DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   What parts to salvage/sell from a UPS? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/89836-re-what-parts-salvage-sell-ups.html)

Martin H. Eastburn February 5th 05 07:29 AM

What parts to salvage/sell from a UPS?

Ignoramus18142 wrote:

I have three UPSes:

1. Clary OnGuard 3 phase 5 kVa UPS, no batteries
2. Clary OnGuard 1 phase 5 kVa UPS, no batteries
3. Ferrups 3.0 kVa inline model UPS (no outlets), no batteries

All are working.

I would like to demolish these UPSes, take out what I can sell and
auction these parts on ebay. I recently demolished an even bigger Data
General UPS (about 8 kW) and sold the capacitors from it for $75. The
rest is a big pile of unidentifiable parts. Some look like huge diodes
and transistors. I am afraid that some of those parts have value that
I would have hard times capturing (maybe I took apart a large and
usable rectifier, for example), so, I do not want to make the same
mistake again.

I would like to know which parts of those UPSes are really desirable.

Capacitors?

Rectifiers?

Anything else?

Any thoughts on this will be appreciated. I will use this as an
opportunity to learn about electronics.

Thanks!

Think first. These with no batteries likely have various input voltage taps.
They likely provide various output voltages.

Can they be used to provide the correct voltage to a high voltage motor that is cheap ?
Convert farm like 2 phase into 3 phase on the output ?

Understand what is possible before scrapping. The transformers might be most useful
in the prior concepts. The inverter might be to custom.
Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer

[email protected] February 8th 05 03:42 PM

Ignoramus18142 wrote:
[...]

Do you ever find 12v dc power supplies through those government
auctions? I am looking for about a 20 amp one.

Gunner February 8th 05 05:26 PM

On 8 Feb 2005 07:42:34 -0800, wrote:

Do you ever find 12v dc power supplies through those government
auctions? I am looking for about a 20 amp one.

www.recomp.tv

They have a bunch of powersupplies, including a number suitable for
plating and so forth.

Ask for Ed Cisneros. Tell him Gunner referred you.

Gunner

" We have all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million
typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of
Shakespeare...Thanks to AOL and WebTv, we know this is not possible."

[email protected] February 8th 05 10:57 PM

On 8 Feb 2005 16:08:00 GMT, Ignoramus6625
wrote:

On 8 Feb 2005 07:42:34 -0800, wrote:
Do you ever find 12v dc power supplies through those government
auctions? I am looking for about a 20 amp one.

I do not have anything like that right now, I believe that I have a
24V or 48V one, but have not checked it out yet. Can you use a battery
charger? I bought one at walmart for about $80, it can supply 20A 14
or so volts continuously.

You don't want a battery charger - they are poorly filtered and poorly
regulated. A good HAM radio mobile power supply, or one from a stereo
(auto) demo rack does a good job. I have an 11 amp unit, and used to
have a 25.

Don Lancaster February 8th 05 11:12 PM

wrote:
Ignoramus18142 wrote:

[...]

I can't even give these away.
Especially the old heavy linear ones.

How many dozen do you want?

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster
Synergetics 3860 West First Street Box 809 Thatcher, AZ 85552
voice: (928)428-4073 email:

Please visit my GURU's LAIR web site at
http://www.tinaja.com

[email protected] February 10th 05 01:30 PM

WHat type do you have?

Don Lancaster February 10th 05 03:46 PM

wrote:
WHat type do you have?

Clarendon, Bodini, Souvenir, or Optima.

[email protected] February 10th 05 10:18 PM

I need 13.8 volts dc for a 50 watt ham radio and maybe a 5 watt cp
radio. What would i need, 20 amps?

What amperage would you have? What would you want for them?

Rita Ä Berkowitz February 10th 05 10:31 PM

wrote in message
oups.com...
I need 13.8 volts dc for a 50 watt ham radio and maybe a 5 watt cp
radio. What would i need, 20 amps?

What amperage would you have? What would you want for them?

Don't waste your time screwing around and just go ahead and order a 20 Amp
Astron and be done with it.

Rita

[email protected] February 11th 05 06:58 PM

Rita =C4 Berkowitz wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
I need 13.8 volts dc for a 50 watt ham radio and maybe a 5 watt cp
radio. What would i need, 20 amps?

What amperage would you have? What would you want for them?

Don't waste your time screwing around and just go ahead and order a

20 Amp
Astron and be done with it.
=20
=20
Rita

They are expensive and I am trying to do this cheaply.

jakdedert February 11th 05 09:03 PM

wrote:
I need 13.8 volts dc for a 50 watt ham radio and maybe a 5 watt cp
radio. What would i need, 20 amps?

What amperage would you have? What would you want for them?

...another example of a question any 'real' ham should be able to answer for
himself, IMHO....

jak

[email protected] February 12th 05 04:27 AM

On 10 Feb 2005 14:18:13 -0800, wrote:

I need 13.8 volts dc for a 50 watt ham radio and maybe a 5 watt cp
radio. What would i need, 20 amps?

What amperage would you have? What would you want for them?

All you need is about 6 amps (55 watts/14 volts=3.9, 55/12=4.6) , so a
10 amp unit would be lots.

Bruce L. Bergman February 12th 05 08:30 AM

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 23:27:56 -0500,
wrote:
On 10 Feb 2005 14:18:13 -0800,
wrote:

I need 13.8 volts dc for a 50 watt ham radio and maybe a 5 watt cp
radio. What would i need, 20 amps?
What amperage would you have? What would you want for them?

All you need is about 6 amps (55 watts/14 volts=3.9, 55/12=4.6) , so a
10 amp unit would be lots.

And if you want to have true Emergency Preparedness, for the same
price as a heavy power supply go get yourself a 90AH or 105AH Deep
Cycle RV battery and a well filtered small (2-amp) float charger.

You can run as big a transmitter you want as long as it's in normal
short bursts. The charger has all night to bring the battery back up
between uses.

(But make sure to put the battery in a well-ventilated protected
area, not inside the house. Acid, Hydrogen... You can run #2 cable
50 feet out to the garage.)

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545