind of bullet
268 looks like a bayonet
270 looks to me like its a picture (painting/engraving or reproduction of
same). The subject of the picture looks like it might be a hunting scene
(with dogs, people on horseback and something in the middle near the bottom
that is the object of the hunt, possibly a fox. You can see the word
"Edward" followed by "V" with some more writing ("VA"?), no clue what it
means. No clue as to the usage/purpose of the object either
271 looks like something for taking liquid from some kind of container (or
putting it back into a container), the screw threads look like they screw
into some kind of bottle or jar or something.
Joe

My guesses:

267 - Acorn nut - cheap variety.

268 - Bayonette?

269 - Small "propellor" or fan blade

270 - Edward Van Altena artwork... grin

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
http://www.autodrill.com
http://www.multi-drill.com

V8013

My eBay: http://tinyurl.com/3n8gj

Matthew Newell

In article , rhvp67
@cinci.rr.com says...
Several new photos have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Some have mentioned that it would be interesting to know which group posters
to this thread are from, so if you feel the inclination please include this
with your reply.

I received an email from someone who collects scales and weights, he said
that number 244 (the spherical slotted weight that unscrews into two pieces)
is an old ice weight. I did a lot of searching on the web and couldn't find
anything on ice weights, so I emailed him asking for some more info but
haven't heard back yet. So if anyone can shed some light on this, please
let us know, or you have any antique books maybe you could take a look to
see if they are described therein.

Rob

267 a firing cap ??

268 a small bayonet

269 end view of a small propellor

270 a box for keeping old magic lantern slides
Gary Brady

R.H. wrote:
Several new photos have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Some have mentioned that it would be interesting to know which group posters
to this thread are from, so if you feel the inclination please include this
with your reply.

I received an email from someone who collects scales and weights, he said
that number 244 (the spherical slotted weight that unscrews into two pieces)
is an old ice weight. I did a lot of searching on the web and couldn't find
anything on ice weights, so I emailed him asking for some more info but
haven't heard back yet. So if anyone can shed some light on this, please
let us know, or you have any antique books maybe you could take a look to
see if they are described therein.

Rob

267. Acorn nut
271. Lawn sprinkler

From rec.crafts.metalworking

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

B.B.

In article ,
"R.H." wrote:

Several new photos have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

266. 1800's Windshield Installation Tool
267. Ninja Turtle Nut
268. Godzilla's Toothpick
269. Business end of a baby extraction crowbar.
270. Unfortunate fox.
271. Drinking fountain adapter for people with two heads.

Some have mentioned that it would be interesting to know which group posters
to this thread are from, so if you feel the inclination please include this
with your reply.

alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.tools... Oops! I mean
rec.crafts.metalworking

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/
rhiannon

"R.H." wrote in message
news
[...]

271 looks like some type of heating element

Rhiannon

Don Murray

271 is a pig waterer.

Don Murray

and 270 is a lithograph
Don

Andy Dingley

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 20:20:28 +0800, Jonathan Wilson
wrote:

268 looks like a bayonet

Lee Enfield No 4 (British, late WW2)

Bob Chilcoat

266 - ?? Clay sculpting tool?
267 - Cheap pressed steel acorn nut
268 - Pre-WWII bayonet
269 - End of small propeller
270 - ?? Top of some sort of box ?
271 - ??
260 - ??
261 - Corporate seal embosser
262 - Mason's pointing tool
263 - Snake bite kit
264 - Masonry nail
265 - Lathe cutoff tool holder

Gunner

266 is a carpet beater
268 is a spike bayonet for a #4 Lee Enfield

Gunner

Rule #35
"That which does not kill you,
has made a huge tactical error"
Puff Griffis

266: Egg dipper
267: Acorn nut
268: Bayonet
269: Propeller
270: Tobacco box
271: Stock water'r

"Don Murray" wrote in message =
=20
and 270 is a lithograph
Don
=20

Mark and Kim Smith

rec.woodworking

#266: Badly designed shoe horn?
#267: Looks like an axle cap for children's riding toys ( pedal cars, etc.)
#268: Bayonet
#269: Propeller
#270: Beverage coaster?
#271: Double filament for a lantern?
Jeff P.

271 looks like something for taking liquid from some kind of container (or
putting it back into a container), the screw threads look like they screw
into some kind of bottle or jar or something.

Looks like a bottle washer.

--
Jeff P.

A truck carrying copies of Roget's Thesaurus over-turned on the
highway. The local newspaper reported that the onlookers were
"stunned, overwhelmed, astonished, bewildered, and dumfounded."

Check out my woodshop at: www.sawdustcentral.com

"Jonathan Wilson" wrote in message
267 looks like it might be some kind of bullet
268 looks like a bayonet
270 looks to me like its a picture (painting/engraving or reproduction of
same). The subject of the picture looks like it might be a hunting scene
(with dogs, people on horseback and something in the middle near the

bottom
that is the object of the hunt, possibly a fox. You can see the word
"Edward" followed by "V" with some more writing ("VA"?), no clue what it
means. No clue as to the usage/purpose of the object either
271 looks like something for taking liquid from some kind of container (or
putting it back into a container), the screw threads look like they screw
into some kind of bottle or jar or something.

Matthew Russotto

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Several new photos have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

266: Tool for manipulating something hot?
267: That's a nut.
268: Bayonet
269: Looks like an orange peel to me, but somhow I don't think that's it.
270: A small framed picture.
271: Part of distillation apparatus?

R.H. wrote:
Several new photos have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

260 dowel cutter
261 seal maker for putting the 'bumpy stuff' on documents
262 mason's tool for smoothing mortar joints
263 snakebite kit
264 concrete nail
266 bottle opener
267 bell of the jungle variety
268 bayonet

--

FF

R.H.

wrote:

268 looks like a bayonet

Lee Enfield No 4 (British, late WW2)

Correct.

R.H.

"Joe" wrote in message
My guesses:

267 - Acorn nut - cheap variety.

268 - Bayonette?

Both correct

269 - Small "propellor" or fan blade

Propeller is the right answer.

270 - Edward Van Altena artwork... grin

Partial credit, not much though ;-)

R.H.

"Jonathan Wilson" wrote in message
267 looks like it might be some kind of bullet

Nope

268 looks like a bayonet

Correct

270 looks to me like its a picture (painting/engraving or reproduction of
same). The subject of the picture looks like it might be a hunting scene
(with dogs, people on horseback and something in the middle near the

bottom
that is the object of the hunt, possibly a fox. You can see the word
"Edward" followed by "V" with some more writing ("VA"?), no clue what it
means. No clue as to the usage/purpose of the object either

The entire object in the photo is known by a specific term, this is what I'm
looking for, the picture is just a part of it.

271 looks like something for taking liquid from some kind of container (or
putting it back into a container), the screw threads look like they screw
into some kind of bottle or jar or something.

That's not what it's for.

R.H.

"Gunner" wrote in message

266 is a carpet beater

The metal part of this one is only 4" long - probably to short for a carpet
beater

268 is a spike bayonet for a #4 Lee Enfield

Correct

R.H.

"Matthew Newell" wrote in message
In article , rhvp67
@cinci.rr.com says...
Several new photos have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

267 a firing cap ??

Nope

268 a small bayonet

269 end view of a small propellor

Both correct

270 a box for keeping old magic lantern slides

This one isn't a box, you might want to recheck the dimensions

R.H.

"Bob Chilcoat" wrote in message
266 - ?? Clay sculpting tool?

The metal is 3/16" diameter, probably too thick for sculpting clay.

267 - Cheap pressed steel acorn nut
268 - Pre-WWII bayonet
269 - End of small propeller

All correct

270 - ?? Top of some sort of box ?

It's not part of a box

271 - ??
260 - ??
261 - Corporate seal embosser
262 - Mason's pointing tool
263 - Snake bite kit
264 - Masonry nail
265 - Lathe cutoff tool holder

Correct, except the embosser is not a corporate seal, these were part of
last week's set.

R.H.

"Gary Brady" wrote in message
ink.net...
R.H. wrote:
[...]

Yes

271. Lawn sprinkler

This one isn't a sprinkler

R.H.

"Don Murray" wrote in message
271 is a pig waterer.

Nope, not a waterer.

R.H.

"Don Murray" wrote in message

and 270 is a lithograph

It's probably reproduction of a lithograph, though I'm looking for the term
used to describe the entire object, not the print.

R.H.

"Puff Griffis" wrote in message
266: Egg dipper

I have no idea what this one is though I think it might be used in the
kitchen. Still researching this one...

267: Acorn nut
268: Bayonet
269: Propeller

All correct

270: Tobacco box
271: Stock water'r

Neither of these is right

Howard R Garner

Several new photos have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

271 is a dual bottle washer.

R.H.

rec.woodworking

#266: Badly designed shoe horn?

I'm still not sure about this one

#267: Looks like an axle cap for children's riding toys ( pedal cars,

etc.)

Probably too small for that, the opening on the bottom is 3/16"

#268: Bayonet
#269: Propeller

Both correct

#270: Beverage coaster?

This one is made of glass and is back-lit in the photo, it's not a coaster.

#271: Double filament for a lantern?

Nope

R.H.

wrote in message
oups.com...

R.H. wrote:
Several new photos have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

260 dowel cutter
261 seal maker for putting the 'bumpy stuff' on documents
262 mason's tool for smoothing mortar joints
263 snakebite kit
264 concrete nail

These are from last week's set and are all correct.

266 bottle opener

Probably too big for that, or maybe for very large bottles.

267 bell of the jungle variety

This one is not a bell

268 bayonet

Correct

Bruce

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 09:05:06 -0700, Don Murray wrote
(in article ) :

and 270 is a lithograph
Don

267. Cap nut
268. Spike bayonett
271. Bottle washer

R.H.

"Matthew Russotto" wrote in message
In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Several new photos have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

266: Tool for manipulating something hot?

Could be, I was hoping someone here could tell me what it is and have a link
to verify it.

267: That's a nut.
268: Bayonet

These are correct

269: Looks like an orange peel to me, but somhow I don't think that's it.

Your right that it's not an orange peel...

270: A small framed picture.

Yes but I'm looking for a more specific term for it

271: Part of distillation apparatus?

Nope

R.H.

"Howard R Garner" wrote in message

Several new photos have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

271 is a dual bottle washer.

Correct

R.H.

"Bruce" wrote in message ...
On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 09:05:06 -0700, Don Murray wrote
(in article ) :

and 270 is a lithograph
Don

267. Cap nut

Yes, though on the package was written a four word description of this one,
and "cap" was not one of the words.

268. Spike bayonett
271. Bottle washer

Both correct

#266: this is irritating, I know I've seen that, but can't remember in what
context.

#267: Nut (fastener) that theoretically isn't supposed to work loose.
Usually comes with cheap toys.

#268: Looks like a syringe needle for animal medication, although the
offset is a bit odd.

#271: Looks like some sort of distillation apparatus from a chemistry lab

The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety
Army General Richard Cody

#268: I didn't mean it! In my last post, I erroneously said this looked
like a syringe needle, I failed to read the dimensions. It's a bayonet.

The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety
Army General Richard Cody
DoN. Nichols

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Several new photos have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Some have mentioned that it would be interesting to know which group posters
to this thread are from, so if you feel the inclination please include this
with your reply.

As I was one who has made this suggestion, I should state that I
am reading/responding in rec.crafts.metalworking.

266) Some kind of tool for lifting hot objects. It might engage the
slots in old cast-iron wood burning stoves for lifing out the
covers for placing individual cooking containers.

267) A formed acorn nut -- designed to be used to keep clothing or
parts of a person from snagging on the end of the bolt sticking
through the nut.

High-quality ones are machined from a single piece of metal,
polished, and plated with chrome or nickel.

This one was formed by folding petals of sheet steel over a
standard hex nut.

268) Rifle bayonet. I don't recognize the rifle from the design,
but it *might* be a Revolutionary War or Civil War period piece.

269) Wood model airplane propeller, shot end on. This one is for an
engine which turns clockwise as viewed from behind the engine.
There are ones made for CCW operation as well.

270) Hmm ... perhaps an image made by removing the silvering from a
mirrored piece of glass, and then backing it with a black
background? If so, there is probably a fancy term for the
process, which I do not know.

271) Hmm ... it looks as though it screws onto a hose. At a guess,
with reasonable water flow, the bent wire pieces spin, spraying
water all around the device. Thus it would be for cleaning
something fairly large -- perhaps the size of air conditioning
ducting or larger, with a serious flow of water beating against
the walls.

Enjoy,
DoN.

P.S. I see that I was looking at item 260 the wrong way around. What
I thought was a bayonet to attach it to a shaft is actually the
cutting end. :-)

Now to see what others have said.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564