Martin H. Eastburn

Default What parts to salvage/sell from a UPS?

Ignoramus18142 wrote:

I have three UPSes:

1. Clary OnGuard 3 phase 5 kVa UPS, no batteries
2. Clary OnGuard 1 phase 5 kVa UPS, no batteries
3. Ferrups 3.0 kVa inline model UPS (no outlets), no batteries

All are working.

I would like to demolish these UPSes, take out what I can sell and
auction these parts on ebay. I recently demolished an even bigger Data
General UPS (about 8 kW) and sold the capacitors from it for $75. The
rest is a big pile of unidentifiable parts. Some look like huge diodes
and transistors. I am afraid that some of those parts have value that
I would have hard times capturing (maybe I took apart a large and
usable rectifier, for example), so, I do not want to make the same
mistake again.

I would like to know which parts of those UPSes are really desirable.

Capacitors?

Rectifiers?

Anything else?

Any thoughts on this will be appreciated. I will use this as an
opportunity to learn about electronics.

Thanks!

Think first. These with no batteries likely have various input voltage taps.
They likely provide various output voltages.

Can they be used to provide the correct voltage to a high voltage motor that is cheap ?
Convert farm like 2 phase into 3 phase on the output ?

Understand what is possible before scrapping. The transformers might be most useful
in the prior concepts. The inverter might be to custom.
Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer

Ignoramus18142 wrote:
[...]

Do you ever find 12v dc power supplies through those government
auctions? I am looking for about a 20 amp one.

Gunner

On 8 Feb 2005 07:42:34 -0800, wrote:

Do you ever find 12v dc power supplies through those government
auctions? I am looking for about a 20 amp one.

www.recomp.tv

They have a bunch of powersupplies, including a number suitable for
plating and so forth.

Ask for Ed Cisneros. Tell him Gunner referred you.

Gunner

" We have all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million
typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of
Shakespeare...Thanks to AOL and WebTv, we know this is not possible."

WHat type do you have?

I need 13.8 volts dc for a 50 watt ham radio and maybe a 5 watt cp
radio. What would i need, 20 amps?

What amperage would you have? What would you want for them?

Rita Ä Berkowitz

wrote in message
oups.com...
I need 13.8 volts dc for a 50 watt ham radio and maybe a 5 watt cp
radio. What would i need, 20 amps?

What amperage would you have? What would you want for them?

Don't waste your time screwing around and just go ahead and order a 20 Amp
Astron and be done with it.

Rita

Rita =C4 Berkowitz wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
I need 13.8 volts dc for a 50 watt ham radio and maybe a 5 watt cp
radio. What would i need, 20 amps?

What amperage would you have? What would you want for them?

Don't waste your time screwing around and just go ahead and order a

20 Amp
Astron and be done with it.
=20
=20
Rita

They are expensive and I am trying to do this cheaply.