R.H.

Default Whait is it? XLVII

More photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Dale Scroggins

R.H. wrote:
More photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

260. Round tenon cutter, as for chair framing.
261. Embossing stamp, as once commonly used by notaries.
262. Brick mason's jointing tool, for tooling mortar joints.
263. Snake bite kit.
264. Masonry nail.
265. Lathe cutting tool holder.

Something's wrong. These were too easy.

Dale Scroggins
Jon Haugsand

* R. H.
More photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

260. A tool to uncover some heavy gates, e.g. a man hole cover.

261. Seal tool: Put an envelope with melted seal stuff inside and
bang on the handle.

262. A tree craftman tool? E.g. for carving. (I don't think so,
because it does not look sharp.)

263. Glue repair set.

264. A nail used to tight some bolt with tracks by banging it in.

265. Tool to unscrew difficult bolts.

--
Jon Haugsand
Dept. of Informatics, Univ. of Oslo, Norway,
Jonathan Wilson

261 looks like something you would use to make badges
Matthew Newell

In article ,
says...
More photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

260

261 company seal press ( indents paper)

262 chemistry spatcular (is that spelt correctly?)

263 emergency kit for ??? boat/sail repair

Ron DeBlock

260: some kind of quarter-turn fastener?

261: this device embosses a seal/stamp on paper documents, a notary public
or town clerk would use it for the "official seal"

262: a mason's tuck pointing trowel, used to shape mortar joints between
bricks or blocks

263: first aid kit for venomous snake bites

264: a nail for fastening things (e.g. wood) to concrete

265: lathe parting tool bit holder
Joe AutoDrill

261. Notary "press" or whatever they are called...

262. Bricklayers / Mason's "pointing" tool for the joints between bricks,
etc.

263. Snake Bite Kit

264. Masonry nail

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
http://www.autodrill.com
http://www.multi-spindle-heads.com

Leon

"R.H." wrote in message
More photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

260. Looks like a Brace driven tennon cutter.
261. A Stamp press to emboss paper.
262. Mortar tool for shaping mortar between bricks.
263. Snake bite kit.
264. Masonry Nail

Sunworshipper

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 09:32:33 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

More photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

260 Whait , I've seen something like that before. ;o/

261 Notary stamp that is used on documents that are never looked at.

262 Jointer for masonry. I've got a better one that is drop forged
and is S shaped. That kind suck.

263 Repair kit for my computer.

264 That is a make sure you have your glasses on and willing to have
whole or parts flying at high speed at you things. I prefer the 2"
fluted concrete nails and they don't make them like they use to !
It's amazing how long it takes some to land. Sound kinda like
ricocheted bullets when the heads come off and hit you inside your
nostril.

265 One of those things that I've yet to get. I'm curious how that
would work in a planer. Do the blades fly apart when they fail or
crashed ?
Scott Lurndal

#261 - For embossing the owners name on the page of a book.
#262 - For smoothing the morter between blocks or bricks.
#263 - Snakebite kit.
#264 - Masonary nail.

scott

R.H.

"Ron DeBlock" wrote in message
news

260: some kind of quarter-turn fastener?

Nope

261: this device embosses a seal/stamp on paper documents, a notary public
or town clerk would use it for the "official seal"

Correct, it's an embosser, but not for anything offficial

262: a mason's tuck pointing trowel, used to shape mortar joints between
bricks or blocks

263: first aid kit for venomous snake bites

264: a nail for fastening things (e.g. wood) to concrete

265: lathe parting tool bit holder

These four are all correct.

R.H.

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in
message ...
261. Notary "press" or whatever they are called...

You've got the right idea, but it's not for a notary.

262. Bricklayers / Mason's "pointing" tool for the joints between bricks,
etc.

263. Snake Bite Kit

264. Masonry nail

These three are correct.

R.H.

"Leon" wrote in message
om...

"R.H." wrote in message
More photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

260. Looks like a Brace driven tennon cutter.

It's a cutter, but according to the seller it's not for tennons.

261. A Stamp press to emboss paper.
262. Mortar tool for shaping mortar between bricks.
263. Snake bite kit.
264. Masonry Nail

All of these are correct.

Gary Brady

R.H. wrote:
More photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

260. No clue
261. Notary public stamp
262. Brick mortar jointer
263. An old snake bite kit.
264. Masonry or concrete nail.
265. Lathe cut-off tool holder.
--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX
Jon Haugsand

* Scott Lurndal
To cut between the punctures before sucking the poison out. Some
of the kits had an outer rubber case which could double as a
suction device, but the Mark I mouth was generally more effective.
Just make sure and spit it out. Of course, this was pre-HIV, you'll
get a mouthful of blood too.

Thanks to you, Mark and Kim. This reminds of the probably well-known
story, offensive perhaps, so rot13 :-) :

Gur gjb thlf jrag bhg svfuvat naq qevaxvat orref. Orvat fbzrjung
qehax bar bs gurz unq gb crr, ohg fgnaqvat gurer jvgu uvf ... guvat
bhgfvqr ur ybfg onynapr naq sryy. Bs pbhefr gurer jnf n fanxr,
uvtuyl cbvfbabhf, gung fgebxr naq ovg uvz, lrf lbh thrffrq vg, whfg
ba uvf ... guvat. Uvf fpernz nggenpgrq uvf sevraq'f nggragvba naq
ur pnzr ehaavat naq fbba haqrefgbbq gur fvghngvba. Ur erpbtavmrq
gur fanxr, ohg hapregnva jung gb qb, ur ena onpx gb gur pnzc, sbhaq
uvf pryy cubar, qvnyrq 911, tbg pbagnpg naq rkcynvarq gur
fvghngvba. "Nj," jnf gur nafjre, "lbh zhfg vzzrqvngryl eha onpx gb
lbhe sevraq naq fhpx gur cbvfba bhg. Lbh unir gb qb vg sbe ng yrnfg
unys na ubhe gb or fher!" "Be ryfr?" nfxrq bhe thl. Gur nafjre jnf
"be ryfr lbhe sevraq jvyy qvr jvgu vaperqvoyr, ybatynfgvat naq
haornenoyr cnva." Bhe thl oebxr gur pbaarpgvba naq jrag onpx gb uvf
hayhpxl sevraq. "Jung qvq gurl fnl?" ur nfxrq. "Jryy," gur thl
fnvq, "Lbh jvyy qvr jvgu vaperqvoyr, ybatynfgvat naq haornenoyr
cnva."

--
Jon Haugsand
Dept. of Informatics, Univ. of Oslo, Norway,
http://www.ifi.uio.no/~jonhaug/, Phone: +47 22 85 24 92

R.H.

"Mark and Kim Smith" wrote in message
Jon Haugsand wrote:

*

263. Snake bite kit.

If this is correct, you Americans (and Australians) have an edge over
us Europeans. Snake bites are not uncommon, but I have never heard of
such kits and I don't think that our kind of venomous snake bites
can be healed by such kits. (There is this story of an American
tourist in Norway who slept out in Oslo during a hot summer day.
Suddenly he woke discovering a snake on his body. His shock scared
the snake who stroke and bit the tourist. Being an enlightened
American, he immediately tried to catch the snake so that the first
aid team could invoke correct treatment given what kind of poison this
particular snake used. A short fight followed during which our
tourist was bit by the snake once more. But he managed to kill it,
took it with him and called for help. Down at the hospital (with
pains) he showed the snake. Startled nurses and doctors stared at the
snake. He explained, but got the answer "We have only one venomous
serpent in Norway, the viper." (Anyway, painful as its poison is, it
is not deadly.))

Anyway, why the small knife?

The string restricts blood flow. The knife to open the bite holes ( cut
with the grain!) The rubber cups to suck out the poison. I forget what
the liquid is, maybe antiseptic??

Correct, the antiseptic is applied to the knife and fang marks before
cutting.

I think I like the modern version better than the suction cups.

Modern version:
http://www.gemplers.com/a/shop/produ...14&src=21YA001

R.H.

"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message
.. .
Jon Haugsand writes:
*
[...]

The kit in my photo is one in which the outer case is supposed to used for
suction, but the rubber has hardened and cracked. The smaller rubber piece
could be used on fingers or other small surface areas.

R.H.

"Dale Scroggins" wrote in message
. com...
R.H. wrote:
More photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

260. Round tenon cutter, as for chair framing.

It's a cutter but not for chair framing.

261. Embossing stamp, as once commonly used by notaries.
262. Brick mason's jointing tool, for tooling mortar joints.
263. Snake bite kit.
264. Masonry nail.
265. Lathe cutting tool holder.

The rest are correct except the embosser isn't for notaries.

Something's wrong. These were too easy.

I'll have to dig out a couple of difficult ones for next week.

R.H.

"Jon Haugsand" wrote in message
* R. H.
More photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

260. A tool to uncover some heavy gates, e.g. a man hole cover.

Nope

261. Seal tool: Put an envelope with melted seal stuff inside and
bang on the handle.

Close

262. A tree craftman tool? E.g. for carving. (I don't think so,
because it does not look sharp.)

263. Glue repair set.

Neither of these is correct.

264. A nail used to tight some bolt with tracks by banging it in.

I suppose it could be used for that, but that's not what I was looking for.

265. Tool to unscrew difficult bolts.

Nope

--
Jon Haugsand
Dept. of Informatics, Univ. of Oslo, Norway,
http://www.ifi.uio.no/~jonhaug/, Phone: +47 22 85 24 92

R.H.

"Jonathan Wilson" wrote in message
261 looks like something you would use to make badges

This one isn't for making badges.

R.H.

"Matthew Newell" wrote in message
T...
In article ,
says...
More photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

260

261 company seal press ( indents paper)

Correct, but it's not a company seal.

262 chemistry spatcular (is that spelt correctly?)

Nope.

263 emergency kit for ??? boat/sail repair

Yes it's an emergency kit, but not for sails.

R.H.

"Gary Brady" wrote in message
ink.net...
R.H. wrote:
More photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

260. No clue
261. Notary public stamp

Similar, but it's not a notary stamp

262. Brick mortar jointer
263. An old snake bite kit.
264. Masonry or concrete nail.
265. Lathe cut-off tool holder.

These are all correct. Several people have correctly named the masonry
nail, but nobody has yet included the word that describes the grooves on it.

R.H.

"Sunworshipper" wrote in message
On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 09:32:33 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

More photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

260 Whait , I've seen something like that before. ;o/

261 Notary stamp that is used on documents that are never looked at.

95% correct, as mentioned in other posts, it's similar to a notary stamp but
that's not what it is.

262 Jointer for masonry. I've got a better one that is drop forged
and is S shaped. That kind suck.

Yes

263 Repair kit for my computer.

Your computer must be even worse than mine...

264 That is a make sure you have your glasses on and willing to have
whole or parts flying at high speed at you things. I prefer the 2"
fluted concrete nails and they don't make them like they use to !
It's amazing how long it takes some to land. Sound kinda like
ricocheted bullets when the heads come off and hit you inside your
nostril.

Fluted masonry nail is correct. I've never worked with them, sounds a
little perilous.

265 One of those things that I've yet to get. I'm curious how that
would work in a planer. Do the blades fly apart when they fail or
crashed ?

I've never used one of these either.

R.H.

For some reason when I clicked on your post, I got a message that said
it was no longer on the server, but I found it on Google.

#261 - For embossing the owners name on the page of a book.

Correct, it has my name and intials on it along with "Library of" at
the top, given to me as a gift years ago.

#262 - For smoothing the morter between blocks or bricks.
#263 - Snakebite kit.
#264 - Masonary nail.

These are all correct.

Eric R Snow

On 04 Feb 2005 00:09:57 +0100, Jon Haugsand
wrote:

[...]

Boy, that's hilarious! You're gonna die!
ERS
R.H.

I think I posted this set too early in the morning, I made a typo in the
title and forgot to mention that answers were also posted for the previous
set.

And since a number of people have already replied correctly on number 263, I
added a page in which I've provided a little more info on the snake bite
kit, including photos of some of the instructions:

http://pzphotosan50.blogspot.com/

Rob

R.H.

"Leon" wrote in message
om...

"R.H." wrote in message
More photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

260. Looks like a Brace driven tennon cutter.

On second thought this is probably correct. It was marked as being a spoke
cutter, which is probably similar enough to a tennon cutter to be deemed
right.

Patrick Hamlyn

Jon Haugsand wrote:

Anyway, why the small knife?

Clearly to avoid the debacle of attempting to capture the snake and getting
bitten again. Use the knife to fatally wound the snake as it glides away, then
the medical team can track it by the trail of blood and find out what bit you.

Of course this is superfluous in Norway where you get only one venomous snake.
In this instance the knife is purely for revenge.
--
Patrick Hamlyn posting from Perth, Western Australia
Windsurfing capital of the Southern Hemisphere
Julie

Jon Haugsand wrote:
263. Snake bite kit.

If this is correct, you Americans (and Australians) have an edge over
us Europeans.

We just have lots of lawyers.

--julie

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
More photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

O.K. I managed to hit your list announcement *before* seeing
anybody's answers first, so I'll have a try at all of them before I read
on.

And since I asked about stats of where the answers come from,
I'll state that I am reading and replying in rec.crafts.metalworking.

260) Not really sure. It bayonets onto a shaft, which may rotate
(CW only) or may also reciprocate as well (or only).

At a first guess, it is either the cutter bar from some kind of
nibbler, or is used to tie string or cord around something.

261) A paper stamp -- for either pressing a notary's seal into a
document being certified, or as an "ex libris" kind of stamp for
books. Perhaps private, perhaps a library. To tell, we would
need to stamp it into a blank sheet of paper and examine what ws
produced. It uses no ink, and works by adding visible texture
to the paper. (Hard to alter a signature over which it has been
operated.)

262) Possibly used for scooping dry chemicals and shaking little
amounts into the pan of a balance (usually on a piece of filter
paper) to measure out a precise amount.

Maybe a "spoon" for melting wax to seal accordion reed plates to
the reedboxes.

Maybe a device for guiding the gasket over a replacement
windshield.

263) A snake-bite kit.

264) A concrete nail.

265) A lathe toolholder for a parting tool. It fits into a
so-called "lantern style" toolpost. The parting blade is placed
in the groove on the side, and held by the half-round headed
bolt drawn in by the nut on the other side.

It looks as though it was made by Armstrong -- one of the
long-time makers of such holders.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Jim C Roberts

Darn! 6 hours after the Original post are there are already a ton of
nerve to post to the last one,(only got about half of them right) and yet
I'm gonna try it again.

260. No clue

261. A seal press, notary I believe

262. Masonry tool, maybe called a pointing tool

263. a kit of some kind, already been answered.

264. Masonry nail

265. looks suspiciously like a tool holder for a lathe

OK, now to check out the other replies and see how I did.

Thanks RH for these posts, they are alot of fun.

Jim

#261: Imprinter; used for imprinting seals such as notaries or other seals

#264: Decorative nail

The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety

Army General Richard Cody

B.B.

In article ,
"R.H." wrote:

More photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

260. Iron Leech
261. Document embellisher
262. Canyon carving tool
263. My mom's arthritis pill
264. Nail from a wall in a corduroy factory
265. Device to remove work pieces from lathe centers very rapidly

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/
Andy Asberry

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 23:07:16 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

We have many snakes that will kill you and so do the gents down under. You
can tell by looking at how the skin is "woven" at the bottom side of the
tail as to whether it is posionouds or not.

Poisonous snakes skin scales on the bottom side of the tail are in a Single
row and their eye pupils are eliptical.
Non poisonous snakes skin scakes on the bottom side of the tail are in a
Double row and the eye pupils are round.

Here are some that are found in Texas.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/expltx/jrnat/safesnake.htm

I don't know about the scales but the Coral snake's eyes are round.